Developer's Blog
Register Community Low Fi

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Longins

Default Is that possible to have DotA open source?

RT ...

Can we have a open source dota map with the full original wc3 model data base and dota heroes items and game mechanisms for us to test our ideas and suggestion.

There are lots of interesting ideas in suggestion forum for heroes items and skills but is quite hard for us to tell is it balance or will it work or is there any potential bugs. If we can have a full version of the map then we can work it out and test it to make those idea better and more workable.

So is it possible that we can have a open source test map ?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Super-sheep
Banned

Default Re: Is that possible to have DotA open source?

And then everyone makes their own fake versions of it and starts spreading them on their host bots like cancer.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-sheep View Post
And then everyone makes their own fake versions of it and starts spreading them on their host bots like cancer.
It would not be so easy to add your own content in.

There's a lot of stuff to update if you want to add new content in and have it bug free for the most part.

Do people these days even know how to edit a map?

I imagine the code will also be too all over the place to everyone besides the main developers, which would act as a discouraging thing to those wanting to add or modify it.

Would people know how to optimise the map and Widgetize it so that you can play it online and have it load fast enough?

I do wonder how long it would take to even SAVE the map.

Do people know how to import loading screens and map-preview, or even icons in proper format (ReplaceableTextures\\CommandButtons\\BTNButton.bl p etc)?

If you are able to edit to your pleasing, then you can go around distributing it as you will. But I doubt many people will be able to do so, for it to cause a problem.

I don't think people would even bother with hostBots even if they knew how to edit it. It'll still be mainly just the official DotA.

// http://opendota.xgm.ru/
Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Super-sheep
Banned

Please stop talking like the majority of people would be idiots who cant use simple tools or I report you.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Please stop talking like the majority of people would be idiots who cant use simple tools or I report you.
Go ahead and report me then.

Even if they can use 'simple tools' such as Pitzermike's Widgetizer or Vexorian's Optimizer, how many will know how to edit JASS proficiently (apparently DotA also uses vJass too, which would also require JassNewGen -- but from the code I can't see what aspects of vJass it even uses. Structs? I can't find any alloc/dealloc algorithms, but I digress)?

Further, Warcraft III has been on decline since a long time ago. Starcraft II dawned a community shift and the advent of Dota 2 also contributed to the decline. If we take it back many years ago, perhaps a different story.

To put in words similar to yours,
Please stop talking like editing JASS is something the majority of people can do.

Please stop talking like Warcraft III and fake maps are pertinent or relevant.
On the balance of probabilities, it is unlikely the issue you raised as an objection to this idea will be likely to manifest.

Although I do support the decision, I do not think it will be released until IceFrog decides to abandon DotA 1.
Last edited by 6.79; 10-14-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Wrooks

Quote:
ill second his comment....even getting simple things done in warc3 is frustrating it takes years to be able to code proficiently

Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Super-sheep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrooks View Post
ill second his comment....even getting simple things done in warc3 is frustrating it takes years to be able to code proficiently
And its... what? 10 year old game?

And dont say that it takes years.. If you learned software development you can quickly get into JASS or anywhere and some people even started from straight there and its not like they had to sacrifice their children or something to achieve that.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
And its... what? 10 year old game?

And dont say that it takes years.. If you learned software development you can quickly get into JASS or anywhere and some people even started from straight there and its not like they had to sacrifice their children or something to achieve that.
I'm now suddenly curious as to whether anyone would actually bother to get into JASS and map editing if IceFrog released the open source.

That would be.. interesting

I think we should consider the effects this has, both positive and negative:

PROS:
  • AI maps are perhaps easier to do.
  • Testmaps can be made demonstrating a hero in the current DotA scenario.
  • Advanced Mechanics people can have an easier job answering questions concerning the map itself. Also they can submit trigger information much easier as they won't be reading obfuscated JASS (which hurts one's sanity temporarily).
  • People can edit the terrain themselves and post terrain change suggestions.
  • Unobfuscated code can be educational.
  • For the curious minded, they could be satisfied.

CONS:
  • People can edit it and upload it. BUT:
    • Optimising the map. Do people know how to do this? Otherwise the map will be high in memory size compared to currently.
    • It won't matter. Simply go to getdota.com. If you must download the map then clearly it must be fake (also if everyone else has to download it).
    • It would require some effort to edit the map and knowledge. If it uses vJass (which I heard it does), that automatically gets rid of a bunch of the population as people don't know how to use NewGen, what it is or a vJass to Jass compiler. If it doesn't use vJass, do people even know how to modify JASS? They can't add new stuff to the map easily and make it work bugless. For example, items. Do they know that every item has a unit equivalent to create the feature where you can purchase with full inventory?
    • If you can edit the behemoth that the DotA map is, then you must be already insane and do no damage to the public anyway.
    • It could inspire creativity and other derivations (such as the LoD and Imba maps).

Warcraft III is dead compared to years ago in terms of wc3 modding. DotA already killed any competition about 9 years ago (Tides of Blood stopped development ). Releasing it now won't do any harm as no one knows what to do with it or how to even touch it.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Super-sheep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.79 View Post
I'm now suddenly curious as to whether anyone would actually bother to get into JASS and map editing if IceFrog released the open source.

That would be.. interesting
Thats like saying that if I opened a swimming hall I would be curious to see if people would actually learn to swim.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Thats like saying that if I opened a swimming hall I would be curious to see if people would actually learn to swim.
I'm sure there will be a few, but just how many? I wonder if someone will bother to recode DotA completely given the unbofuscated code so a lot of Warcraft III limitations are circumvented.

Ogod. inb4 people spamming THW with "HOW TO EDIT DOTA MAP!?"
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
TheMessenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.79 View Post
It would not be so easy to add your own content in.

There's a lot of stuff to update if you want to add new content in and have it bug free for the most part.

Do people these days even know how to edit a map?

I imagine the code will also be too all over the place to everyone besides the main developers, which would act as a discouraging thing to those wanting to add or modify it.

Would people know how to optimise the map and Widgetize it so that you can play it online and have it load fast enough?

I do wonder how long it would take to even SAVE the map.

Do people know how to import loading screens and map-preview, or even icons in proper format (ReplaceableTextures\\CommandButtons\\BTNButton.bl p etc)?

If you are able to edit to your pleasing, then you can go around distributing it as you will. But I doubt many people will be able to do so, for it to cause a problem.

I don't think people would even bother with hostBots even if they knew how to edit it. It'll still be mainly just the official DotA.

// http://opendota.xgm.ru/
Yeah, importing is easy. The problem is that the map itself is protected. Even Opendota has a sucky cracking, the game doesn't work. Models and doodads are missing, entities on the object editor is also missing.

Map itself is protected and cannot be opened, that IS the problem.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Quote:
About 4 - 7 years...

I'm 5 years old, and i still suck at coding, and i use GUI. Seen on my non-protected test maps.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Kirijo-kun
Banned

watchout...we have coppa rules messenger :3
Old 10-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
TheMessenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirijo-kun View Post
watchout...we have coppa rules messenger :3
what?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Kirijo-kun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMessenger View Post
what?
Quote:
I'm 5 years old
You can be banned because this :3
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
TheMessenger

Quote:
I'm 5 years old in WC3 coding. What, is commonsense that really rare?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Kirijo-kun
Banned

Quote:
my old account was banned because posting almost like that :3 (blame silly PD program).
Old 10-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Well, if you are referring to your physical age as being under 12, they ban you. Despite it being a popular meme, they will enforce it. But you stated it in the context of Warcraft 3 modding years, so you'll be fine.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #18
DracoLich

actually there are no viable protection (only YouTD, i have no time to crack it - dev is very, very good), so u can edit dota freely as i did, f.i., in my test mode.
u just have to knew how.

Im sorry for my awful english.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
CultOfNeurisis

I won't miss YouTD anyway honestly. Plenty of other better TDs in my opinion. I might message Zoatar about how he'd feel on porting his TDs to the Valve engine when it's released.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
Catkillerfive

This isn't that bad of a idea. I mean, Warcraft 3 is almost a dead game (Not a bad game, just old and outdated).

But for your information, Valve is working on the possibility to make custom gamemodes, content and Maps on the DotA 2 Client. Since DotA 2 run on the Source Engine, it is very easy to code and work on in general (Just look at all the content people have created for games like Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike).
Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
DracoLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultOfNeurisis View Post
I won't miss YouTD anyway honestly. Plenty of other better TDs in my opinion. I might message Zoatar about how he'd feel on porting his TDs to the Valve engine when it's released.
i had few hundred of remarkable hours playing YouTD and i have a rly big thanks to dev. Also looking at how its smoothly running anywhere i assume great great works at scripts, which is valuable too. and fuck valve engine, it have nothing to do with any kind of rpg

Im sorry for my awful english.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
Captain Planet
Forum Staff

Location: Frieza Planet 419, because nobody ever goes to Frieza Planet 419
Steam: Freaky Alien Genotype
Guide Writing Award Guide Writing Award Suggestion Award 

Quote:
Only bad or stupid mods ban you for making statements that are clearly false oh wai-
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
Wrooks

hopin that dota 2 sdk is really good....?

Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
Catkillerfive

I've already seen people make costom gamemodes for DotA 2. D2Ware is a example: d2ware.net
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #25
Wrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkillerfive View Post
I've already seen people make costom gamemodes for DotA 2. D2Ware is a example: d2ware.net
yea but using 3rd party stuff now will get you banned so thats a no go. Plus Id rather see an authentic sdk then anything put together by a 3rd party.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #26
pinkypub

Steam: Lunchguy

Quote:
yea but using 3rd party stuff now will get you banned so thats a no go. Plus Id rather see an authentic sdk then anything put together by a 3rd party.
D2ware runs its own servers and lobbies, and doesn't require installing anything to use it, so it doesn't affect matchmaking or anything else that Valve would care about.
  Defense of the Ancients Suggestions Others