Free crochet pattern – barefoot sandals. It’s the season for barefoot’n! What a fun project this free “Pearl of the Sea” Barefoot Sandals crochet pattern is to make, wear and gift! Easy, hooks up fast, great yarn stash-buster; and by adding the beading, they become elegant and festive. I made the coral colored pair up and my daughter-in-law saw them and promptly claimed them as hers! That made me smile, as she is very fashion-forward and has great taste. So to pass the “test”, was a nice feeling. I used 100% mercerized cotton, category 3, for this pattern and my model is made with Omega Sinfonia. Another great yarn for this project is Patons Grace. The gorgeous wooden crochet hook is an Heirloom Wooden Crochet Hook from Furls Crochet, a size H in Rosewood – YUMMY! As for the beads, really any size bead will work, as long as you can string it onto your yarn. I have a new tutorial on adding beads to your crochet projects, specifically posted to help aid in your success with this pattern. That “Add a Bead” tutorial can be found here.
You can really assist this designer (me ) in the visibility of the pattern listing on Ravelry by using the button below and adding the listing to your favorites and queues
Pearl of the Sea Barefoot Sandals
- Category 3, mercerized 100% cotton yarn 60-75 yards. I used Omega Sinfonia for the model; another good option is Patons Grace
- Size H (5.00mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry/yarn needle
- 16 Beads
- One size fits US women’s shoe size 6-9. Can be adjusted to smaller/larger sizes by reducing/adding motif(s) and chains for toe/ankle straps.
- +B=add bead with sl st method
- Dc=double crochet
- Sc=single crochet
- Sl st=slip stitch
- St(s)= stitch/stitches
HOW TO READ THIS PATTERN
- When instructions are in brackets [ ] those sts are worked as a set.
- Parentheses ( ) at the end of a row = total sts for that row.
- Adding beads to your project: String 16 beads onto your yarn. When the pattern reads +B, add bead using a slip stitch. If you are unfamiliar with adding beads to your yarn and project, see my tutorial here.
- Beginning ch1 does not count as a st for R3 and repeats of R3.
- Always keep your bead to the right side of your work. R3 and repeats of R3 is the wrong side of your work. When working your sc rows, bend/push your bead forward, essentially working the st behind the bead to keep the bead on the right side of your work.
- To don your sandals, tie a loose single knot approximately 2-3 inches from the end of one ankle strap. Hook toe loop over one toe, motifs lie flat on top of foot, draw straps around ankle to heel, crossing over and back around ankle. Place the unknotted ankle strap through the knot on the other ankle strap, pulling the unknotted strap taut to your comfort and tighten the knot at the outside of the ankle. ENJOY wearing your Pearl of the Sea Barefoot Sandals.
PATTERN Pearl of the Sea Barefoot Sandal (make 2)
R1: Ch10, +B. Working back down the chain through 1 loop only, sl st in 2nd chain from hook and each remaining ch. Join with sl st to 1st sl st (st next to bead) to form a ring. (10)
R2: Ch3 (counts as a dc and ch1), working to the right side of bead, [dc, ch1, dc] into same spot as bead, +B. Now working to the left side of bead [dc, ch1, dc, ch1, dc] all into same st as bead, turn.
R3: Ch1, sc each st and ch sp across, keeping the bead to the front of your work, turn. (10)
R4: Sk 1st st, sl st next 3 sts and into bead space. Ch3 (counts as dc and ch1), [dc, ch1, dc,] all into right side of bead space, +B, [dc, ch1, dc, ch1, dc] all into left side of same bead space, turn.
R5, 7, 9: Repeat R3.
R6, 8, 10: Repeat R4.
R11: Repeat R3 – DO NOT TURN – continue to R12.
R12: Ch49, +B. Working back down the chain through 1 loop only, sl st 2nd ch from hook and each ch working back to R11, join with sl st to last sc of R11, sl st each sc across. Ch49, +B. Working back down the chain through 1 loop only, sl st 2nd ch from hook and each ch working back to R11, join with sl st to last post of R11. Finish off with a clean finish, weave in ends.
©The Hooked Haberdasher, All rights reserved