Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

a HDD spindle motor stopped help??

SANAP

Likes # 0

I hooked up 32OGB hdd to a usb sata connector with power and it worked great for week but I left it powered up overnight, now it won't work. A local PC shop said spindle motor is not working. Its a seagate HD circa 2006 and worked perfect in PC but I ahd to remove it as it was full. A data recovery company wants 1395.00 euro plus 77 euro inspection fee. I will get a new HD but can't afford that amount.

Is there any workround I can try?

sanap

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

buy one of same make and model and see if you can swap motors

good luck

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

It depends on how important the data is and why was it not backed up. If it is valuable data then I would have a go at it with Fruit Bats suggestion but a tricky operation, you could possibly ask your local PC shop if they would be prepared to do it. With nothing more to lose I would open it up, connect it and see if the motor is working before accepting the diagnosis as final. You may even be able to fiddle with it and get it running for long enough to copy you data (if you are very lucky). If in fact the motor does appear to be working then come back here as some wiser members can give good advice on data recovery.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I would have thought that Seagate spindle motors are fairly much the same for around that time but what are the exact details of the drive as I may be able to help if it is just the motor and not the board.

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

ok, I am getting hopeful. And thanks for replies. Its a seagate Barrucuda 7200.10 320gbytes. It was bought November 2006 and was a backup(SIC) in my dell PC. When I hooked up the usb gizmo I should have realised that this was a temporary fix but ...

There is a you tube video on changing the motor and I can see why its so expensive. The PC shop were to ring back and charge 100 euro to replace motor but not heard yet and its about 3 weeks. I had the drive in 2 partitions and its only as each day goes by I realise how much I had on it, downloads, documents etc.

any help would be great. how do i take it apart?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

SANAP , it's bad enough for me to take apart a laptop never mind a hard drive with mechanical parts. Do you know of a instrument technician or someone that knows someone that can help? An electronics engineer would be even better.

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

no, the pc shop just says motor gone, need new motor blah blah. I am just desperate and hoping for a workround. But I will ask around for an electronics engineer, I am quite remote so not hopeful.

sanap

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

SANAP ask your friends and see if they can suggest someone that may help. Someone working in a Power Station or similar. You never know. Worked for me once with a problem TV. Just a thought.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Sanap & rdave, changing the motor is fairly easy, even I can do that. Motors rarely fail it is normally the electronics. If you connect it can you hear it spin up, a whirring sound. If not then make sure it has power to it. Changing the motor should be a 15min job for a PC shop with the right tools. If you have another Seagate drive to take a motor from I will tell you how to do it step by step

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

bumpkin , let me know :)

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Hi Chaps - I'm an Indentured Instrument Engineer and used to work in Tilbury Power Station years ago! I have a 200gb Seagate drive from an old (2008?) Dell laptop (SATA) and a couple of older 3 1/2" desktop HDD's (not Seagate).

Surely it's more likely to be the circuitry that's failed rather than the motor - which has only one moving part. On the Seagate HDD you can see the 3 (tiny) bare copper feeds into the motor so if you know the voltage you could bypass the board and run the motor as a test. If the motor runs then it's the board (easily removed).

On the 3.5 desktop HDD's the motors are built into the stack so you'll have to split it open to get it out - exposing the stack. They are assembled in a Class 1 Cleanroom (absolutely NO dust present) as the gap between the heads and discs is a few Microns. Tricky if it's opened. The 3.5 HDD's are different models - one has a ribbon cable to the motor (easy to put power on) but the other is sunk into a groove in the casing but removing the circuit board gives access to the connections to test the motor.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

close
What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Send to a friend

Email this article to a friend or colleague:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the recipient know who sent the story. Both your name and the recipient's name and address will not be used for any other purpose.

IDG UK Sites

Surface sales rising as Microsoft reports profit boost

IDG UK Sites

What people love about the iPad Air: review of reviews

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Round

IDG UK Sites

25 ways design can make children's lives better