Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Brothers of the 4th Ver 1.5.1 {Campaign Mod Released 5/03/09 Updated 14/06/09}

Feeling a little sleepy Zetrial!
    Remember.... no matter where you go, there you are.

guri_fx
    thanx Zetrial for the quick reply

i was half way into the compaign when i realised i wasnt enjoying that much.....never paid attention to the weapons of other squad members so just wanted to make sure,as I am also working on some kind of mod

Only slightly Jay, it was like 6 am when I wrote that lol, when you get on a roll just don't want it to end. Came up with a few ideas I want to implement(reading codex's when tired ftw)
    One idea I'll put out to you guys is I am thinking of making it so your squads cannot retreat, if you throw them in a fight, best be sure they can win it, and no OMG save me button then, if you need to pull out a fighting retreat is what is should be.
    Played one mission last night where I didn't have to retreat, by the time I made it to the next beacon all I had was my sergeants battling along, made the struggle feel epic.
    Brothers of the 4th Dow 2 Mod

If I charge, charge with me
    If I fall, avenge me
    If I retreat, kill me

maybe another thing that ya could use in the brother of the 4th mod zetrial, i found this in one of the pvp files ,simulation\attrib\ebps\pvp\race_marine\buildings sm_deployable_cover.rbf some text line inside the file shows some info , but i am not sure where and which character in game uses this, to set up this "cover"

| ui_ext: {
    | | $REF: "entity_extensions\ui_ext";
    | | ap_killed_kicker: false;
    | | ap_loss_kicker: false;
    | | brief_text: 9106646; -- Click an area then drag and click
    | | entity_name: 9057672; -- Deployable Cover
    | | entity_type: 9057673; -- Building
    | | extra_text: 0;
    | | ghost_enable: false;
    | | help_text: 9039483; -- Build heavy cover.
    | | hotkey_name: "sm_deployable_cover";
    | | icon_name: "deployable_cover";

maybe usefull to get this "building of "cover" " working in the mod , if at all possible

I had actually already thought of that, I know the ig mod on here allows the guardsmen to build sand bags, and I was tempted to do the same for marines.
    Though given I am giving cover bonuses a boost in the next release, I'm considering against it, could just end up people spamming and abusing it, kind of like Thaddeus in termi armour and his invicible teleport, recharges so quick he has perma invicible, adding an energy cost to that eventually as well.

Jacardis
    using your bat file get bugsplat error have followed the direction fully also tried direct installing by adding this to dow.module [data:common]
    folder.01 = GameAssets\Data
    archive.01 = GameAssets\Archives\Brothers.sga
    game loads with this fine how ever i see no change in characters

The archive isn't in the gameassets folder, but rather the Brothers_of_the_4th folder, if you are trying to add it to an existing module file place

archive.01 = Brothers_of_the_4th\Brothers_of_the_4th.sga

And place that under the [attrib:common] section.
    If you did extract the sga file to the archives directory that would be the reason for the bugsplat.

What do you mean about "retreat"
    Do you mean the Fall Back option? I have never used this anyway, can't see it would be a great loss.

Jacardis
    i did clean install of game .. then added your mod again still getting bug splat error

Yes the fall back/retreat, what happens when you press X. It's a save me button for alot of players, this would make primarch and captain on here much for interesting and strategic, especially boss fights as you can't just tap X to save you men from being squished by a special ability.

Jacardis is there a folder showing up when you open up the zip file? If not it could just not be extracting the files without their folder structure which would give you a splat.

Great mod! It's nice to see the modding community has already taken off just weeks after release!

About the retreat thing, it can be kind of a trade off even with it still around, you have to be careful about how you use it, because you can't really retreat a squad in the middle of battle anyway if there are too many enemies. They'll just get slaughtered as they run, maybe you could just up the damage they take while retreating instead? There are times when my squads get stuck or otherwise messed up and I have to pull them back anyway.

Oh that makes sense. Always had trouble keeping my men alive vs boss powers.
    I have been following what you said regarding Corsix' program. It doesn't seem able to open sga files from DoW 2. How do you make the edits without hex editing?

Jacardis
    this is what you have in the zip Brothers_v1.2
    Brothers of the 4th.module
    bothers.bat
    Brothers Readme
    folder Brothers_of_the_4th:
    -Brothers_of_the_4th.sga
    GameAssets Folder
    -Locale Foler
    --English Folder
    ---Brothers.ucs
    this is what i see when i extract it and place all of it in my root dir still error as before

Hmm then it should be right, try adding that line I posted before in your dow2.module and see if the changes come into play then.
    Otherwise what version of the game are you running?
    Vand the way we are modding atm is using sgaviewer2 to extract the rbf files, then using rbfconv to turn that rbf file into notepad editable text files. Then repacking everything.
    That's a thought ghost, if I was going to do that as well I'd remove the speed buff for it as well, leave it in there, but kind of just an auto run back to base rather than lets run faster and take less damage.

Jacardis
    im running 1.0

What version were you running before your clean install? still 1.0?
    That can be the only reason I could see it giving you a bugsplat error.

This mod definetely makes the campaign alot more enjoiable, especially when playing in coop-mod. Still, there are some tweaks to be made, so here's my feedback :

- The difficulty level on Primarch is insane. I got my troops slaughtered at the very beggining till the middle of the campaign. I'm talking about the insane damage of the enemies/ the low hp of the squadmates. In one situation, i got just 1 Eldar Guardian (not a squad, just 1 troop) that actually killed Thadeus's squad and the FC's squadmates. Maybe boost the squadmates hp a little, or maybe make it rise up/level?.

-I got a 5 level Rhino Drop Pod, and well, it's a little buggy. First of all, no drop pod (i know that's a work in progresss) and well, i can call in as many Rhinos as i want (even the tooltip says it can't be replenished on the field). Ocassionally, i can have up to 4 APC on the map, though sometimes the item is greyed out (happened during the Angel Gate Defense Mission). Also, i got some nasty SCAR errors when a Rhino exploded and destroyed some cover around it.

- More wargear would be really nice.

- The squad's AI can be sometime messy. Ocasionally, the squadmates will split and move and different directions, taking alot more time to maneuver.

- Rise up the allied Scouts, Marines, the Predator (in the Angel Gate Mission) hps, at least in primarch difficulty (I'm not a modder, so i don't know if you can put certain valors for one level of difficulty and other valors for another level)

- More ideeas coming soon. Keep up the good work.

Edit : Maybe, in a more developed version of the mode, allow for all 6 squads to be dropped in one mission. That would be....Awesome

Great mod looking forward to seeing more.

I was just writing post as above myself

I'm playing on Captain, and Thaddeus squad was just almost totally destroyed by guardian squad. Two of them were shot when doing the jump, others - in hand do hand combat with damaged GUARDIAN squad. Fall back was seeming as the only option.

In spider amongst the flies - boss fight with warp spider exarch took me 15 minutes... Luckily for me the Tarrantula turrets survived long enough to not allow the boss regenerate during multiple retreat manuevers. Tactical squad vs warp spider squad is a big no-no. Goes down in a matter of seconds.

HP boost is necessary - at least to level of original campaign. Now it's more difficult as on original primarch level.

I'm actually working on the balance as we speak Masakary, hp is definitly getting a buff.
    I've also reworked the armour system as well, so that should make things fairly interesting.
    As far as the multiple rhino drop, beats me why that is happening I'll have to take a look into it, when I tested quickly when I first implemented it I couldn't use it after it ran out, but stranger things have happened. Is it being replenished via supplies?

Edit: Kodi I never lowered hp at all, boosted enemy number and health goes up on primarch and captain.

As far as the multiple rhino drop, beats me why that is happening I'll have to take a look into it, when I tested quickly when I first implemented it I couldn't use it after it ran out, but stranger things have happened. Is it being replenished via supplies?
    That's what i thought too, but no, it just happenes randomly, in this second i can have no charges for the item, in the next, BAM, 1 appears from thin air.

I'm not saying that you lowered the HP, just I thought that HP of each squad member is calculated as (squad_hp)/(member_count) and since members look like they are a lot weaker (c'mon - assault marine losing melee vs guardian?) i just got an impression that squad member hp is lower than in original campaign. If I'm talking bullshit - accept my appologies as I'm still asleep

Nope member hp is indivual, squad hp is squad leader + squad members. Just an added total of the lot, what makes it seem like that is more enemies combined with the damage boost they get from higher difficulties and higher health boosted from here.
    Next update should balance things a fair bit better, I don't want to down enemy damage too much, because boss fights are on par with how I would like them, thinking lower their general damage but ability damage getting a boost.

Edit: Been testing for the last hour or so and I do see the Rhino supply bug, happens with the predator as well, I'll poke in the code and see if I can find something.
    Also the new balance is looking fantastic, your marines are quite durable but can still be eradicated if you just attack move and expect that to win the day for you.
    Last edited by Zetrial; 7th Mar 09 at 4:44 AM.

kuraiken
    Great mod so far, though the squadmates hp needs some adjustment, they die like flies.

Other then that, could you raise xp level to twenty or raise the xp neccessary for each level? I've always been at lvl 20 far too early.
    Maybe the last few levels should really boost the squad commanders and their squadmates but require a lot of xp.

Although, I'd be nice if you could deploy more then just 4 squads. Maybe five out of six.

Also, I'd really like to see items drops more frequently (especially terminator power armor a bit sooner) because often my space marines at lvl 16 still use a lvl 5 weapon because nothing better dropped so far. (Avitus changed his blue lvl 5 bolter only at lvl 18!)
    In return, maybe the xp per item trashed can be toned down a bit or the overall xp you need raised?

Also, how does the increased number of spawns and the tougher maps work with the after-mission rating?
    Because if maps take more time, the time rating ought to be adjusted.

The squads do get a big boost the last few levels, 8 points per level and 10 points at level 20. An xp adjustment could be made, 20 is a bit too easy to reach even in vanilla.
    Terminator doesn't drop at all, there are 3 sets you can obtain via missions and that is it, I might implement just a standard white terminator armour dropable by bosses though.
    The after mission rating I'm leaving for the time being, on the standard difficutly it might take a couple extra minutes but on captain and primarch maps should take a while, if you want a 5 star rating you'll need to earn it, no easy stars found there.

The after mission rating I'm leaving for the time being, on the standard difficutly it might take a couple extra minutes but on captain and primarch maps should take a while, if you want a 5 star rating you'll need to earn it, no easy stars found there.
    That's just what i was going to say. It's why i haven't changed it in my mod.

The point of mods like ours is to make the game more enjoyable to play, but also harder so we have to work at it.
    To ajust the time rating & such to match the harder difficulty would just be reverting it back to vanilla.

Okay I think I may know what is causing the constant Rhino's and what not, whenever you lose a troop out of the command squad it allows you to call force another rhino or predator. Seems like summoning them attaches the unit to the squad and allows the reinforcing.

cade_wells
    wow great mod one small thing for us people with "not the best pc's" can i get a copy with out the corpse mod?

thanks

Considering I would hate to have to go through all of the editing of those guys again probably not, I could quite easily though omit all bar the space marines so you'd only have persistant marines.

angel gate first mission with the pred is a bit strange, normally on primarch if he gets 1 hit its bye bye pred, so i edited said pred, some hp more and other buffs, no chance pred stayed at a measely 412 hp, fc is lvl 12 , pred is also lvl 12, then came the fun the second part of angel gate, the same pred was suddenly at 2000 hp" which i gave him in the 1st mission", sdo my best bet is 1st mission makes in a different way use of scar, then the second mission, btw i didnt got 1 rhino yet lol , but i got the second drop of a pred. for the rest awesome mod , lots and lots of dead bodies, and a heap of fun ^^

For now, only marines is still a huge amount of bodies ^^
    SM scoot's creed
    *Next-gen: adjective, The quality of having advanced graphics, inferior storyline and gameplay, higher cost, increased bugs, reduced content, simplified gameplay, and overall shoddiness.

New version out now, get it while it's still warm.
    You know I may actually end up playing my mod at some point >.< spend far too much time tinkering.

Let me know how the new balance changes pan out for you, I test on a level 5 and level 20 save game and it seemed alright.
    Last edited by Zetrial; 7th Mar 09 at 9:39 AM.

Woohoo, now that's more like it ! Now i can actually finish the campaign on Primarch

Maybe, we'll see how the Avatar fairs, should have a massive amount of hp and be one hell of an endurance fight.

Hmm..my happiness didn't last long the SM are still way too fragile on Primarch difficulty, even with the cover and hp balances. Let me give you examples ->

- Mission 2 -> Tarkus and Cyrus were decimated by a group of Ork ranged infantry, while standing in cover. No special abilities used.

- Mission Angel Gate Defense -> The Mekboy (or whatever is he called) was in a continous sync-killing spree. It was 1-hitting every one my squadmates, except for the Sergeants. Damn, it took like 15 min to finaly finish him...
    Same mission, the tyranid warriors were giving like 2-3 hits to my marines before they killed them. It's oke when there are like, 10 warrios....but when there are like 50, that's really suicide.

It would be nice if you could tone down the damage done by the enemies, while rising their numbers/hp. Right now, it's not funny, nor challenging, i could finish every mission by using Avitus and his focus fire ability....but that would make every mission last 1-2 hours.

Mission 2 - That is why they were decimated, no special abilites you can expect to be massacred, disrupt them with nades, satchels, use suppresive fire and tactical advance.

I've gearing this mod towards very difficult gameplay were you do need to be on your toes and using your troops to the fullest, I don't want a mod where I can just press a then click half way across the map and know they will be fine just fighting that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetrial
    You know I may actually end up playing my mod at some point >.< spend far too much time tinkering.
    Isn't that the truth.

Well, i want the same thing as you do, that's why i chose the Primarch difficulty. But seeing a single Ork Mob killing a whole squad, that's really not a challenge. That's plain slaughtering. If there were like a Ork Mob Squads killing the same squad, now that's challenging.

As of now, squadmates represent just cannon fodder, especially the two FC companions, they are always killed by 1 shot in open ground, and 2-3 in cover. A genetically-engineered marine, with a powerful armmor killed by 1 bullet...now that's not fluffy, nor positive to the gameplay.

Anyway, i still think lowering the dmg and increasing the hp/numbers of the enemy would be the best and simplest solution to this. Or if you can balance in another way, very good. It's your mod after all. I'm just sharing my thoughts/ideeas over here and hope i don't do any negative feedack.

Narzual

Great mod

Greetings, I wanted to say that I love your mod its totally rad and really spices up the campaign.

If I may offer my input though there are a few things that bug me. First I think the assault marines having a flamer should be changed so that he only uses the flamer when thaddeus has a ranged weapon equipped, as it is now the squad will jump in then he will try to melee with the weapon it just looks abit off. I just updated to 1.3 and I have to say the wargear drop rate seems abit to high, I got about 15 drops in 1 mission and that feels abit to much. Maybe cutting the drop rate by 1/3 what it is now would work much better.

Lastly I am not to sure about the command squad. While I love the idea it hasn't been working to well for me. Both members of the squad die almost instantly on the normal difficulty plus they get in the way most of the time when I use To Victory. Maybe bumping up there health would help abit. Also making it so they visually show a jump pack when the force commander equips one so that they use one would be pretty cool. Oh I forgot the Main menu is bugged and trying to show the whole command squad in 1 spot, I am sure you have noticed that lol. Also the shield for the standard bearer I think is bugged, he just holds it out like he is holding a plate. I think you should switch back to the bolter. Aside from those things I REALLY love the mod I think it is fantastic. Keep up the good work please.

EDIT: Typo in the predator drop pod toolip, says in addition to the rhino instead of predator.
    Last edited by Narzual; 7th Mar 09 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Found a typo

Think its been said, but when you load the Rhino you get a fatal scare error. or is that just me? If so how do I fix it as I would love to use it move troops. (hey thats what its for after all )

kuraiken
    The squads do get a big boost the last few levels, 8 points per level and 10 points at level 20. An xp adjustment could be made, 20 is a bit too easy to reach even in vanilla.
    Terminator doesn't drop at all, there are 3 sets you can obtain via missions and that is it, I might implement just a standard white terminator armour dropable by bosses though.
    Well, I didn't mean the stat points but rather the other space marines of the squad.

And I have to agree with a few others. On Primarch it's really too much damage. More enemies, hell yeah - but right now, it's getting a bit away from what would be fun.
    See, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't abuse the fall back command (I actually never use it) and I also don't replenish my squads always as soon as one guy dies. But on primarch with that damage boost, I really have to run back all the time and I feel like I'm commanding a group of housewives instead of space marines.
    And when your guys die instantly, you don't feel like you could do much. Even a frag takes some time to land.

i like the look of this mod alot, but i must note that the FC's squadies die WAY to fast, i sent the FC against 1 ork slugga squad with tarkus as support and i lost BOTH of the command squad guys within a few seconds. i don't even bother to reinforce them anymore.

ooooook
    i just installed 1.3 and i think there is something siriusly wrong
    General marine scaling redone, all marines far more durable.
    dummo bout more durable but 1 ork granade killed half of my team (new game, normal, 2lv, Scouts totaly whiped out and only Tarkus survived out of tactical squad)

That's how nades are working IRL

Nice work with the update, the marines do feel a bit tougher (playing on Captain), my squads are around level 15-16 and all have about 1000-1200 health, so there's not too many insta-KO's anymore, aside from things like Seer Councils anyway. Predator works fine, my only gripe is that it feels a little low HP-wise, but I guess this would be fine if you've got the repair accessory.

Thank you Kodi, and that's how I want it if you let a nade go off in the middle of your troops you deserve to feel some pain, you do have 5 seconds to move them, plenty of time.
    Also I just played through the first 3 missions on normal, first 2 missions didn't lose a single marine, mission 3 I lost the standard bearer a couple times and a couple marines from Tarku's squad because I got lazy and just ended up attacking moving the entire force.
    A grenade on sergeant, will do as much damage as a grenade on sergeant did before, the actual damage done by squads on normal and their health hasn't been touched at all, there is just more of them.
    A grenade on primarch will actually do less damage than what it originall did as the default damage boost on primarch is 450% which I lowered to 300%.
    The same with captain it was 300% damage boost which I dropped to 200%.
    A single soldier put against you will not do more damage than what they would of in default, they take longer to kill that is all.
    The command squad marines are using thaddeus's leveling curve, so they gain as much health and everything as he does and have near 400 health by level 20 on primarch or captain, the only difference in their health then being that Thaddeus gets to assign stats while they get slight buffs from the force commanders stats. They have more health than Tarkus, Avitus or Cyrus.
    On top of that the standard bearer boosts nearby troops, he is designed for when the force commander has a ranged weapon equipped.
    The champion would actually own Thaddeus in a 1 on 1 fight, higher armour and a 20% melee damage reduction alone, I had my champion tanking the bosses on primarch and he didn't die as long as I healed about every 20-30 seconds.
    Both of them have near 400 health when level 20.

Because of the increase of enemies in the campaign recruit is a little easier than the standard sergeant.
    Sergeant is in between standard captain and standard sergeant.
    Captain is a touch more difficult than standard primarch. With primarch being roughly twice as tough as standard primarch, for those who want a tough challenge in their game.
    On the hardest difficulty level it should be tough enough that you can lose a battle, that a defense mission could actually cause you to lose the asset, that you have to take pause and think to yourself okay how am I going to have to do this, to use your consumables as best you can. Throw your grenades before you charge your melee into ranged and they will live alot longer, even marines die when you rush them into the open against enemy fire.

Edit: Thank you ghost they should have about an extra 300-400 health squad wise by level 20, the Pred and Rhino don't have the best health but as long as you keep them away from anti vehicle they can take a pounding. Also your marines at 20 will have over 35% mitigation with their armour, probably up around 50% but can't be sure of exact number. Given the default is 30% max at 100 armour value, you do take less damage.
    @ Lordo I'm not sure, something I need to fix, fatal scare error about displaying abilities, on mission 2 when I first was actually getting the rhino in game it didn't do that, but using it on mission 3 it was >.<.
    Last edited by Zetrial; 7th Mar 09 at 8:00 PM.

I also noticed that it looked like my squads were reinforcing from the predator, which was a little odd. My Force Commander squad reinforced the man they lost, and then Avitus' squad got a guy or two back, but it stopped later, it seemed like an initial thing.

Yup, for all intents and purposes the ability acts like it drops a reinforcement drop pod, so the area it dropped initially will reinforce for a small time after it is dropped in. Now if I can just get a pod to actually spawn and the vehicle not one or the other.

Going back to the scar error I got it again on a defense mission, but this was popping up a few times after the Rhino had died.

One more, light cover seems to me that you might as well not be in any, but Heavy cover works as it should or maybe it just seems that way.

As for people thinking this makes the game harder I agree but with that it also makes more fun and makes you really think, about troop movements and placement.

The cover ratings are as follows
    Eldar shield 90% (up from 50%, may also affect halo shield, not sure)
    Buildings 60% up from 20%
    Heavy cover 50% up from 10%
    Light cover 15% up from 0%

So far myself I have seen scar errors when loading up in the rhino and once when being destroyed, would we be able to copy exactly what the error says, might help me find it in the scar files and what is causing it.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information