Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedRT @pczone: Have you signed up for Fight Club Live yet? Apply for tickets now and meet the team! https://www.futurecompetitions.com/figh ...
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Court ruling backs DS flash carts | Assassin's Creed 2 glitch breaks game | Alien Breed out December 16 | Guild Wars 2: Exclusive races reveal trailer! | Silent Hill: Shattered Memories gameplay trailer | PS video store update is decent | Rebellion "disappointed" with AVP Aussie ban | Majora's Masks was "turning point for Nintendo" | PSP Minis playable on PS3 soon? | EA launches branded prepaid debit card | Aliens vs. Predator banned in Australia | Shock: Mass Effect 2 comes on 2 discs | Uncharted 2 gets difficulty "experiment" this weekend | Medal of Honor release date clarified | New Nintendo downloads | Tales of Monkey Island catch-up movie | Borderlands not sent to die | PSPgo "will die" without cheaper games | Max Payne 3 release delayed | EA: We respect Tiger's privacy | Mirror's Edge 2 "deserves to come back" | Lips Party Classics details | Games On Demand for Windows Live | Just Cause 2: Exclusive gameplay video | Valve: Dev's should "challenge their audience"
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Shock: Mass Effect 2 comes on 2 discs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
lonewolf2002
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:05 am Reply with quote

Andy Robinson wrote:
What?! You mean we have to swap the discs?! Disgraceful.

Shocked Noooo it means I will have to get up off my bottom and everything. Crying or Very sad
WoW Realm=Stormrage Char=Loanwolf (human rogue)
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 39

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:08 am Reply with quote

This says to me that ME2 is going to be a bigger Game than the first one!

No complaints about swapping one disc from me then Very Happy .
FiltyMonkey
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:14 am Reply with quote

StonecoldMC wrote:

Or me, I hope the first disc ends on a cliffhanger so then you can rush out, put the kettle on, recoup your nerves, have a dump and then get straight back into part 2. Laughing
altitude2k
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:17 am Reply with quote

lonewolf2002 wrote:
Andy Robinson wrote:
What?! You mean we have to swap the discs?! Disgraceful.

Shocked Noooo it means I will have to get up off my bottom and everything. Crying or Very sad

Even the staff are now taking the p*ss out of certain members Laughing
feedel
Kudos: 8

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:17 am Reply with quote

Quite a lot of pc games have 2 discs these days.

Also, i wonder what will happen when you switch disk, will you still be able to visit the older clusters and do missions there ? or is it a point in the game where you cannot do the older misssions ?
jonbwfc
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:18 am Reply with quote

Any news as to whether this is going to be on Steam yet or not? I'm assuming it is but I haven't actually heard one way or another.
wildhook2
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:32 am Reply with quote

Shame it isn't coming to PS3.

1 blu ray -> 2 DVDs.
WHERESMYMONKEY
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:48 am Reply with quote

Mass Effect > No Mass Effect.

Just install both discs. Problem solved.
voodoo341

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:53 am Reply with quote

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
4 - The Xbox 360 does not have an install and does require disc swapping during play.

phate666
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:57 am Reply with quote

OR..... get it on one blueray?

Please bioware i'll be your best mate! I spent far too much time around my (last) best mates house playing the 1st one
AJDarkstar
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:00 am Reply with quote

voodoo341 wrote:
WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
4 - The Xbox 360 does not have an install and does require disc swapping during play.

Monkey is right, on 360, games that come on multiple discs (like Blue Dragon) can be installed in their entirety, then played using just one disc. The man from BioWare is saying there's no mandatory install disc, because then loads of 360 owners wouldn't be able to play it. An install would probably be wise anyway, as the first game runs much better from the HDD than it does from disc (constant pauses for loading, for example).

And yes, you should be able to revisit old areas, like in Final Fantasy VII - IX on PS1. All the extra data is needed for speech and cutscenes. This leaves more disc space free for all the textures, etc, on both discs.
lonewolf2002

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:10 am Reply with quote

AJDarkstar wrote:
voodoo341 wrote:
WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Monkey is right, on 360, games that come on multiple discs (like Blue Dragon) can be installed in their entirety, then played using just one disc. The man from BioWare is saying there's no mandatory install disc, because then loads of 360 owners wouldn't be able to play it. An install would probably be wise anyway, as the first game runs much better from the HDD than it does from disc (constant pauses for loading, for example).

And yes, you should be able to revisit old areas, like in Final Fantasy VII - IX on PS1. All the extra data is needed for speech and cutscenes. This leaves more disc space free for all the textures, etc, on both discs.

Although the way it has been worded does make it sound like swapping discs is mandatory. Which is odd.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:11 am Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. The CE version of "ME2" will be similar to the CE version of "Dragon Age" then. I want the CE PC version and plan on picking it up as soon as I have the chance upon release.

I can appreciate why having to switch a disc multiple times during a game would be a smidgeon annoying when playing on a console several meters away from where you are sitting (on a PC it's hardly a big deal and in this case won't matter since one disc only is needed after the initial installation) - especially if you keep revisiting different areas of a game that each requires a different disc (ex. "Star Ocean: The Last Hope"). However, since BioWare have gone out of their way to point out that you will only need to switch discs once on the Xbox 360 version I hardly think that is an unbearable inconvenience. I am curious to see as to whether or not it is possible to install the entire game on the Xbox 360 and not have to switch discs at all.
Mark240473
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:16 am Reply with quote

Flippin' eck! You only have to swap the disc once!

If I had to swap 50 discs to play GT5 then I bloody would!

Come on guy's. Sad

EDIT: To be honest, I see it as a positive - it just means that the game is bigger.
PCE Deadmeat
Kudos: 10

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:26 am Reply with quote

"Or me, I hope the first disc ends on a cliffhanger so then you can rush out, put the kettle on, recoup your nerves, have a dump and then get straight back into part 2. "

LOL!! Laughing brilliant, me too.
At least bioware arent selling the discs individually eh. now thats the future. *sigh*

Although: I have kids, and the likelyhood of one of them getting hold of one of the discs, scratching it to Buggery and rendering it inoperable are quite likely. so i get to this Cliffhanger ending, go to swap the discs and get the old "This Disk is Dirty" message. disaster. It should come with an install option IMHO.

Last edited by PCE Deadmeat on 4 Dec 09 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
nottsville
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:26 am Reply with quote

I had no problems changing over the 3 discs while playing Final Fantasy VII, and i'll have no problem at all swapping over a disc for Mass Effect 2.
lonewolf2002

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:34 am Reply with quote

nottsville wrote:
I had no problems changing over the 3 discs while playing Final Fantasy VII, and i'll have no problem at all swapping over a disc for Mass Effect 2.

Exactly these kids with their new fangled Blu-Ray are just being spoiled.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:48 am Reply with quote

PCE Deadmeat wrote:
"Or me, I hope the first disc ends on a cliffhanger so then you can rush out, put the kettle on, recoup your nerves, have a dump and then get straight back into part 2. "

LOL!! Laughing brilliant, me too.
At least bioware arent selling the discs individually eh. now thats the future. *sigh*

Although: I have kids, and the likelyhood of one of them getting hold of one of the discs, scratching it to Buggery and rendering it inoperable are quite likely. so i get to this Cliffhanger ending, go to swap the discs and get the old "This Disk is Dirty" message. disaster. It should come with an install option IMHO.

You might want to consider investing in a small, portable safe where you could store your favourite games. Barring that a sufficiently elevated shelf might do the trick or simply a locked drawer. Smile
flash501

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:57 am Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't care if it came on 10 discs, it's still going to be bloomin brilliant.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 11:58 am Reply with quote

lonewolf2002 wrote:
nottsville wrote:

While it may differ a little bit with consoles at the other end of the living room from where one is sitting, for me personally the epitome of laziness are those individuals who complain about having to place a DVD disc in their PC's disc drive and instead prefer DRM in the instances where it allows them to play the game without the disc (cracks can do the same if one wishes to go that route however); nevermind the poison it introduces in to their PC system and the limit it places on their liberties. My more emotional side feels that such individuals should perhaps not be allowed to go online. "Basic internet access test: Is, or is it not, too much effort to insert a disc in to a drive that is located within arm's reach of you in order to access the software content? Think carefully now"... Laughing
YouGuysRock7
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 12:17 pm Reply with quote

2 discs worth of gaming perfection....Sounds good to me! Cool
voodoo341

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 12:21 pm Reply with quote

lonewolf2002 wrote:

It's not even the disc swapping that's the issue for some people. It's the noise from the 360's DVD drive. My 360 is an older model and sounds like hammer drill at times. Running the game from the HD is the only way to avoid it. If I can't install this it's a negative for me. Having to swap a disc once isn't a problem.
Black Mantis
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 12:36 pm Reply with quote

StonecoldMC wrote:

Agreed. More awesome epicness! Very Happy
WHERESMYMONKEY

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 12:38 pm Reply with quote

But it's pretty much a certainty that you will be able to install it and run it off one disc. 95% of 360 games can be installed to the HDD and all the multidisc games i've ever done it with resulted in it only ever having to be run off a single disc.

Its a good idea to do it with open world games anyway, as 9/10 times they get a significant bonus to load times.
lonewolf2002

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 12:40 pm Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:
lonewolf2002 wrote:
nottsville wrote:

While it may differ a little bit with consoles at the other end of the living room from where one is sitting, for me personally the epitome of laziness are those individuals who complain about having to place a DVD disc in their PC's disc drive and instead prefer DRM in the instances where it allows them to play the game without the disc (cracks can do the same if one wishes to go that route however); nevermind the poison it introduces in to their PC system and the limit it places on their liberties. My more emotional side feels that such individuals should perhaps not be allowed to go online. "Basic internet access test: Is, or is it not, too much effort to insert a disc in to a drive that is located within arm's reach of you in order to access the software content? Think carefully now"... Laughing

DRM has really scarred you hasn't it? Razz

Seriously though half the reason I got out of PC gaming was due to draconian anti-piracy measures that only hurt legit gamers (the other half is my severely under powered rig). Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: