User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2004
Low-Powered Superhero

KawangaKid has a spectacular aura aboutKawangaKid has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to KawangaKid
Kulthea - the Shadow World

Does anyone have any ready HERO material for Kulthea?

I only have the old 4th Edition stuff from the boxed set.
Old February 26th, 2004
TAG your it!

Midhir is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Midhir
Sorry I haven't converted my old Kulthea (Shadow World) stuff yet. It was a toss up to use Kulthea or the Warhammer Old World setting and Warhammer won out.

Although the 4th Edition information in the box set won't different much from 5th edition really.
Old February 27th, 2004
The one and only

tkdguy has much to be proud oftkdguy has much to be proud oftkdguy has much to be proud oftkdguy has much to be proud oftkdguy has much to be proud oftkdguy has much to be proud oftkdguy has much to be proud oftkdguy has much to be proud oftkdguy has much to be proud of
KawangaKid, as far as I can remember, the HERO stuff on the Shadow World was pretty sparse. The gods had stats and skills (I think), but no write-ups of spells; just the total number of active points available. If you have the 4th Ed. version of FH, the rules for the realms of magic would still apply.

Midhir, I'd like to see what you did with the Old World.

Visit Aroooo's site: Star Hero Fandom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft
"tech Support"
"Can you put me back on hold, please? Your music rocks!"
Old February 27th, 2004
Tired old gamer

John Desmarais has a spectacular aura aboutJohn Desmarais has a spectacular aura about
Re: Kulthea - the Shadow World

Quote:
Originally posted by KawangaKid
Does anyone have any ready HERO material for Kulthea?

I only have the old 4th Edition stuff from the boxed set.

Wow - someone else who remembers that Shadow World was supposed to support FH as well as RM (sort of).

Actually, I haven't used SW in years. What I stared up my current FH campaign I strongly considered using SW, but instead opted to build one based on M. Lackey's Valdemar novels.

If you decide to bite the bullet and build Kulthea material for FH5, I'd love to see it (who knows, I may decide to use SW again someday - I always liked it, even though it was really much more of a RoleMaster world than FH).

John Desmarais
Old February 27th, 2004
Grey Hero Guy

Hierax has a spectacular aura aboutHierax has a spectacular aura about
FWIW, I was working on a "Shadow Hero" website a while back:
    http://www.hierax.com/hero/shadow/

but it was for 4th ed. and I didn't get much content uploaded except for a draft Characteristic conversion:
    http://www.hierax.com/hero/shadow/cha.pdf

I've got a bunch more stuff in hard copy hand-written scribbles and on old floppy discs, but it'll be quite a while before I get back to that project and get around to putting it up online.

It's a great world though (actually the reason I picked up the HERO System in the first place) and I hope some one else steps up to the plate and does it for Fantasy Hero 5e...
"There are new words now that excuse everybody. Give me the good old days of heroes and villains, the people you can bravo or hiss. There was a truth to them that all the slick credulity of today cannot touch." -- Bette Davis
Old February 27th, 2004
Cosmically Powerful Superhero

NuSoardGraphite is a jewel in the roughNuSoardGraphite is a jewel in the roughNuSoardGraphite is a jewel in the roughNuSoardGraphite is a jewel in the rough
Ah. Kulthea. My favorite published setting.

A lot of stuff going on in that campaign world.

I definately intend to use it as the basis for my FH campaigns in the future. I would love a resource for coverting SW to 5th edition...

It wouldn't be that difficult either. The creatures are 98% done, since SW uses mostly classic fantasy creatures, merely giving them different names sometimes (Pegasus=Steardan. Orcs=Lugroki) and the races in Kulthea are also pretty standard, though they do have an unusually high amount of variant human races.

The biggest project would be converting all the magic items (some of which are pretty gnarly, like the Narsaelkin) and comming up with all the cultural packages and racial packages based on the regions. NPC's would be a chore also, but one could simply concentrate on the one's who play a starring role in the campaign (the Jerak Ahrenreth of course).

If we had several people who were willing to work in such a project, it wouldn't necesarily be that tough.......
Old March 1st, 2004
Master of Shadow(puppets)

MordeanGrey is on a distinguished road
I have several of the original Kulthea game modules if anyone is looking for specific information.

I don't recall the titles for all of them, but I can check if anyone is interested.
-- Mordean Grey, Evil Wizard
Old March 1st, 2004
A Chemical Soup

GreyGuardian is on a distinguished road
I ran a shadow world campaign using chartmaster (rolemasters if you want to be proper) in college (campaign ended 1988ish). Generally some very good background and modules. I don't think there was ever very much hero support in the shadow world stuff. But then again it's the political situations and plot hooks etc that made the shadow world mods and settings good. Based on the other hero setting books that have come out since 5th edition I'd expect turakian age to have similar crunchy goodness. The Fantasy hero villians book MM and M and the bestiary provide an excellent starting point for converting most "things" you will need to annoy your players from Shadow World.
Old March 1st, 2004
Tired old gamer

John Desmarais has a spectacular aura aboutJohn Desmarais has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by GreyGuardian
I ran a shadow world campaign using chartmaster (rolemasters if you want to be proper) in college (campaign ended 1988ish). Generally some very good background and modules. I don't think there was ever very much hero support in the shadow world stuff. But then again it's the political situations and plot hooks etc that made the shadow world mods and settings good. Based on the other hero setting books that have come out since 5th edition I'd expect turakian age to have similar crunchy goodness. The Fantasy hero villians book MM and M and the bestiary provide an excellent starting point for converting most "things" you will need to annoy your players from Shadow World.

Saying that there was never much Hero Systme support is understating it a bit. I liked Shadow World as a setting, but it was very much geared towards RoleMaster. The first several books included FH stats for many (but not all) of what appeared in them, but it was obviously an after-thought.

Kulthea as a FH world had a very different feel than Kulthea as an RM world - mostly due to the vast differences in magic. I'm not really sure what tack I would take to handle magic now - whether I would try to build a Hero magic system similar to what the setting expects, of just say the heck with and use the Grimoire as is.

I bought most of what was published during the first two years, then lost interest when I stopped running FH. I would love an excuse to use thet stuff again, but my current campaign (based on Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books) is already underway - and I've written far to much material to jsut chuck in dumpster now...

John D
Old March 2nd, 2004
Low-Powered Superhero

KawangaKid has a spectacular aura aboutKawangaKid has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to KawangaKid
Shadow World

I only have the boxed set, and no other modules or settings...

There was a bunch of HERO stuff for almost all the monsters and races. They were statted out.

The "spell lists" are a problem. I'm already into character creation with my players, and allowing them to create their own backgrounds to interweave with the defacto setting... even sticking in some Jorune stuff.

Thanks for the links and the PDF tho! I'll enjoy using those to convert some of the stuff...

Been toying with the idea that the "dimension" that the Shades from Forgotten Realms were sent to was actually Kulthea. Random thought.