Welcome to the Destructoid Forums.

Threaded View

[Level 2: Human]

dtoiddisco The New Podtoid Adventures

HEY KIDS! It’s the official production thread for The New Podtoid Adventures!, which are the animated adventures of Jim Sterling, Jonathan Holmes, and friends. Following the popularity of the last video made early this year, I’m making Podtoid into a serialized cartoon companion to the popular podcast.
    This forum topic will track my progress from week to week and will give Dtoiders the chance to chime in.

Who are you?
    I am Thomas Truong, aka longtime member, Cutie Honey from Destructoid since the days of infamous posters like Electro Lemon and WiiSucks. I work as a media designer for a training video company, but I also occupy myself work on a number of game and animation projects as a freelancer. I also dabble well as an independent but licensed journalist, painter, amateur voice actor, cameraman, crossdresser, and avid hat collector.

What is The New Podtoid Adventures?
    These are a set of animations based on various discussions in the popular Podtoid podcast. Featuring (mostly) unedited conversations between Dtoid staff members, animated ala The Ricky Gervais Show with added background music, wonderful visuals, and hidden easter eggs abound. Scenes are selected from a giant database of segments from the podcast. The title comes from The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, a television show from the late 80s, early 90s. There are reasons for that which will come to fruition within time.

Where can I watch it?
    Jim will stick them up as posts on Dtoid and you can eventually check them out on my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/truongasm.
    A preview of the first episode will premiere at PAX Prime 2012 during the Destructoid Panel on Friday with the blessing of Niero, Dale, and Jim. That’s about as far as we’ve planned. The full episode will go online in late September or October.

When do they come out?
    I’m a fairly busy guy with my own video projects to promote, but I’ll try do everything in my power to release out about 5-10 minutes every 2-3 months. So there will be at least a good and thick 30 minutes of entertaining and ranchy video every year.

Why are you posting about it here?

I (and many others) understand that Destructoid is a site based around its community. So instead of holing myself up and posting on twitter every few weeks that “I’m doing stuff!”, I’ll be completely open about this project. I’ll post almost everything I’m working on from WIP storyboards to assets. AND, I’ll post opportunities for people to contribute stuff that will get into the episodes (more below). By following this topic, you will get EXCLUSIVE links to video previews and music as well. For my own self-promotion, I’ll also be posting the updates on my blog at: http://www.truongasm.com/

I’m more than happy to listen some constructive criticism or suggestions, whatever makes the show better. My goal is to entertain everyone, not just self-inflate my own ego. Having said that, try to limit the amount of segment suggestions, not because I don’t want to hear what you really want animated, but because…
    I’ve listened to every Episode of (new) Podtoid at least three times. I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily a positive thing. Every tic and habit of the hosts is echoed into my memory. I’ve logged nearly every possible segment I’ve (personally) found interesting into the equivalent of a bible in this document. But If there’s a Podtoid segment you personally want me to prioritize, go ahead and voice it, but note that I’ve heard it all, so no need for an extended description.

And How can I contribute?

The New Podtoid Adventures is not just about me, Jim, or Jon. It’s about Destructoid, the community. So periodically, I’ll make a new post on a chance to get user submitted content into Podtoid. Whether you’re an MS Paint artist or the next David Cage, you can get something into Podtoid AND get your name into the credits, for the price of absolutely nothing!

Several cool people have already volunteered contributing to the series:

• Dale North has volunteered to make covers of the music in the show so we don’t get sued if we ever want to monetize on this in the future.
    • SirTobbii’s popular Willem Dafoe posters will make it into any episode that features our favorite actor.

And you can join this list of two visionaries with opportunities every episode. And Dale is a busy guy so there may be room for secondary composers.
    Now that’s the formalities are over with, let’s get to development.

Details on the first episode and how you can help for this first episode are in the next two posts.
    Last edited by Cutie Honey; 08-18-2012 at 05:24 PM.