You Are In:  Home > Forums > Media and Digital TV Forums > Radio > SCR refugee station
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Radio For discussion of radio stations, programming, and digital radio technologies.

Old 01-11-2009, 13:20   #4176
.Janet.
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrendous View Post
It's around £130 a show.
So GA was getting about £1 for each listener then
.Janet. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 15:22   #4177
Gingerfake
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Janet. View Post
So GA was getting about £1 for each listener then
You owe me a new keyboard, I just spilt my coffee all over it

Gingerfake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 19:32   #4178
PochtalionP
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 8 View Post

Some times... there are things that matter more than the RAJAR figures..
Well, quite and I couldn't agree more - programme content for one! But the RAJAR figures basis for assessment wasn't chosen by us. Remember how Mr Astley was so keen to crow about increased listener figures when early in his tenure they went up?

Now they are continuing their downward trend no-one at SCR seems to mention them any more?

Just returned this evening from being a real SCR Refugee. Nice day and a bit up in Norfolk. They have a good BBC local stn up there, loads of people phoning in and they hardly have to mention the contact numbers.

Ah, well, its back to R4 in the morning I guess. Happy listening all!
PochtalionP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 20:05   #4179
johnnyoxford
Forum Member

Nick Wallis is enjoyable on Surrey breakfast (even better when he's slightly irritable). He's had some great interviews with local council types recently. One worth a listen and room to develop.
johnnyoxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 20:23   #4180
Gingerfake
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyoxford View Post
Nick Wallis is enjoyable on Surrey breakfast (even better when he's slightly irritable). He's had some great interviews with local council types recently. One worth a listen and room to develop.
Then he should be switched to BBC Sussex, the majority shareholder in BBC Sussex and Surrey. If he as good as you suggest, he will be worth a listen to. BBC Surrey not my area, so of little interest sadly, but BBC Sussex Breakfast just now..

Incidentally, if anyone is interested on Sunday Night BBC4 TV is doing a documentary about the children left behind after Dunkirk and who fought against the Germans. One girl joined SOE and was parachuted back into Belgium. There is an accompanying book which I am going to buy. I heard about this on Womans hour, , I just happened to tune in... well there wasn't anything worth listening to on our local radio station....

Making History today R4 3pm was also very interesting and is highly recommended.

Compare and contrast the stuff emanating from our local radio station. NO contest.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:22   #4181
BlackScorpion
Forum Member

Is it an appropriate day for SCR/BS&BS to consider a "bonfire of the inanities" and get rid of the mediocre dumbed down trash that its serving up as radio listening and get back to quality radio?

Is this too much to ask?

Answers on the back of the usual fiver to the usual address.
BlackScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:01   #4182
PochtalionP
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackScorpion View Post
Is it an appropriate day for SCR/BS&BS to consider a "bonfire of the inanities" and get rid of the mediocre dumbed down trash that its serving up as radio listening and get back to quality radio?

Is this too much to ask?

Answers on the back of the usual fiver to the usual address.
IIRC from previous of your posts, I think you might be based not too far from Lewes, BS? If they have not had their bonfire parade yet, you might find some participants willing to split off and head towards SCR Towers?

As for your question, whilst many of their poor (ex-)listeners might be only too willing to support your proposal, I fear that SCR management might still be both far too thick skinned to believe they should respond to criticism and no doubt are still able to convince themselves that the station's output is intellectually challenging, stimulating, etc. etc. and what the local population wants....

It does strike me as odd, though, that if they are getting all these phone calls, very rarely does anyone get put throgh to air?

Hey, ho. 'Out in the motor' after 10am today. Even though I am not a woman, the first 2 items on Woman's Hour on R4 were extreemly well prepared and presented and kept my attention for a good 20 mins.
Old 05-11-2009, 14:43   #4183
Gingerfake
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PochtalionP View Post
IIRC from previous of your posts, I think you might be based not too far from Lewes, BS? If they have not had their bonfire parade yet, you might find some participants willing to split off and head towards SCR Towers?

As for your question, whilst many of their poor (ex-)listeners might be only too willing to support your proposal, I fear that SCR management might still be both far too thick skinned to believe they should respond to criticism and no doubt are still able to convince themselves that the station's output is intellectually challenging, stimulating, etc. etc. and what the local population wants....

It does strike me as odd, though, that if they are getting all these phone calls, very rarely does anyone get put throgh to air?

Hey, ho. 'Out in the motor' after 10am today. Even though I am not a woman, the first 2 items on Woman's Hour on R4 were extreemly well prepared and presented and kept my attention for a good 20 mins.

Intellectually challenging.. I think not.

I tuned in for the 2pm news on SCR and when it finished, I was forced to listen to the ghastly BBC Suuuuuusex jungle, just dreadful, but the subject matter for your delectation on BBC Sussex this afternoon, ( a lady presenter covering for AF) dont know her name ...

"Does your birthday fall on a special day. " We want to hear from you... Call us now.......

I shook my head and tuned back to 5 live, and interesting chat with Simon Mayo and some guy who recorded tapes of Clinton talking (with Clinton's permission )during his presidency. Amazing when you consider the Watergate tapes brought Nixon down..
Old 06-11-2009, 06:40   #4184
BlackScorpion
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerfake View Post
Intellectually challenging.. I think not.

I tuned in for the 2pm news on SCR and when it finished, I was forced to listen to the ghastly BBC Suuuuuusex jungle, just dreadful, but the subject matter for your delectation on BBC Sussex this afternoon, ( a lady presenter covering for AF) dont know her name ...

"Does your birthday fall on a special day. " We want to hear from you... Call us now.......

I shook my head and tuned back to 5 live, and interesting chat with Simon Mayo and some guy who recorded tapes of Clinton talking (with Clinton's permission )during his presidency. Amazing when you consider the Watergate tapes brought Nixon down..

Maybe its intellectually challenging to the people who are directly involved with SCR? Its just inane to the rest of the world.

Yes PP. Lots of explosive sounds last night. Either Newhavens Incinerator site has been flattened, SCR reduced to a pile of rubble or it was a good night in Lewes. Unfortunately, I suspect the latter was the case.

For those who know me reasonably well ... whats the connection beteween Dom Busby and me? Answer we have our birthday on the same day... and its today.

Happy Birthday Dom.
BlackScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:06   #4185
surreylizzy
Forum Member

For those who know me reasonably well ... whats the connection beteween Dom Busby and me? Answer we have our birthday on the same day... and its today.

Happy Birthday Dom.[/quote]

Happy birthday BS and Dom. Have one on me. L
surreylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20   #4186
Gingerfake
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreylizzy View Post

Happy Birthday Dom.
Happy birthday BS and Dom. Have one on me. L[/quote]

Happy Birthday Dom and BS..

More "research"

The fab 5 this morning

"It happened in Blackpool"

Some bloke rang in to say he fell over and broke his ankle.
Riveting stuff... edge of the seats journalism. I have no idea what 2.3,4.,5 were....

I think I've heard enough with my latest two drop ins to know why the RAJAR figures are so dreaful, and I dont think I need to do any more "research" for a fair while

Awful just awful.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:08   #4187
PochtalionP
Forum Member

Once again I failed to get down thru Pyecombe early enough and so I caught the 5 to 9 reminder of what the Fab 5 'topic' was today.

Having heard their 'News' and Cranners traffic, I'm afraid I didn't stay around any futher so missed the major revelation about the broken ankle. (I came on here to tell you about it and was surprised to see you'd done a bit of research this morning).

Later as I parked at work, I tuned my car radio to BBC Sx (so I can see if Sarah G is on later between 4 and 6 as per today's schedule on the BBC Sx website), Mr P was doing a careful and sensitive interview with the poor chap who had his beard set alight on the train following the conviction ?yesterday of the perpetraitors.

So, peoples, even he can get it right on occassions it would appear. Shame that SCR's output drives you away so often that you then tend to miss the odd good item.

May I conclude with further best Birthday Wishes for BS and Dom.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27   #4188
npbgihtp
Forum Member

You know this sort of dross makes even the likes of Bright FM seem like Radio 4. I tried to get Neil Pringle burned on our local bonfire and I don't mean an Effigy.
npbgihtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:48   #4189
PochtalionP
Forum Member

[quote=Gingerfake;36470425]Intellectually challenging.. I think not.

"Does your birthday fall on a special day. " We want to hear from you... Call us now.......[quote]

No, well I was being sarcastic with the 'Intellectually challenging' of course.

Hmm, looks like the schedule may be inaccurate again?

If AF was only out that one day, Ginger, you might be able to catch her today(?) and I refer you to the description on the schdule:
"The best friend you always wished you'd had! Share your stories and experiences. "

There, no doesn't that make you feel better?
Old 06-11-2009, 14:35   #4190
Gingerfake
Forum Member

[quote=PochtalionP;36485237][quote=Gingerfake;36470425]Intellectually challenging.. I think not.

Quote:

No, well I was being sarcastic with the 'Intellectually challenging' of course.

Hmm, looks like the schedule may be inaccurate again?

If AF was only out that one day, Ginger, you might be able to catch her today(?) and I refer you to the description on the schdule:
"The best friend you always wished you'd had! Share your stories and experiences. "

There, no doesn't that make you feel better?
Someone should ring in and say BBC Southern Counties radio up to March 2006.
I have wished I had it as a friend since then, sadly its been replaced by a far inferior version that couldnt even be loosely described as a friend.
Old 06-11-2009, 18:37   #4191
JohnLees
Forum Member

I am pleased to see that fourth-division-celebrity seeker, Jo Brooks, who is a guest on the Danny Somebody Show on Fridays, is bringing so much happiness to the studios in Queen’s Road. Whenever her name is mentioned people roar with laughter.
JohnLees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 22:45   #4192
jonnybebad
Forum Member

IMHO this week scr has reached an all time low which the management should be ashamed of. Not only do we have the ever irritating NP but now we have some mind blowingly dreary afternoon presenter standing in for AF.And just to finish the afternoon nicely we have lost the lovely and proffesional Sara gorell and she has been replaced by some equally dreary and uninteresting fella who is doing some a-z of pop in the .......drivetime slot..... management at scr towers...hang your heads in shame...its a disgrace....can this get any worse??? i suppose you could call in now on 08459 but i wouldnt bother anymore............no one cares
jonnybebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00   #4193
PochtalionP
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybebad View Post
.....And just to finish the afternoon nicely we have lost the lovely and proffesional Sara gorell and she has been replaced by some equally dreary and uninteresting fella who is doing some a-z of pop in the .......drivetime slot..... (
Sorry, do you mean standing in for or did you actually mean replaced? She was listed in the schedules on the BBC Sussex website for this week.

I've not stayed on for any time after the 6pm travel, but one thing I was wondering was why SCR have nicked this format from the Roger Day show - which comes on only 1 hour later - but then just use it as a cheap reason to justify people phoning in?
Old Yesterday, 17:53   #4194
jonnybebad
Forum Member

as far as i am aware SG has gone for good this ultra boring new boy hasnt said anything about standing in??? it would be an appropriate decision by the mangement to help steer the station on its course that is already on self destruction.....just a few more tweeks and corrections and then they will be there!
jonnybebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:03   #4195
PochtalionP
Forum Member

Old Yesterday, 20:49   #4196
Gingerfake
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybebad View Post
as far as i am aware SG has gone for good this ultra boring new boy hasn't said anything about standing in??? it would be an appropriate decision by the management to help steer the station on its course that is already on self destruction.....just a few more tweaks and corrections and then they will be there!
It does seem that SCR are bent on driving the ship onto the rocks, but then again the ship has-been leaking for 3.5 yrs, so, why not..

In reality of course who cares any more ??? That's where its really at.

Look at me, sometime SCR listener who always listened to Radders, followed on with JT or whoever had the mid morning show, tuned into Tea at Three, then Dom 4-7 with Anton , the birthday game with the sloth, then Physics line, and then Paul Miller.

Now I don't listen at all. Perhaps that's what SCR want(ie not someone of my age), but its a damned funny way to run a radio station.

I haven't forgotten Neil Pringle's fine words about SCR when he tried to justify it on the mid morning programme in March 2006. Fair play to him for coming onto the radio to do so, but its proved to be (for me) a totally hollow promise.

BBC Sussex/BBC Surrey, it doesn't matter really, You can change the name of the station, but if the product is rubbish, who is going to listen ????