Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC & Graphics Card - Trying Not To Downgrade

Tacobelly

Likes # 0

In the past I've made the mistake of buying a new desktop PC only to find out that my old upgraded one was actually better than the brand new stock one so hoping for a little help please. I get the gist of what's what but really not enough to make a proper informed decision.

Current: Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz, 64-Bit Windows 7 Home Premiumm 4Gb RAM, Sapphire 4650 512Mb Graphics Card

Potential: HP 110-052ea - Intel Core i3-3240T processor, Windows 8, 8Gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics

From benchmark sites the processor seems considerably better and the RAM speaks for itself but the graphics card is the big query. For starters, I can't seem to find specs anywhere to tell me what slots/types of slots the 110-052ea machine has for the purpose of taking a new card or is it all standardized now? I was looking at the Sapphire HD 7750 which seems to be the direct upgrade from my old one that has served me fairly well for the last few years and fits in the budget.

Like this post
Tacobelly

Likes # 0

Forgot to post these the first time.

HP 110-052ea Specs: click here HD 7750 Specs: click here

SAPPHIRE

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Be careful as from what I could find the mobo doesn't support PCI Express, ie has no PCI-E socket to upgrade the GPU.

See here

and mobo specs.

Like this post
Tacobelly

Likes # 0

That's probably why I couldn't find anything about what PCI-E slots it has :( Okay thanks, I'll keep looking for another machine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

For about the same price have a look at this one, click here, and this is the mobo, Asus. Just something to compare.

Like this post
Tacobelly

Likes # 0

Okay then how about this: click here Elite Quad Core A10-5700 3.4GHz, 8Gb RAM, Windows 8 64 Bit. AMD HD 7660D

Under the expansion section of the specs it has 1 x PCI-e x 16 Slot, 1 x PCI-e x 1 Slots, 1 x PCI Slot. The benchmarks for the 7660D (presumably integrated?) are showing much lower than the 7750 but since it supports PCI-E I should be ok with the upgrade right? Only trouble now is I've never heard of Zoostorm although that might just be personal ignorance.

AMD

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

The PSU is naff.

Like this post
Tacobelly

Likes # 0

You could buy an after market one at a later date though right? What sort of issues would you have with that one?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

The PC is fine for the money but you will need to add a new PSU if you're going to add a dedicated GPU.

Like this post
Tacobelly

Likes # 0

I appreciate the help so far thanks, you can see why I was a bit cautious to just to do this blindly :) I was looking at this for a cheap and cheerful but silent 400w supply (which is what the card spec says is needed) but again I'm not 100% on if it's compatible.

1]: [click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I wouldn't buy a cheap and cheerful one and the minimum I buy is 500 watt. You'll need to find out the physical dimensions of the original one to be sure it will fit as the case is a micro ATX. I would ask ebuyer for advice on this. With some of these smaller cases it can be quite difficult to change the PSU.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

close
What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Send to a friend

Email this article to a friend or colleague:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the recipient know who sent the story. Both your name and the recipient's name and address will not be used for any other purpose.

IDG UK Sites

Tesco unveils £119 Hudl tablet: undercuts Nexus 7 and iPad mini

IDG UK Sites

Apple sells 9 million iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c during launch weekend, admits "we've sold out"

IDG UK Sites

The future of TV: what broadcasters are working on

IDG UK Sites

Lloyds Bank gets new branding and identity