Photo

Slow Toolset or it just works this way?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Zeke

Zeke
  • Members
  • 51 posts

I'm wondering is this a normal behavior - when a Properties window is loading of an asset (NPC, Amor, Inventory and so on) there is always a 4-5 sec hang until the window show.

Is anyone else experiencing this or this is how the editor behaves?

5 seconds is not a lot of time but when you work a little longer it really starts to drag out your work.

Simple math: if you open 12 times a "property" window, you have lost 1 minute in waiting.

So yeah, is this normal?

kalbaern

kalbaern
  • Members
  • 824 posts

It can depend on your computer's specifications, whether or not your running in compatibility mode properly and what else you have open at the time, but I wouldn't say its out of the norm for many.

Proleric

Proleric
  • Members
  • 2,363 posts
I have a fairly high spec PC, in XP compatibility mode for the toolset. The lag is maybe 2-3 seconds, which I don't really notice. 5 seconds would definitely be irritating, though.

In nwtoolset.ini under [Start Up] I have

CPU Affinity=0

NWNTX makes the toolset much faster in many respects (e.g. opening areas) but might not help with your specific issue.

Zeke

Zeke
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Yeah, I've also clicked on every *.exe to be in Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility and I'm using NWNTX.

Tried CPUAffinity = -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 ,4

And clicking Properties of an NPC is exactly 5 seconds every time. 

My PC has high specs too. Ahh, it looks like I'll have to accept this delay... :(

Little offtopic:
What the "EnableExtensions" line do in nwntx_compiler.ini?

Edit:

Trying without any HAKs, it's down to 3-4. It still seems slow to me.

Shadooow

Shadooow
  • Members
  • 4,474 posts

Little offtopic:
What the "EnableExtensions" line do in nwntx_compiler.ini?

I belive it enables the __LINE__ __FILE__ macros in scripts.

Btw same problem as you with properties window, though only module propeties takes so long, creatures/items are kind of ok.

Thayan

Thayan
  • Members
  • 244 posts

I've had the problem with the property dialog boxes opening slowly for years as well. It ranges from 3-8 seconds, with placeables and doors taking the longest and areas being the shortest. Even using NWNTX. Haven't found any way around it.

Zeke

Zeke
  • Members
  • 51 posts

I've had the problem with the property dialog boxes opening slowly for years as well. It ranges from 3-8 seconds, with placeables and doors taking the longest and areas being the shortest. Even using NWNTX. Haven't found any way around it.

Exactly my problem! Sooo I guess there isn't any solution to this.

kalbaern

kalbaern
  • Members
  • 824 posts

On many PCs, popping in game and setting your video settings either higher or lower, then going back to the toolset can have a drastic impact on toolset performance. A while back, I'd reduced my video setting in game so I could get a better live recording while playing. It helped the video recording, but later when I opened my toolset, I also noticed slower loading times for properties. Raising my video settings once again in game resolved it.

AndrueD

AndrueD
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Am thinking it might be index problem cuz when I use on old 32-bit single core XP with even older AMD card, props come up pretty fast, like only 1 or 2 secs.  Now on 64-bit 2 core Win7 Pro with nvidia take VERY long near 10 secs so would love to see pop in 5 secs ;)  Maybe the 64-bit multicore archo make slower instead of faster? Dunno.

Am also wonder if total number of element with props has something to affect.  When was doing modules on XP there only very small area with minimum elements.  Now with bigger areas and many placebles, encounter, trigger, etc... seems much slower.

I try use toolset with all secure like virus turned off but not matter afaik.

Shadooow

Shadooow
  • Members
  • 4,474 posts

Its doing on my 32bit win7 machine too.

Actually I think the problem is the windows compatibility mode. I bet that win XP on same machine would allow toolset to be fast as it used to be.

Maybe someone with VirtualBox can test?

Lilura

Lilura
  • Members
  • 161 posts

I'm wondering is this a normal behavior - when a Properties window is loading of an asset (NPC, Amor, Inventory and so on) there is always a 4-5 sec hang until the window show.

Is anyone else experiencing this or this is how the editor behaves?

5 seconds is not a lot of time but when you work a little longer it really starts to drag out your work.

Simple math: if you open 12 times a "property" window, you have lost 1 minute in waiting.

So yeah, is this normal?

I had a 0.25 sec hang on my Core 2 Duo and now have a much more noticeable 4-5 secs hang with my "gaming" laptop. It drives me nuts.

I tried setting affinity in toolset.ini and using compatibility mode but didn't notice any change. Well, I got a hard lock out of the former... so yeah, reverted to default.

Both Win8.1 x64, Radeon gfx.

I remember on WinXP x86 the toolset was so fast to load and bring anything up...

WhiteTiger

WhiteTiger
  • Members
  • 479 posts

I like to listen an AUDIOBOOK while you build nwntoolset because while you lost time opening things you are learning something more else

way of life :)

Mavrixio

Mavrixio
  • Members
  • 88 posts
It is indeed much faster on Windows XP: in my Windows 10 virtual machine it takes 10+ seconds while in my Windows XP virutal machine (on the Same PC and for the same module and creature) it takes less than 3 seconds.
Building in Windows XP also fix the camera issue.

virusman

virusman
  • Members
  • 282 posts

The dialog constructor populates script handler boxes with lists of scripts. If your module contains hundreds of scripts, it'll easily execute the same method a few thousand times. Every addition calls SendMessageA, and since that function is in user32.dll, its performance depends on the OS.

virusman

virusman
  • Members
  • 282 posts

Here are your 5 seconds back:

nwntx_optimizations-1.0.6-pre.rar

(This will remove suggestions from all script selection combo boxes, so you'll have to pick scripts using "..." button)

• Proleric, Thayan, leo_x and 4 others like this

Thayan

Thayan
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Thank you, virusman!

Lilura

Lilura
  • Members
  • 161 posts

(This will remove suggestions from all script selection combo boxes, so you'll have to pick scripts using "..." button)

SO much faster... thank you!

Zeke

Zeke
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Whoa! Thank you!

Are there any customizations (cuts) that can be done? Just curious.

virusman

virusman
  • Members
  • 282 posts

Oops, there was a bug that actually caused errors when clicking OK in the properties dialog. Please re-download from the same link. Should be fixed now.

Shadooow

Shadooow
  • Members
  • 4,474 posts

Oops, there was a bug that actually caused errors when clicking OK in the properties dialog. Please re-download from the same link. Should be fixed now.

Could you also improve module properties window? It seems script list is loaded into Cache tab.

Thayan

Thayan
  • Members
  • 244 posts

This may be better suited in the NWNTX thread, but since I've finally narrowed this down to the nwntx_optimzations.dll being present, I'll bring it up here:

Whenever that .dll is being used by NWNTX, when you click on an object in the area view pane, it does not jump to or hightlight the object in the object list on the left side of the toolset. I never realized how much I relied on that until now for the purposes of checking the tag or name or the object, or making sure I have the right one I want to modify/delete, without having to actually go to its properties. So I just have to ask: is there any way to get that functionality back? Or is that part of the reason that makes this optimization .dll so fast?

• Zwerkules likes this

virusman

virusman
  • Members
  • 282 posts

This may be better suited in the NWNTX thread, but since I've finally narrowed this down to the nwntx_optimzations.dll being present, I'll bring it up here:

Whenever that .dll is being used by NWNTX, when you click on an object in the area view pane, it does not jump to or hightlight the object in the object list on the left side of the toolset. I never realized how much I relied on that until now for the purposes of checking the tag or name or the object, or making sure I have the right one I want to modify/delete, without having to actually go to its properties. So I just have to ask: is there any way to get that functionality back? Or is that part of the reason that makes this optimization .dll so fast?

Yes, NWNTX Optimizations disables that highlighting precisely because it was causing the freezes when selecting objects.

virusman

virusman
  • Members
  • 282 posts

Could you also improve module properties window? It seems script list is loaded into Cache tab.

Should already be improved w/regard to module event handlers. Cache tab contains a list, not a combo box, so removing the options would make it unusable.

Shadooow

Shadooow
  • Members
  • 4,474 posts

Should already be improved w/regard to module event handlers. Cache tab contains a list, not a combo box, so removing the options would make it unusable.

I just found out that its only first time this is slow. First time it took 20 seconds on my PC (was 30+ without NWNTX), but second time and third time it showed in 1second so that works for me.

Now, if there would be a way to disable that feature that mess with my modules whenever I work on more than 1 at once. I know I can quit toolset before opening different module and Im trying to follow that, but its easy to forget...

Anyway, good work.

Zwerkules

Zwerkules
  • Members
  • 1,324 posts

That's interesting because I have the same problem since I don't have a computer with Windows XP any more. It worked fine under XP, but doesn't highlight anything in the object list any more on other Windows versions. I find that very annoying, but I don't have NWNTX. I also don't remember which game version I had when I still had XP. Maybe it already was 1.69, maybe not. I don't know if a patch changed something in the toolset or if it happened when I got a computer with Vista instead of XP.