Featured Book

Hello!

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.

Hello!

Postby moonstruck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Hello,
I'm a 20-something grad student, originally from India. I've loved reading for as long as I can remember, though grad school has been taking a toll on my reading time.

I like British classics, especially from the Victorian age. I love Pride and Prejudice and the witty works of Wilde and Wodehouse (oooh, alliteration. Sorry :P). And in Sci-Fi, I love Michael Crichton's Timeline and absolutely hated Mutation by Cook. I'm a Harry Potter fan and I know Tolkien's works are supposed to be better, but somehow LOTR felt very text-book-ey and I didn't feel like finishing it (please don't frown at me, Tolkien-fans! I plan to make a sincere attempt at reading the books again, soon). My favorite story teller used to be Jeffrey Archer, but I've found all his books after "Prisoner of Birth" quite dull and repetitive. :( I like mythology, cliff-hangers/thrillers and depressing stories with hopeful endings.
Among Indian authors, I like RK Narayan, Ruskin Bond and the cheesy humour by Sidin Vadukut and would like to read the Shiva trilogy. I hate Chetan Bhagat.

Dislikes:
I'm not a big fan of non-fiction and philosophy. But I do like "The Emperor of all Maladies". I detest autobiographies.

Currently looking for an author I can idolize and worship :D And more importantly, suggestions for good reading material from all you bookworms out there :)
moonstruck

Re: Hello!

Postby rachel5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Do you like J.R.R. Tolkien's books? I love The Lord of the Rings :)
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
rachel5

Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall

Postby moonstruck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi rachel5!

I've read just half of the Fellowship of the ring (sacrilege, I know!), and I gave up because I felt I had to concentrate so hard to read the book that it was almost like I was studying for an exam! :( Maybe I was just being lazy, but I do intend to read the books soon. :)
moonstruck

Postby rachel5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Cool. I'm still on The Two Towers, and I heard The Return of the King is great so I'm trying to get to that point
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
rachel5

Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall