Stop sites from overtaking shortcuts

Forums » General Opera topics » Customizing Opera

You need to be logged in to post in the forums. If you do not have an account, please sign up first.

Go to last post

27. November 2012, 16:38:41

woj-tek

Stop sites from overtaking shortcuts

Hello,
Is there a way to stop sites from overtaking shortcuts? I've noticed that for example google tend to take all input as a search query which is highly annoying! I'm a big fan of single-key shortcuts and I couldn't care less for this 'enhancements' that supposedly should 'speed' my experience :/

28. November 2012, 03:44:34

mochikun

Originally posted by woj-tek:

Is there a way to stop sites from overtaking shortcuts?

Disable javascript happy
Opera 11.64,Puppy Linux 5.6 "Precise" (run from a bootable 1GB USB stick)

28. November 2012, 06:22:58

woj-tek

are you trying to be funny? newsflash - you're doing it wrong...

28. November 2012, 08:07:50

sgunhouse

Volunteer

It's an honest answer ... if you did disable javascript then the page can't steal keyboard events. But doing so would have a huge downside as well ...

28. November 2012, 09:03:54

woj-tek

I know, but I was hoping for some generic solution (UserJS/Extension) that would only override JS functions that steal the keyboard. A while back similar annoyance was forcing opening in new tab/window and it was quite easy to get rid of this by using UserJS that removed all target=blank...

Catching keyboard input is probably done using some generic API, so in my understanding it should be possible to override it with UserJS?

28. November 2012, 09:56:19

sgunhouse

Volunteer

I'm sure it can be, but I'm no JS guru ...

28. November 2012, 10:28:58

woj-tek

neither am I, henceforth post on this forum smile)

8. January 2013, 02:21:31 (edited)

laurenbacall

Single-key shortcuts are great. I ran into the same issue awhile ago and found a thread which had a userscript that fixed this for Google.

See this reply for the userscript, copy the code into a text document, then see this reply and add the extra code to the existing text, save it with the extension .user.js, then add it to Opera's userscript folder.

Voila! Google no longer hijacks the single-key shortcuts. This works for me. smile

Originally posted by woj-tek:

A UserJS that removed all target=blank

There's actually an Opera setting to force all links to open only in their original tab. Paste the following into the addressbar, tick the checkbox, then click the 'Save' button. Now you no longer need JS to remove the target attribute.

opera:config#Ignore%20Target
ScriptKeeper - makes blocking & filtering scripts enjoyable. Also see my Opera blog custom menus, buttons, searches, tips and more!

Forums » General Opera topics » Customizing Opera