FrontDiscussionsChatRulesFAQLoginRegister
Xbox Ecstasy / Xbox Portable Specs
<<123>>
AuthorMessage
chairmansteve
March 20, 2006 - 12:23:55pm1 of 22
 Login
There are some solid rumors of an Xbox handheld game system in development.

What kind of hardware specs would it include? Microsoft could either squeeze the Xbox 360 hardware down into portable size or base the handheld on a new design. Full Xbox 360 hardware is many years away (2012+) from working affordably and with decent battery life in a handheld size. To have Xbox Portable release sooner (2008), the CPU would likely be based on new architecture (e.g. Transmeta, ARM). ATI would be my first guess for the GPU, but PowerVR is also possible.

I doubt that it would have an optical drive (DVD), as that adds unnecessary size and drains battery. Music, movies, and games should be downloaded to the internal storage (or memory cards). In other words, you'd be able to play games downloaded from Xbox Live Arcade/Marketplace. I'd imagine that HD-DVD movies could be ripped (i.e. Managed Copy) to the portable Xbox.

I like the idea of running the same games (Live Arcade) on the home console (X360) and the handheld (Xbox Portable). That's similar in ways to playing the same games on a desktop PC and a notebook PC, watching the same DVD movies on a home player and a portable player, or listening to the same music on a home stereo and a portable MP3 player.

Does Microsoft have to squeeze the full Xbox 360 specs into the handheld? Could there be another solution? Do Live Arcade games have some processing limitation?

Known: Live Arcade games must currently fit within 50MB storage.
Known: XNA Framework allows managed code to run on multiple platforms.
Rumor: Original Xbox games will be downloadable from Live.
Likely: Xbox Portable will have low-resolution display, maybe 640x360.
Likely: Multiple versions (ports) of the same game could be on Live servers.

What does that tell us?

Games that fit within 50MB storage probably won't need 512MB RAM. Xbox Classic games are single-threaded and use no more than 64MB RAM. A gaming handheld in the next few years with screen size around 4-5 inches won't need 1280x720 (720p) resolution. The same games could be playable on a Windows PC, Xbox 360, Xbox Portable, and devices (e.g. cell phones) running Windows Mobile.

Now it's time to put together some estimated specs for the Xbox handheld. One CPU core is enough for single-threaded games. Main RAM size can be as low as 64MB, but 128-256MB should be doable. The GPU should be designed for low-resolution pixel rendering.

Estimated Specs
Transmeta or ARM CPU at 500-1200MHz
ATI GPU at 125-300MHz
128MB 250-600MHz DDR/DDR2 RAM
Internal Storage (8-16GB Flash or 20-80GB HDD)
3.6-4.5" Widescreen 16:9 Display (480x270 or 640x360)
Directional Control, Buttons
WiFi (LAN) and WiMAX (WAN)

Those specs may be possible in 2008 or 2009.
Speedfreak_UK
March 20, 2006 - 1:08:43pm2 of 22
 Login
I like how the battery life and size are rather conveniently left out. It's not like they're important to handhelds anyway, I suppose.
Hawk4x4
March 20, 2006 - 1:14:51pm3 of 22
To: Speedfreak_UKLogin
If it uses flash memory and no optical drive, I see no reason it won't have decent battery life.
Speedfreak_UK
March 20, 2006 - 1:24:37pm4 of 22
To: Hawk4x4Login
I was thinking about the screens and the specs.
Arande
March 20, 2006 - 1:30:06pm5 of 22
 Login
How do you think that the load times would be?

I heard mentioned somewhere that the PSP's loadtimes were rediculously long.

By the time it comes out though, wouldn't the processors have got quite a bit more advanced?
khaid
March 20, 2006 - 1:48:41pm6 of 22
To: ArandeLogin

I doubt that it would have an optical drive (DVD), as that adds unnecessary size and drains battery. Music, movies, and games should be downloaded to the internal storage (or memory cards).
Wouldn't be a very portable much less handheld unit anymore with 4-5" screen and use optical discs.
chairmansteve
March 20, 2006 - 11:01:08pm7 of 22
 Login
Any speculation or ideas on the physical design?

Clamshell, Slate, or Convertible? With a slate design, the game interface would always be visible. With a clamshell design, it can look like an iPod when folded.

How would the game controller work in a clamshell design? Can analog sticks be short enough to be submerged? Triggers, if included, may need to have less depth than the home version. Standard buttons are simple.

Also with a chamshell design, there may be a smaller and lower quality outer screen for simple functions, similar to the iPod screen.
Hawk4x4
March 20, 2006 - 11:19:14pm (edit: 3/20/06 - 11:19pm)8 of 22
To: chairmansteveLogin
How about the top of the clamshell folds completely back? The screen, buttons and analog sticks are all on the bottom, and the triggers and shoulder buttons are on the top, which when open becomes the back of the unit. That way, the triggers won't impede on the closed design and makes the handheld easier to fit into your pocket.

Also, if you use this design, the battery and the memory card slot/internal memory can be housed in the top of the clamshell. This leaves the bottom exclusive to the screen and the hardware.
moofoo3
March 23, 2006 - 5:39:37pm (edit: 3/23/06 - 5:39pm)9 of 22
Maybe rather than using a thumb stick they would implement a wheel sort of like the iPod, and then they don't need to be so thick, and keeps it flat. Same may go with the buttons, maybe something like the iPod center buttion would work well.
Airzonk
March 23, 2006 - 6:49:18pm (edit: 3/23/06 - 6:50pm)10 of 22

Any speculation or ideas on the physical design?

Clamshell, Slate, or Convertible? With a slate design, the game interface would always be visible. With a clamshell design, it can look like an iPod when folded.
If I was to make a guess based on my perspective of where technology and gaming has been going, here's what I think might resemble the Xbox handheld (not including specs)if it came out around 2010 or 2012.

It will be a very slim (1/4" or less) device with one screen and no buttons. The entire area, including the screen will be touch sensitive. It will be simplistc and give the appearnce of being more of a thick peice of paper that you put into your pocket. It will be scratch resistant and bendable. Meaning, you'll be able to bend it to the point that the general popluace will be awed by its ablility to be bended. It will not use insertable media. All games will be downloaded to the handheld from some kind of a device, possibly a kiosk at every store it's games are sold.
View Printable
<<123>>
Xbox Ecstasy / Xbox Portable Specs