Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Project WARhammer - Version 0.2 Alpha RELEASED!

Project WARhammer - Version 0.2 Alpha RELEASED!

Hey, this is a mod in the pre-alpha stages that I'm making. It's primarily for skirmish mode.

It's primary focus is to make Dawn of War II feel "larger-scale" and "dynamic". This goal is to be accomplished by massively increasing the squad sizes, increasing the resource rate/starting resources, and allowing destroyed vehicles/monsters/buildings to leave behind path-obstructing wrecks (once you blow up a Deff Dread or a Turret, their destroyed husks will stay there rather than dissappear).

V0.2a includes:

General
    * Corpses and destroyed Vehicles/Buildings do not dissappear
    * Destroyed Vehicles/Buildings are path-obstructing
    * Armour Upgrades contain visual improvements
    * Hitpoint/Speed/Sight/Damage/.etc changes to all affected units thus far (such individual changes will not be listed as it would bulk up the readme too much)
    * Added new viewable units to Army Painter, including upgrades

Space Marines
    * All squads now number 9 on creation and may be upgraded with a sergeant (with the exception of the Terminator Squads, which as of now lack Sergeant upgrades)
    * Tactical Marines cost 540 req, Sergeant starts with Bolter
    * Devastator Marines now start with 5 Bolters, 2 Heavy Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher and 1 Plasma Cannon. May be upgraded with a Bolter-wielding Sergeant who will provide Sprint. Total Cost is 450 req and 90 power
    * Assault Marines now start with 9 and cost 495 req and 45 pop initially.
    * Veteran Marines added. May be upgraded with a Sergeant. Special Weapons include: Power Axes, Power Fists and Power Swords (purchasing upgrade will outfit the entire squad). Starts with Chainswords and Bolt Pistols. Cost is 900 req and 180 power
    * Predator is now shifted to Tier 2 and gets an "automatic" autocannon. Cost is 1200 req and 300 power
    * Razorback costs 400 req and 50 power
    * Dreadnought shifted to Tier 3. Cost is 1500 req and 300 power.
    * Power output increased to 0.5/s from 0.1667, Generators decreased to 75 req cost
    * HQ hitpoints increased to 100000 from 1000
    * Armour of Alacrity adds Assault Jump ability
    * Techmarine has Consecrated Bolter -> Master-Crafted Bolter, and Master-Crafted Bolter -> Master-Crafted Missile Launcher, which behaves like a Tactical Nuclear weapon, and is shifted to Tier 3.
    * Techmarine structures only cost 1 pop.
    * Terminator and Assault Terminator squads cost 1800 req and 450 power, must be built from the HQ at Tier 3, can no longer be purchased with Global Abilities
    * Popcap increased to 125

Orks
    * All Tier 1 Mobz start with 30 Boyz
    * All Tier 1 Mobz may be upgraded with 'ardboyz Armour to improved durability (costs 60 req)
    * Tankbustas increased to 20 Boyz
    * Nobz increased to 10 Boyz
    * Deff Dreads cost 300 req and 50 power
    * Wartrukks cost 100 req
    * Population cap increased to 375

Unedited:
    * Eldar and Tyranids
    * Most global abilities (exception being Orbital Bombardment)
    * Space Marines - Venerable Dreadnought + majority of Apothecary wargear + some Techmarine wargear/abilities + most utilty wargear + Terminator Sergeats
    * Orks - Kommando (hero and normal units), Lootas, Looted Tank, Nob Leaders

Download link
    Last edited by Aliblabla; 7th Aug 09 at 10:38 PM.

Hm...good idea for a mod. I look forward to it, Im sure it would be amazing!

EDIT: I would like either mediafire or megaupload. And yes, due to persistent bodies and the wreakage of vehicles, players would need a better PC. How about make 60-70% of the bodies stay? And make around 70% of the vehicle wreakages stay?

Also, reduce the tyranid pop cap by a little, or it would be dam laggy. Btw, you should leave the deepstrike ability. This way players can get terminators into battle quickly when the situation is desperate. You can try increasing the cost as the terminators are deep striked instead of appearing at the base.
    Last edited by jianjian94; 4th May 09 at 5:45 AM.

Out of my knowledge. I could make them disappear after a set time, but that's not what I want to do.

I could probably make Rippers disappear, they're too small to logically obstruct paths and therefore useless as permanent bodies. And they're gonna come in numbers so massive that making them permanent would kill a computer several times over.

Is it possible to have the wrecks targetable? I think I saw it somewhere in the campaign files. Wondering if this will allow frag grenades or spore mines to "clear" and area of corpses?
    "Well, there are two ways to pass a hurdle. Leaping over - or plowing through." "There needs to be a monster truck option."

I doubt it. They don't actually leave behind "wreck" entities - the vehicle gets blown up, stays there and you might see it twitching occasionally (it's mostly the Deff Dreads that do this, stuff like Fexes stay put in that strange fetal pose).

Nevertheless, I'll try poking around.

And yeah, 100 000 popcap for the Tyranids seems excessive considering the map sizes involved (you could bathe all of Argus in Gaunts with that many) so I'll have it cut down significantly (still likely gonna be in excess of 10000 though).

in wrecks you can have dread ork wartruk and predator that is the only wreck in the game
    "We are the Ultramarines, the Sons of Guilliman. Whilst we draw breath, we stand. Whilst we stand, we fight. Whilst we fight, we prevail. Nothing shall stay our wrath."
    - Marneus Calgar - Chapter Master of the Ultramarines.

Sounds great. However please make an option or variant that has corpses that stay, which would be good, because it would allow my Astartes to stand literally ona hill of corpses...

I agree with Deus, I would love to see my marines stand before a hill of xeno corpses!

I've polished and redone the design of the vets.

Like?

Oh. Wow. Is about all I can say. And I think that sums it up nicely.
    Well done mate. Great job

lukejackska2
    can you Aliblabla need help? you are doing a very big thing....
    post the files...we, community, can help you...

Personnally i'm waiting for playing...and to wait is to waste...

Agreed, though I know nothing about modding...

I'm interested to know how you make the persistent models on death? It's certainly an interesting concept.

Oh and FYI. Your Veteran Marines look awesome

Also, good luck with your Devastator Squad. If you've already got it working (with multiple upgrades), I'd love to hear how you did it.

Please try out my DoW II Multiplayer Mod here
    Join the STEAM group to find other players here

Technically speaking, you don't "upgrade" them to have different weapons.... it's preset in the squads, you start with two HBs, two Bs, and one ML, and when you max out, you get four HBs, three Bs and three MLs.

And considering that this mod is about 5% done, your wait might be a little long.... unless you want to play a pre-pre-pre-alpha version of it, which is an idea I'm quite open to if it helps me.

As for persistant models, look at the code in the ebps files, under "Health". You have "delete_when_dead" and "remove_pathfinding_on_death" or something like that. By default, it's set to "true", which means that they disappear completely when dead.

I just set it to "false".
    Last edited by Aliblabla; 6th May 09 at 1:57 AM.

Ah ok, I see what you've done now. That particular method wasn't suitable for what I wanted unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip RE: persistant models

TBH, your pop cap numbers are ludicrous. I don't know what sort of computer could run a game that has 100,000 Gaunts in it, but if there is one then it's probably in Torchwood. Also, the maps are far too small. If you're trying to make the game dynamic, you're going to epic fail here; with such ridiculous numbers of troops, it just becomes a game of ranged shooty death horribly slaughtering countless melee troops who cannot possibly reach their foes. Think about it; 100 Tacticals sitting anywhere can take on any number of Orks or Tyranids because the aliens can't physically send in more than a few hundred troops at once. Marines would just blob up and attack move around the map. Also, pathfinding would he horrific, Tyranids would never win any games because their ridiculous numbers of Gaunts would amplify the choke point problem and area effect weapons would be insanely overpowered. For this mod to be vaguely playable you'd need to cut those numbers down to maybe 50 Marines, 100 Eldar and 300 Orks or Tyranids, and even that would be a massive clusterfuck. Oh, and Devastators only ever have 4 heavy weapons, not 7.

Advice taken.

I intend to reduce it to 100/250/625/1000 for SMs/Eldar/Orks/Nids. My original replan was 100/500/2500/12500, but that's ludicrous. Even if the A.I. won't even come close to using all of that.

But so far with my mod:

Bolters are still underpowered. They aren't peashooters like they used to be, but I find that a Shoota-Boy squad can take down a Tac squad faster than the opposite can happen (three options: decrease the size of a Shoota squad, decrease their firepower, or make the Bolter stronger. The first two will make the A.I. build them less, which is actually a real problem I'm facing, and the last one would make it completely impossible for Sluggaz to reach Tacs in the first place). Heavy Bolters are much more lethal, and Stormbolters are also a good deal more effective.

Missile Launchers aren't particularly dangerous as area-effect weapons.... I haven't gotten to the Plasma Cannons yet, but I'm planning to increase their area-effect damage while requiring them to be integrated as the last weapon of a Devastator squad (merging the normal and the Plasma Cannon version) so that to get that firepower, you need to max out.

Gaunts.... are fast. Lictors and Eldar are faster. It's only really the Orks who are slower than the marines. Space Marine Melee Infantry (vets, assaults, assault termies) are tough and powerful, but when they're swamped by Gaunts and Orks or engaged by Eldar Aspect Warriors, they need luck to survive.

An idea with Orks, make them have more armour or make them faster the more damage they take.
    -It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end (Douglas Adams)-
    -Make something idiot proof and nature will create a better idiot.-
    -Me fail English? That's unpossible!-

Here's the veteran sergeant:

Hmmmmm nice touch...Davian thules head

Veteran marines looks neat, but I don;t like beaky helmets...would prefer a helmet like the veteran tactical squad from campaign.

I could probably split the squad into beakies and non-beakies.

Also, termie and scout sarges:

Last edited by Aliblabla; 7th May 09 at 10:00 AM.

AlphariusXI
    increase space marine armor to deal with the shoota boys issue. is there anyway u could send me whatever version ur on? i would ove to see what love done and test it for you.

Well, while bolters are more powerful... Orks are also talked about being tough when they are lowbees, and even tougher when they are higher up (or have survived long enough to beat their way up the chain.)

So making the orks tougher and the bolters tougher would fit the novels but I am not sure how it translates in the game since the newer version.

Now if you did not want bodies to always be there, could you not just make some basic form of If/Then statements? Or have a area to rack up points? Each body = 1 point. Pool holds 100 points before refreshing. If Pool > 70 then...

It has been a while since I have touched code but each language has some form of this...

Pretty sure we can't get direct access to the code like that.

Most infantry units already stay on the map when dead... the problem is that gib/ragdoll victims still disappear.

How do I know this? Veterans are rather nuts in CQC, they throw enemies around like footballs (and have a good chance of splitting them into pieces) whenever they enter close-combat.

The only solution I know is vastly increasing the time it takes for the bodies to disappear.

EDIT: It doesn't work.

Also:

Last edited by Aliblabla; 10th May 09 at 8:55 AM.

i cant wait for this mod it looks absolutely bad-ass. i hope to look forward to releases

28. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #28
    A forgettable little corner of southwestern Kentucky
    Seeing as how this is a mod in progress, I'm going to move it to the Mods in Progress subforum.
    I has a Blurb. And one of those Tweeter things.
    Quote Originally Posted by roflmao
    I'd run with a shotgun to go hijack a private airplane and fly to Belgium. Nothing interesting ever happens in Belgium, so there's definitely no zombie apocalypse there.

Is it just me, or is the standard the termie sarge is carrying folded?

Yeah, it's a graphical glitch with some of the units I've encountered.

My only solution was to remove the banner completely.

Also, I've decided to mod the Army Painter:

aww awesome mate. cant wait to play it. would this be able to play online at all?
    i suppose the others would have to have it as well....

Niccceeeeee! I really look forward to this.

Wow, can't wait for this beauty! With Skirmish AI making a comeback, this will be better than ever!

when should we expect a release. i am anxious to try it.
    lolz i haz a signature. it shall rule the world :D.

With the patch to adjust to and my exam coming up in 1 1/2 weeks... this won't be coming out anytime soon.

is it possible to add more than 3 commanders? if so add terminator commander and a predator commander. (they could start out with no weapons to begin with but you have to buy the weapons)

Nope... I don't know how to edit the menu like that.

And Termie/Pred Commander is unfluffy.

Still looks nice. Hopefully we get a demo soon.

I do not understand why you have the need to make all the units seen as in rank 60?

We already have a mod for that.I am already using the rank 60 mod in combo with table top mod and so other mods.

YOu need some balance changes like:

Avatar needs buff(Buff entire eldar race),falcon speeds,prism speeds and damage...
    Orks need nobs with better speeds.THey were not that slow in DoW1
    Predator needs buff
    Looted tank needs buff
    And so on...

Sorry if I am harsh but i would really like to test your mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelessone
    I do not understand why you have the need to make all the units seen as in rank 60?

We already have a mod for that.I am already using the rank 60 mod in combo with table top mod and so other mods.
    Umm he needs to do it because they use the same data files. I'd certainly like to know how you are using the rank 60 mod in combination with my mod, as one will override the other.

The wargear used for the models (epic armour, etc) is defined in the units ebps file, the same file that has all the code for the particular unit (hp, cost, build time, etc)

You might be able to get away with it on units that haven't been modified in one mod while using the wargear mod; as it will usually only load files that it hasn't found elsewhere, so if its loading the wargear mod last it 'might' work. However you still won't be able to play against anyone else online as your data-sets wont match.

@XViper.

You are right,the scout lvl 60 armour does not appear with your mod combined with epic wargear mod.On the other hand,TAC marines are not affected even though you modded them too.Maybe it depends on what you modded,could you enlighten me to this then?

Ps this is getting out of topic but this mod seems a bit senseless cuz TT mod already did of what this mod aimed for,"Bringing more units in the game"....

Netrogor and Jaylo each do a singleplayer mod that does similar things. Do you think one of them shouldnt be allowed as they do similar things? Because thats what you are suggesting by saying:

Ps this is getting out of topic but this mod seems a bit senseless cuz TT mod already did of what this mod aimed for,"Bringing more units in the game"....
    Just because this mod and the TT mod do are simlar "Bringing more units in the game" doesn't mean they are the same. I *like* the idea of there being similar mods out there so people can *choose* which one they prefer as each mod will bring something different to the table (or computer in this case).

Jaylo's mod brought more badges to the game, should every other mod from now on not be allowed to have badges in them because Jaylo did it first?

Some more changes.

1. Armour of Alacrity is now a jetpack suit to give the FC the ability to Assault Jump. I thought the original version was, to put it lightly, useless. Sprint removed to compensate - teleporting is compatible and does not break. Assault Jumping knocks enemies back.

2. Veteran Marines now have a charge ability based off the campaign's Force Commander - though only the frontman does it, and I can't figure out how to fix the problem.

3. Space Marines can knock enemies back with almost all their melee weapons - even the Tactical Marines' fists can do it, without requiring anything. For the most part, knockback physics are severely exaggerated, and for example, your Veteran Marines when charging into a 30-Boy Ork Mob will knock about 3-5 Boyz around a few metres with each strike.

4. Armour has "Defence" values that make reduce a unit's damage, and this defence value is increased depending on how good the armour is in canon. They also upgrade in appearance when you stick a new suit on your Commanders, like this:

5. Veterans changed from having Power Swords as default to having Chainswords as default with the ability to upgrade the entire squad to Power Axes, Power Swords or Power Fists - just like the Scout Shotgun. The Veteran sergeant is affected similarly, and does not get special weaponry compared to his squad members - he upgrades WITH the squad.

6. Eldar Howling Banshees are extremely fast - speed 20. By comparison the vanilla Tactical Marines have a speed of 5.

@ Mordecai

I never said that he should not mod but there are some great features around these mods that are wasted.This is why it would be better if people could come together and make one major mod.At least it is better than having 10x mods and all having loosly the features of one and another but with less accuracy and fun.

But nevertheless,i was wrong for saying that "It is pointless".

Nevermind,when is the first release of this then?

Depends. I just came out of an exam so I now have 16 holidays to mod the game with.

Here's a very incomplete version of the mod. A lot of abilities, ebps/sbps/weapon/wargear files are still unedited, some parts may not be working properly (charge ability on veteran for one, I can't fix the problem myself). Only edits for the greenskins and the Emperor's finest are included, the other races will have to wait for a bit.

But yeah, the gargantuan squad sizes are there, so are some interesting modifications, like....

Spoiler

This mod is ... beyond words.
    I can only compare its feeling to my own DoW1 Movie Marine Company mod called Glory of Astartes (Which I could never release due to size and permissions).
    I know it is a bit over the top... but it is AWESOME!!!!!! Congratulations!

Now come, the Marines will show what is the true fury of an Astartes Company !

There are two problems which I still noticed:
    HQ's and other buildings should be tougher.

Ruined vehicles are indestructible, they can easily block accesses from other vehicles.
    A good idea would be to have vehicles and terminators crush wrecks like they crush cover.

Some ork abilities use way too much WAAAGH, like Stikkbomba squad's grenades.
    Some ork units appear to be unchanged, like Trukks, Looted Tanks and Kommandos.

Now a few Ideas:

Astartes:
    Sternguard (Ranged) Veteran Squad: Marines with better bolters, plasma guns and flamers.
    Vanguard (Melee) Veterans might benefit from Jetpacks.
    Scout Blind Grenades should be like in Campaign, which can target non-garrisoned units too.
    Some marine squads could use more heavy weapon upgrades. Like 1 plasma and 1 missile launcher for Marines if possible.

Orks:
    I heard on DOWfiles by aktheon : "Nobs with shootas, as in campaign". Nobs with shootas could double as Flash Gitz. Burna boyz are also great, altough XViper already did that. His mod is great too, but with a different feeling.

Nids and Eldar: Well they are useless for now

Can you slow down the space marines in armor, even though I almost only play as them I think they need to be slower. Also if you make ranged veterans can you use the bolter Tarkus gets in the campaign with the scope?
    Last edited by BattleBrotherMo; 11th Jun 09 at 2:33 PM.

Great idea

really cool

the only issues I have with it is the modified unit movement, its just way to fast in my opinion

and even though I love more units on the field my game starts glitching as if I was playing the Ork Swarm Mod in DC =(

love the Armor upgrates and love the Sergants

other then that I think its a great mod, keep up the great work

Quote Originally Posted by DeusImperator
    I know it is a bit over the top... but it is AWESOME!!!!!! Congratulations!
    Thanks.

HQ's and other buildings should be tougher.
    Looking into it... yeah, the SM HQ has 100k hitpoints, forgot to add that to the Teleporta Platform though.

Ruined vehicles are indestructible, they can easily block accesses from other vehicles.
    A good idea would be to have vehicles and terminators crush wrecks like they crush cover.
    I don't know how to do this. There are only three wreck files.

Some ork abilities use way too much WAAAGH, like Stikkbomba squad's grenades.
    Yeah... that's the problem with 30 Boyz a Mob.
    c

Some ork units appear to be unchanged, like Trukks, Looted Tanks and Kommandos.

[/QUOTE]

Mentioned in the readme (or in the OP), didn't I?

Now a few Ideas:

Astartes:
    Sternguard (Ranged) Veteran Squad: Marines with better bolters, plasma guns and flamers.
    Vanguard (Melee) Veterans might benefit from Jetpacks.
    Scout Blind Grenades should be like in Campaign, which can target non-garrisoned units too.
    Some marine squads could use more heavy weapon upgrades. Like 1 plasma and 1 missile launcher for Marines if possible.
    Last one is not possible as there is no base unit which does those kind of upgrades, so I can't make that happen. Will look into the Blind grenades. The two different types of Veterans contradict my original intention: as Assault Marines are no more durable than standard Tactical Marines, their purpose is melee disruption. As Assault Terminators are too slow and not much more durable than standard Terminators, they serve best as a fire-absorbent piece of tough shielding. Veteran Marines bridge the gap between toughness and speed; their improved Power Armour and high speed allows them to cross those distances and hit their enemy in melee.

Orks:
    I heard on DOWfiles by aktheon : "Nobs with shootas, as in campaign". Nobs with shootas could double as Flash Gitz. Burna boyz are also great, altough XViper already did that. His mod is great too, but with a different feeling.
    I could do that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information