Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Brothers of the 4th Ver 1.5.1 {Campaign Mod Released 5/03/09 Updated 14/06/09}

igotsmeakabob!!
    My commander on the title screen is bugged. He appears to be wearing almost every piece of gear available, and is very glitchty-looking.

Kaptin Grommeld
    Known Bugs * Marine on the main menu will be equipped with plasma gun, powersword and plasma pistol and have clipping issues with his helmet, purely cosmetic, causes no problems ingame.
    Please take the time to read the first post.

Thank you Kaptin, it's not like that exact same thing was answered the post before either.
    Brothers of the 4th Dow 2 Mod

If I charge, charge with me
    If I fall, avenge me
    If I retreat, kill me

I'm pretty sure it is trying to display the entire FC squad at once, on the main page.
    If we could edit the UI backdrop to place additional space marines around, that would probably go away (just a theory I came up with on the spot).
    *prepares to be told that everyone already knows that, because he is too tired to read through the thread and check, after having pulled an all nighter on wargear extension mod*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russel
    Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so.

Hm why had been persistent bodies removed?

igotsmeakabob!!

Wow.
    Yeah. I actually did scan over the first post before I downloaded the mod... but obviously not close enough.

You missed the Stormshield

He didn't have the stormshield when I first did it >.< I'll amend it at some point.
    Net I have no idea, I poked around a bit and nothing stood out. It isn't the entire squad or we'd see a banner there as well, maybe we'll find a fix in time but for now nada .
    Deus they were removed in a small change version your quite free to still use the older one as only real change between them is the to victory tweak.
    Did this because it can cause a massive amount of lag on less than ideal systems. Future versions won't have it, instead for the version I'm testing at the moment I've increased the body stay time to 45 seconds, not long enough for my personal liking so it will probably change.

Well you could always upload two versions, one with persistent bodies and the other without them.

Well I could always not melt peoples systems, regardless of how good a system is, once the bodies start piling up lag starts to hit.

What if there aren't enough bodies to pile up and lag a system?

I'm sure if I OC my system to its peak, it'll last, that would be enough for any given level (assuming there aren't an infinite or ridiculously high number of enemies to deal with).
    My current settings are ->
    Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHz
    Radeon HD4870X2 @ stock speeds
    8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz 4-4-4-12 dual-channel
    I've had each of the four cores on my CPU up to 4.3GHz, stable through twelve hours of OCCT testing, and my video card OCed to 880MHz Core and 4000MHz Memory clocks (all with acceptable temps).

Buwahahaha.

I still think that it is a problem of clipping characters, though. Or more specifically, the FC squad being designed to host a but one unit, and trying to mesh a series of textures, etc, onto the commander.
    When I tried playing with the FC squad, and giving him two terminator bodyguards (weakened compared to other terminator bits, but still very useful), I ended up running into clipped textures of the sorts as well, and scrapped the bodyguards pending I fix that.

After I complete my wargear extension I'm working on, I intend to experiment with it again (haven't touched it in about a week)... perhaps something will reveal itself.

Oh, and I noticed something about the RBF Convertor - it doesn't seem to do very well with quotation marks and the such. They had converted as question marks for me... repacking a text file into an RBF file may cause problems from that alone, if you aren't careful.

Net on some maps it's not a problem, but say you do the angel gate mission or the defense of argus gate bodies pile up astronomically, especially if you decide to stick around and kill some nids like I do.
    For that mission I tested a 5 minute body timer and there were near a thousand bodies littering the ground and I was lagging up pretty badly.
    By the time I had to pull out had a 1700 kill count of nids, so yeah normal maps are fine, but defense type missions with alot of fighting in a single area or the last mission as well there are too many corpes around, which is why I will probably end up with a body time of about a minute or so, enough to enjoy but not be excessive on big body counts.
    It's not clipping characters it's clipping gear, when you add more units to the force commander it chooses 1 member to display (from my experience unit on the right of him in the equip screen) and then equips all items of wargear deemed in his ebps.
    I could quite easily just go and give the champion only 1 set of gear for 1-20 and there would be no problems, but as we need to at the very least give them a ranged weapon and melee weapon that alone will cause problems.

Thank you Arn.
    The next version will change how the pred and razorback function, I've actually given the pred some armour and damage mitigation so it will hold up to anti vehicle a little bit better, from about 3 hits from a beamy loota to about 5 hits.
    I fixed the razorback scar issues for loading people into it so we can actually use it as a transport now , though I've switched it to the default pvp razorback so it has a max level of 4 and I changed it spawning at the level of the force commander. Also made it a level 20 epic drop due to how powerful mobile reinforcing is in the campaign.
    Ah, that's good news indeed!
    I'm eager to play the next version of this mod, best of luck.

Sounds like a good addition to the Predator, it wasn't *too* weak, it was just that when it can only take 2-3 AV shots, you didn't have a lot of room for error, you had to back it out instantly, whereas I always figured a tank was more something you can plop down and not have to watch too closely, kind of like a tough, mobile turret.

The only time my PC ever lagged was during a Dawn of war 1 game, with me commanding a company(roughly 100) of Movie marines against 7 Insane Orks, each with 500 population. (Thunderhawk>everything except a Monolith)
    One of my friends did the same with Chaos Movie marines and 7 IG and he had tens of thousands of kills. (Frag missiles > Guardsmen waves)

Yippy

Great Mod
    Awesome job, no complaints, can't wait for another update!

Looked but didn't see this bug mentioned: Animation bug with the emperor's champion.
    After equipping the FC with a gun just to see what the squad looked like I switched back to CC, the EC got the sword and the shield back but they where being held as if he was holding a gun, shield held horizontally instead of upright. Thought this was just an inventory viewer issue and proceeded to play, looked at the EC during a mission and he was still stuck in that pose. Watched some battle animation just to be safe and its the funny gun swing that Tac's do. Don't know if this is affecting his dmg.

edit: Pretty sure its tied to level 7, started new campaign got to level 7 and bug appeared.

~
    Last edited by Satyr7; 16th Mar 09 at 10:53 PM.
    “NOBODY expects the Imperial Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Emperor.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.” ~SW(MPFC)

Mashadar
    Zetrial, I tried extracting and editing your mod a bit as a teaching trial, but when I tried compiling it again, the game wouldn't be able to read the file. If it's not too much trouble, can you post the code you used to compile the mod? It would be a lot of help.

Satyr i've had that happen to me exiting out of a game with him equipped with a ranged weapon and loading a game with him with melee but exiting out of the game and reloading and it was fine. Sure it is happening at level 7 or level 8? Could be a wargear typo somewhere for his level 8 equipment. Also the bug mentioned is just the character at the main menu.
    Mash I can't post the code I use because I don't use archive.exe to compile my sga's.

You where right, its level 8 not 7 that I noticed the change.
    I find the crazy menu bug helpful as its an obvious indication that I am playing a mod.

Have a couple of ideas as to what might be triggering it, when I get off work I will go home and play test it until I can find out what exactly is causing the animation bug for EC in-game.
    [ideas: lvl 8, power weapons, travel to forge world(cant think of why this would cause it. This might be a coincidence as both times I have had the FC turn lvl 8, equipped a power weapon(axe in one and sword in another) and then traveled to the capital, where I noticed it.]

~

edit: I tried exiting out and restarting my comp, didn't work. Even tried re-installing the mod, no luck. Started new game, fine up to the point I described above. I agree that its probably a wargear issue, just don't know for certain.

edit: Verified that it is tied to the level 8 upgrade for the EC, though he is holding a sacred power sword & storm shield he grasps for his beloved bolter.
    Last edited by Satyr7; 17th Mar 09 at 11:13 PM.

Alright easy fix then I'll take a look at the level 8 equipment I have for him, may have already fixed it as I have done a wargear tweak in the latest version that should be out in the next 24 hours.

As a suggestion, you might want to take a look at the health distribution between the FC and his buddies. As it stands, he has more than 2/3 of the squad's health, and the standard bearer has even less health than the EC. The other squads seem to have a fairly even sharing of health between their mates.

The champ isn't an ec, it's just a company champion nothing flashy, once we get a model editor might change it but for now *shrugs*

Jive squads don't have shared health, each unit has a seperate health amount and then it adds up to show what you see on the UI. Unless I start to nerf the force commander his health is staying as it is, he is the hero of the game afterall.
    Also both the champ and the standard bearer have the exact same amount of health, only reason the champ lives longer is his shield which adds to his damage reduction.

New version now as well guys. Enjoy.

NinjaFraz
    Yo man i've been having a Problem getting the Mod to work tried using the -dev and it made no Difference i placed thefolder Brothers_of_the_4th, GameAssets, Brothers_of_the_4th.module and Brothers.bat into my Install Folder and nothing happened i think its because i cant get the Brothers.bat to run. im using Windows xp and Not Vista if that makes a Difference

You wouldn't happen to have the 'non steam' version of the game would you?

Game keeps crashing whenever I try to go to the Army Painter. Any idea what could be causeing that?

Nice Update

Mod works great. I thank you very much for sharing this as it is awesome !

Couple of minor things:
    1) Tarkus Elite Tacs lvl 13 the two additional marines with chain swords and bolt pistols have the same animation bug as the company champion.
    2) Still getting an error with the razor back .
    3) Got an error with the predator as it was destroyed by bio plasma.
    4) Cyrus's fall back smoke thingy, did it go off every time any squad fell back? I don't know personally sense I never saw the point until this mod.
    (note: i will try and get the exact error if that will help?)
    -
    5) On Primarch the rippers are FN little bastards. I fear them more then a normal Carnefix especially if there are multiple squads of them. If there in synapse half the time they can one hit marines, making it possible for you to go from full squads to dead squads faster then you can hit the hot keys. Now this is not insurmountable, with some more diligent tactics I have been able to wipe out the little blighters but it just seems so damn hard for a bunch of little lizard slugs with sharp teeth. (most squads where around lvl 7, and yes it got alot easier once I got to lvl 8 but damn those things are dangerous. Maybe its my TT days talkin but those things always where pretty much cheep meat shields and rundown squads.) Can I suggest making there squad sizes even bigger with nerfed health and damage, playing more to there uber swarm tactics of dangerous in large groups but easily gunned down by heavy bolter fire or flamers, and therefore only a threat if there combined in a strike force of nasty nidness, i.e. all the time .
    6) Cyrus's HP sniper shot was a important part to my anti-nid tactics, having a max of 3 and a minute cool down makes it a much less favorable weapon to the bolter, which then blows my whole attack strategy . Can I persuade you to up it to 5 and a 30 sec cool down?
    7) Feel that the vehicles are still to prone to small arms fire and non PW CC damage, in primarch. Don't have a problem with AV but standard infantry weapons from most factions shouldn't really bother a vehicle unless they are being devious and sneaky with the skills and stuff. Explosive such as nades, stikbombs, and the like could be boosted to fill the gap of an infantry soft counter for vehicles maybe.

These last three are my personal and there for it is purely heresy so feel free to and disregard.

Again thanks for the awesome mod.
    Hope relic releases some tools for the community soon. 'wink wink nudge nudge' to you relic

~

p.s. going for the subtle smilie usage but think I failed miserably, there just so fun when its really early in the morning

Deinonychus I have no idea what could be causing that, hasn't happen to me once at all.

Satyr thanks for pointing out the animation bug on them for me I'll fix them up and just take a general look at all my wargear to make sure it is up to scratch.
    Is the error for the razorback when loading troops into it or when it is destroyed? The pred I guessed would still be there as I never did anything on it, I'll try to replicate and see if I can work out exactly what causes it.
    The fallback smoke always worked that way, as long as Cyrus was close and a squad falls back he deploys smoke.
    The rippers would be tough little buggers on primarch due to their increased health at that level, they are cheap meat shields but only on lower difficulties. Primarch throws tt balance out the window .
    High powered shot would stay how it is, as you said was the core of anti-nid tactics and overpowered and made them easy because of it. Now it needs to be used more sparingly and gives the bolter/shotgun/flamer more incentive to use, try immolating a ripper squad, good times.
    The small arm damage on a vehicle is standard relic, fluff wise I agree with you but balance wise doesn't help any when you could just march a pred in first to absorb every single small arm shot and move in troops to do the damage afterwards, makes it a little to easy so i'll probably leave the small damage there, it's not a massive threat to the armour but can put dents in it.

Right on.

Razor back error is occurring when units are loaded. I will get the exact error and post it up today. Forgot that the pred was not included in this patch .
    I understand the TT balance problem with harder difficulties so I will just have to suck it up and brush up on some of those good old micro skills.
    Along those lines do you feel that Sergeant is overall balanced the best?

Always wished they would make vehicles as evil as they are in real life, but then like you said just roll in the pred and wipe out the AV with inf and game over.

~

edit: So I thought to myself 'if I am getting my butt kicked all the time maybe I should try Captain instead of Primarch.' What do you know I love it! In a round about sorta way I should thank you for making Primarch what its supposed to be VERY HARD!
    Last edited by Satyr7; 20th Mar 09 at 1:29 PM.

Okay I'll test the loading again, when I changed it and loaded troops in it worked fine, maybe it has something to do with assigning it to a number key. I'll check and report back.

Apparently the crash isnt related to your mod, it's just when I first noticed it. Tried reinstalling DoW2, no mods loaded. Still crashed when trying to go to Army Painter or Multiplayer.

Is there any way of making the Predator and Razorback have icons on the right of the HUD?

By the way, this is a freaking AMAZING mod. I've been having so much more fun using it than I did with the vanilla campaign.

Other than the icon thing, I do have one suggestion. I'm finding that the squadmates (for all units) die ridiculously easily - playing on normal skill (Marine? I forget) and a single spore mine from a Hive Node decimates everything it hits except the squad leaders up until about level 13. How about significantly raising the durability of squadmates, but lowering their ranged damage output to balance things out? It makes my soul hurt when I lose most of my beloved marines from a solitary spore mine or mortar.

New version out to fix the melee veteran glitch, was a gear error caused by me redoing the weapons and gear for the troops to be more consistant, had them equipped with plasma_pistol_3 when I no longer had one >.<.

Vertigo unfortunately getting icons on the right of the hud is beyond me at the moment, as if it is possible would be in depth scar editing .
    Also if your playing on sergeant the damage done, recieved and health are all standard, if something could kill you in the vanilla campaign it will kill you here too. I don't plan on changing too much of relics standard balancing, if the hive nodes give you trouble develop a stategy for them .

The scar error from loading troops into the razorback seems to change from level to level, for instance level 2 works perfectly with it but after that it has a cry, it would be a scar issue and I'll keep an eye out to fix it but my knowledge of scar files is very limited.

I will announce that I will be taking a hiatus from Brothers for a while, as anything left I want to add requires model editing which we can't do just yet . I will be spending my time on another personal project of my which is a different race campaign, I was originally going to give the guard a go but they are very limited model and gear wise.
    Eldar was never on my radar as honestly they irk me something fierce. Orks I wouldn't mind but the nids give me much more options with what I can do and I prefer them.
    So I am looking at making a tyranid campaign, new wargear, squads but same story. So yes we would be stopping the nid invasion >.<.

flo
    Hey there.

Is there something I need to do to run the mod with the german version of the game?

Because when I start a new campaign nothing seems to be changed. Commander is on his own and Tarkus has 3 members with him.

I'm running the bat file and also tried to add -dev behind the existing lines.

Any suggestions?

Looks like I have the same problem as hivetyrant765 below.
    Last edited by flo; 21st Mar 09 at 12:10 PM.

im having trouble getting the mod to run. ive followed the installation instructions, but everytime i run the brothers.bat, it just starts up the normal DOW2.

If you need any play testers for the nid mod I would like to volunteer. Like your mods a lot and I am sure anything you pull out of your hat will be good.
    Hope they release the tools soon, always was a big fan of the modding community.
    Thanks for the last bit of tweaks, I understand that the scar issues are problematic (I usually never put people in it any ways unless there like almost dead).
    Keep up the good fight brothers.

~

edit: Having problems with the patch. Dl'ed, extracted, executed, mod not working (no menu bug, no additional troops, no stat changes) downgrade to 1.4 and its fine, dont know whats up but .
    Last edited by Satyr7; 21st Mar 09 at 1:54 PM.

Bah I know what I did, put both the data and attrib folders in the main sga.
    Note to self never pack stuff when half tanked and listening to the footy, doesn't go well >.<. Uploading new version now guys. Will be up in 3 minutes

Has anyone tried co-op campaign using the mod?

I have tried and it doesn't seem to work. Bah.
    Embrace-- your mortality.. and accept-- the inevitable.

The Last Stand Hive Tyrant guide

Co-op should work as long as both people have the same version of the mod and don't have -dev mode enabled.
    Masakry posted this pic earlier in the thread
    http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=68780812.jpg
    so they were able to get co-op going.

flo
    Thanks a lot. Works now

lekker_mohr
    somehow this doesnt work for me

I installed everything properly, but simply NOTHING changed ingame as far as I can see(squadsizes are the same, etc).

Not a problem Flo.
    Lekker the solution to that your problem lies in following the brief and simple steps.
    1. Hop in your car.
    2. Drive to your nearest game shop.
    3. Pick DoW2 off the shelf and take it to the counter and pay for it.
    4. Come home and install it and steam.
    5. Install mod.
    6. Profit!

stringbound
    Hi lekker mohr, have you tried the .bac file that came with the mod?
    Starting the game with the .exe results in starting a "normal" game.

To start the mod you need to use the .bac file.
    It´s described in the read me that came with the mod.

I'm always playing co-op with my brother using the mod, so I can safely say it does work. Marvelously too.

String the only reason it won't work if everything is extracted properly and the bat won't run is if they have a 'non steam' pirated version. As with that version the steam extentions of -dev or -modname (used in the bat to load the mod) do not work.

lekker_mohr
    -I have the original game

-there is no .bac file attached to the archive, only a .bat and that one seemed to work just fine.

Sobakaa
    lekker_mohr
    Try this:
    Backup your dow2.module file.
    Open Brothers of the 4th.module, press ctrl+a + ctrl+c, then open dow2.module, press ctrl+a + ctrl+v. It will replace the original file with the mod's data. And, of course, check the ways in [common] blocks. Works fine for me, as my russian version seems don't like addons.

Zetrial
    Don't you think that honour guard is too weak? Charging into ork shootas allways get them killed. Never - FC. Yes, the guy with stormshield is toughter, but doesn't matter - they die at first 5 seconds. Maybe you can give FC rally ability, as there is a banner on one of his guards? Heal is always useful.
    By the way, scout/tactical bolters were increased in range? It's possible now to kill orks in buildings without being shot.

lekker_mohr
    thanks for your help, but that doesnt work as well. bugsplat shows up and the game doesnt even start.

Quetzal
    Just recently got Dawn of War II. So I won't try this mod out just yet. I read the first post, but I don't think I saw it said, do the squad members stay dead if they die? If not, it'd be kinda interesting to see who all makes through an entire campaign. So would that be possible?

Would be possible as you'd just take out reinforcing the problem with that is that you'd never make it past mission 2 due to having to reinforce Avitus.
    Some of the scouts, assault marines and tacts have a scoped bolter, max at 1 per squad that gives them some extra range that is all. Also the upping the champion and standard bearer would make that squad far too overpowered.
    In my original testing before a release I just had the actual items of wargear on the champ and bearer giving him a shield and rally and it was far too overpowered given how strong the FC is himself, for example a free heal means no more health kits needed and they become useless. Melee itself is a hard pressed thing in the mod, charging in while guns are blazing tends to get troops killed, jump packs and teleports are fantastic for evening things up, so are the smoke grenades when you get them at about mission 5.

Sobakaa
    As i said, works for me. Squads are reinforsing normally, and if they have scoped bolters/aura for the bearer, i think that it's not only cosmetic changes.
    Try to replace only the part, beginning from the [attrib:common], without touching [global] block and add -dev or -modname to the .exe file. Make some experiments, i'm sure it's possible to run mods with every version of the game, since they do not reqire steam/WL.
    Zetrial,
    I see. I'll be more carefull with charging like a crazy into unsupressed enemies.

Hmm. Random and tangentially related.

Can you earn GFWL achievements when you're playing a mod?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information