1x1
You Are In:  Home > Forums > Media and Digital TV Forums > Radio > Les Ross returns to BRMB
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Radio For discussion of radio stations, programming, and digital radio technologies.

Old Yesterday, 08:54   #1
RadioKing
Forum Member

Les Ross returns to BRMB

Sorry ive already posted about this but this news is amazing and im amazed how seriously David and Phil are wanting to restore brmb
RadioKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00   #2
Bundyman
Forum Member

Assunming this is true, it's no real surprise.

It's exactly what i would have done.

Les is a legend & with the correct format (WM WASN'T) a fantastic & original broadcaster.

It makes perfect sense

When is he on?
Bundyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01   #3
RadioKing
Forum Member

Im guessing thats the big announcement wednesday 8am

Their are teasor trailors on air atm saying he's going to reform brmb
Old Yesterday, 09:06   #4
boywonder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundyman View Post
Assunming this is true, it's no real surprise.
Its true. A great move for BRMB.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:07   #5
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

Come on then - what's he going to be doing?
Mapperley Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21   #6
Les Wires
Forum Member

Services: Sky, Sat FTA, DAB, DRM (Matsui4099 mod)
Brilliant, the most natural personality I've ever heard on any radio station.

After many years I will listen to BRMB again, so will many others. Smooth and Heart cannot be happy.
Les Wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:28   #7
dpb
Forum Member

I'll await to see what happens with this. Les is a legend and the best breakfast show host the Midlands has ever had.

However I tend to think BRMB should be looking forward rather than back but Orion's management have a track record IMO of knowing where they are going and making things work so I'll bow to their knowledge and wish them luck.

It is good that Les will be back on the air and hopefully he will shine once more.
dpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:34   #8
RadioKing
Forum Member

Les Ross must of been offered alot to go back to breakfast but great news
Old Yesterday, 10:37   #9
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

Soryr if I sound thick, but I've not heard the trailers. Is Les coming back to breakfast - could someone clarify?
Old Yesterday, 10:39   #10
Bundyman
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapperley Ridge View Post
Soryr if I sound thick, but I've not heard the trailers. Is Les coming back to breakfast - could someone clarify?
The OP didn't say Les was going back to breakfast. I suspect that's a natural assumption by some.

From what the OP says details will be revealed Wednesday
Old Yesterday, 10:44   #11
Les Wires
Forum Member

Services: Sky, Sat FTA, DAB, DRM (Matsui4099 mod)
Quote:
The OP didn't say Les was going back to breakfast. I suspect that's a natural assumption by some.
I suppose the sacking of the previous breakfast presenters and the appointment of a temporary presenter would make that a fair assumption.
Les Wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48   #12
Bundyman
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wires View Post
I suppose the sacking of the previous breakfast presenters and the appointment of a temporary presenter would make that a fair assumption.
Oh yeah!

Shows just how ingrained in people Les Ross=breakfast is & if he is going back to weekday brekkie, what a good decision it is
Old Yesterday, 10:49   #13
RadioKing
Forum Member

do people think this will make a difference??????
Old Yesterday, 10:50   #14
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

Well maybe a fair assumption, I was merely looking for facts rather than rumour. Sadly lacking, no?

If Les is going to do breakfast full time I think it's a major coup for BRMB and I personally support the move. However, other threads have suggested that BRMB and the rest of the Orion stations were going to reposition to target the 15-24 age group. If that's true, I'm not sure how well Les will work.

Les is undoubtedly a legend and I suspect BRMB will get a lot of the Heart/Smooth listeners back on baord, and even a few curious WM listeners. All good stuff for rebuilding what was broken by GCap. But appealling to a younger audience is going to be a challenge.
Old Yesterday, 10:55   #15
Bundyman
Forum Member

Quote:
Well maybe a fair assumption, I was merely looking for facts rather than rumour. Sadly lacking, no?

If Les is going to do breakfast full time I think it's a major coup for BRMB and I personally support the move. However, other threads have suggested that BRMB and the rest of the Orion stations were going to reposition to target the 15-24 age group. If that's true, I'm not sure how well Les will work.

Les is undoubtedly a legend and I suspect BRMB will get a lot of the Heart/Smooth listeners back on baord, and even a few curious WM listeners. All good stuff for rebuilding what was broken by GCap. But appealling to a younger audience is going to be a challenge.
Les got great audiences up until he left in 2002.

It's not about the music with Les, in fact he slags most of it off, it's about personality & that appeals across age groups
Old Yesterday, 10:58   #16
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

Quote:
It's not about the music with Les, in fact he slags most of it off, it's about personality & that appeals across age groups
I'm well aware of that. However, I wonder if that can really work in today's market. I personally believe that dissing records is pretty old school - which is what Les is. Very few programme controllers would allow any presenter - even Les - to be as irreverent about the output as they might have once done.
Old Yesterday, 11:01   #17
Bundyman
Forum Member

Quote:
I'm well aware of that. However, I wonder if that can really work in today's market. I personally believe that dissing records is pretty old school - which is what Les is. Very few programme controllers would allow any presenter - even Les - to be as irreverent about the output as they might have once done.
Personally, right there i think is the current problem with commercial radio.

Very little personality & the same songs as yesterday, just in a different order.

This "old school" phrase has been used by groups to take away the good bits of old commercial radio as well as the bits that did need to go.
Old Yesterday, 11:04   #18
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

I'm all for more creativity from presenters. However, for me this either means championing the music - tell me something I didn't know about it - or, in the case of a local station, sounding more local than your rival, without being parochial. That's a real art - and sadly a lot of today's presenters wouldn't have the first clue of how to do it.
Old Yesterday, 11:06   #19
RadioKing
Forum Member

I think its a brave an risky decision but if they get it right it will be brilliant
Old Yesterday, 11:10   #20
Bundyman
Forum Member

Quote:
I'm all for more creativity from presenters. However, for me this either means championing the music - tell me something I didn't know about it - or, in the case of a local station, sounding more local than your rival, without being parochial. That's a real art - and sadly a lot of today's presenters wouldn't have the first clue of how to do it.
That's because they are not allowed-in most cases

Shut up & play the songs is usually the order of the day.
Old Yesterday, 11:13   #21
Dave FM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKing View Post
do people think this will make a difference??????
Yes - I'm no major fan of Les, but he WILL bring the audience back. I'm sure it'll be for breakfast.

Quote:
Very few would - I agree. However, all this "as they might have once done" is a bit silly.

The 90s may be old skool - but the 90s style also brought big audiences for commercial radio. Obviously more than style has changed - but who knows, maybe the audience miss that kind of radio.
Dave FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:59   #22
mattd
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave FM View Post
Yes - I'm no major fan of Les, but he WILL bring the audience back. I'm sure it'll be for breakfast.

Very few would - I agree. However, all this "as they might have once done" is a bit silly.

The 90s may be old skool - but the 90s style also brought big audiences for commercial radio. Obviously more than style has changed - but who knows, maybe the audience miss that kind of radio.
I imagine this thread should be entitled:
Les Ross Returns to BRMB's Promos

I think it's clever to bring back a voice that people associate with the station, but I doubt he's going to be back on the air in any major role.
mattd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51   #23
Hayden
Forum Member

Services: With A Smile
Well if they're bringing Les back it would be very nice if they could bring back the wonderful Phil Holden too.

Best radio presenter I ever heard.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:38   #24
FM Lover
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKing View Post
I think its a brave an risky decision but if they get it right it will be brilliant
Trying to recapture the magic is always difficult. I am from the South so don't know Les but from the postings and the little that I know of him I'd imagine he was to BRMB what Chris Tarrant was to Capital.

I am trying to imagine Chris going back to Capital and I honestly don't think that would work now as so much has changed over the last 5 years and Les has been away from BRMB longer.

Good luck to him and all at BRMB, I hope it works out.
FM Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:40   #25
Martin Phillp
Forum Member

Services: Freeview (Sharp TU-R160H) and DAB
Are BRMB going slightly older in reaction to bringing back Les?
Martin Phillp is offline   Reply With Quote