The Cave
Tuesday 22-Jan-2013 11:26 AM

The Cave

Ron Gilbert's new characters are a different kind of SCUMM XLA  2

More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

New Splinter Cell: Blacklist gameplay video - five minutes o

Your comments on our articles.

Log and Ubisoft talk Spies vs Mercs, load-out options, Killing in Motion and more

Ah, Mr Fisher - good to see you again. Though we must admit we're a little disappointed that we can see you. OXM is proud to present another of our exhilarating Men Talking Over Actual Gameplay videos, which features brand new footage of the grim-faced Splinter Cell: Blacklist in action.

... read more

New Splinter Cell: Blacklist gameplay video - five minutes o

Postby RedBelmont » 30 Jan 13 5:25 pm

The part in the rain scaling down the side of the building reminded me of Double Agents Shanghai mission, it looks very promising. And hearing spies vs mercs is back has just made my day. :)
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont

Re: New Splinter Cell: Blacklist gameplay video - five minut

Postby Metalrodent » 30 Jan 13 7:46 pm

be nice if we can change loadouts in story mode, was annoying in Hitman Absolution that you unlock all the guns and disguises but can only use them in contracts. You could in Conviction but there was hardly anything worth unlocking besides the silenced pistol upgrades.
won thgir yaw s'ti no si ezirp ruoy - snoitalutargnoc siht daer nac uoy fi
Metalrodent

Postby PonderingWalrus » 30 Jan 13 8:30 pm

This doesn't look remotely like a stealth game but still looks like a lot of fun. I, for one, loved Conviction and am looking forward to Blacklist but I can definitely see why long time Splinter Cell fans are upset.

On another note, does anyone one know if coop/deniable ops are returning? I haven't really been following this game much despite claiming to have interest in it.
PonderingWalrus

Postby battfink83 » 30 Jan 13 9:56 pm

another game that looks like its been ruined by this current crop at ubisoft, splinter cell WAS the only other option to stealth fans who didnt like the MGS series, now it looks like another 'lets splatter some instant gratification cool looking hollywood playing COD for twelve hours straight glossiness to it'

sounds a bit harsh but they are ruining everything i loved the company for, awesome games that offered something different to others such as ghost recon and this.

im all for the improvements to the execution of how the mechanics work, but this looks like a linear action orrientated borefest

my hopes for the next rainbow six are dwindling with every ubi game that comes alone, cant wait to see what they do with that one....... :roll:

rant over
battfink83

Postby RedBelmont » 31 Jan 13 3:10 am

battfink83 wrote:another game that looks like its been ruined by this current crop at ubisoft, splinter cell WAS the only other option to stealth fans who didnt like the MGS series, now it looks like another 'lets splatter some instant gratification cool looking hollywood playing COD for twelve hours straight glossiness to it'

sounds a bit harsh but they are ruining everything i loved the company for, awesome games that offered something different to others such as ghost recon and this.

im all for the improvements to the execution of how the mechanics work, but this looks like a linear action orrientated borefest

my hopes for the next rainbow six are dwindling with every ubi game that comes alone, cant wait to see what they do with that one....... :roll:

rant over

I'd have to say I disagree with you there sir. I've played every SS game and consider myself a fan of the series and don't think that the changes to the game, i.e SS Conviction mechanics, ruined the stealth game-play at all. You could still sneak about just as easily, the cover mechanic actually worked and shooting wasn't as clunky as it had been. In the old games if you were spotted on a harder difficulty you pretty much had to re-start from a checkpoint, Conviction and the new one, from the looks of it, allow you to be far more versatile. If you want to sneak into a room and carefully plan how to kill everyone in it without getting spotted you could, but the game also let you mix it up and think on the fly if things went nipples up. Not only that the co-op campaign was top notch and as someone mentioned I hope that it will be in Blacklist as well as spies vs mercs.

As for the new Rainbow Six, think it's called Patriots, what I saw looked brilliant and more akin to RS Vegas than Vegas 2. However I did hear a worrying rumor that it had been canned, hope it's not true but it wouldn't surprise me.
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Jan 13 9:46 am

RedBelmont wrote:As for the new Rainbow Six, think it's called Patriots, what I saw looked brilliant and more akin to RS Vegas than Vegas 2. However I did hear a worrying rumor that it had been canned, hope it's not true but it wouldn't surprise me.

The Tom Clancy stuff is probably Ubi's biggest money spinner after Assassins Creed, they wouldn't can a game in the series. At worst it'll follow Conviction and go off radar for a few years before reappearing in a slightly new form.
Do you feel like a hero yet? Do you even remember what your mission originally was?
CunningSmile

Postby battfink83 » 31 Jan 13 2:21 pm

RedBelmont wrote:I'd have to say I disagree with you there sir. I've played every SS game and consider myself a fan of the series and don't think that the changes to the game, i.e SS Conviction mechanics, ruined the stealth game-play at all. You could still sneak about just as easily, the cover mechanic actually worked and shooting wasn't as clunky as it had been. In the old games if you were spotted on a harder difficulty you pretty much had to re-start from a checkpoint, Conviction and the new one, from the looks of it, allow you to be far more versatile. If you want to sneak into a room and carefully plan how to kill everyone in it without getting spotted you could, but the game also let you mix it up and think on the fly if things went nipples up. Not only that the co-op campaign was top notch and as someone mentioned I hope that it will be in Blacklist as well as spies vs mercs.

As for the new Rainbow Six, think it's called Patriots, what I saw looked brilliant and more akin to RS Vegas than Vegas 2. However I did hear a worrying rumor that it had been canned, hope it's not true but it wouldn't surprise me.

i dunno, imo conviction was linear, way to linear for a ss game, didnt enjoy it at all, the slower pace of older games is exactly why the fans scooped them up. ghost recon is another example, slow paced, plan your attacks action, then they bring out that last one........ wow.....
battfink83

Postby Gazisdaman » 31 Jan 13 3:57 pm

battfink83 wrote:
RedBelmont wrote:I'd have to say I disagree with you there sir. I've played every SS game and consider myself a fan of the series and don't think that the changes to the game, i.e SS Conviction mechanics, ruined the stealth game-play at all. You could still sneak about just as easily, the cover mechanic actually worked and shooting wasn't as clunky as it had been. In the old games if you were spotted on a harder difficulty you pretty much had to re-start from a checkpoint, Conviction and the new one, from the looks of it, allow you to be far more versatile. If you want to sneak into a room and carefully plan how to kill everyone in it without getting spotted you could, but the game also let you mix it up and think on the fly if things went nipples up. Not only that the co-op campaign was top notch and as someone mentioned I hope that it will be in Blacklist as well as spies vs mercs.

i dunno, imo conviction was linear, way to linear for a ss game, didnt enjoy it at all, the slower pace of older games is exactly why the fans scooped them up. ghost recon is another example, slow paced, plan your attacks action, then they bring out that last one........ wow.....

Admittedly future soldier was terrible, but i really enjoyed conviction, granted double agent was the first game in the series that I bought but I still consider myself enough of a fan to know what is great about splinter cell and I don't think conviction was lacking in it, still perhaps its just the accessibility and fluidity that I enjoy about conviction and I did like the freedom of the previous game, hopefully we will see a compromise between these elements in blacklist.
Gazisdaman

Postby ItchyRash » 31 Jan 13 4:31 pm

battfink83 wrote:ghost recon is another example, slow paced, plan your attacks action, then they bring out that last one........ wow.....

I played the recent Ghost Recon and found that's exactly what it excelled in. It was far easier to plan your attacks and play it really stealthy than any of the previous Ghost Recon games. Sure there were times it was all out action but there were whole missions I went undetected and thanks to the drone and sync shot ability I found the stealth really crisp and satisfying.

Gazisdaman wrote:Admittedly future soldier was terrible,

Because of what I mentioned above I would disagree that Future Soldier was terrible. I really liked Graw 1 & 2 but much preferred this new version.

I would rather Splinter Cell not take the direction it seems to be. I've been a fan since the first one and Conviction didn't feel like much of a change to me. Still managed to play them as I did all the others. The difference being when things went bad I could adapt in this one where as in previous instalments it just wasn't possible. I'm hoping this new one still allows the purists to play their way. But missing Michael Ironside is going to being interesting
ItchyRash

Postby Gazisdaman » 31 Jan 13 4:45 pm

I played every mission i could stealthily, but I just felt like it didn't deliver on a lot of things, especially for all the time I waited for it.
Gazisdaman

Postby PaladinRonin » 31 Jan 13 8:40 pm

To be fair, from the sounds of it, it does seem as if UbiSoft really have looked at what Convictive did right and wrong. Conviction took the series in a diffrent direction and it appears as if thoese mechanics now stick, such as Mark and Exicute and sticking to the walls, which were some of the great parts of Conviction.
I noticed during that video that Sam picked up the body of the person he killed after falling from the zip-line and hiding it. I'm glad that is back as it was really annoying not being able ot do that in Conviction.
This is starting to make me think that Double Agent is a standalone game in the series. We have not seen a return to any of the mechanics [that I'm aware of] which is dissapointing. I rather liked the Trust metre.
"I am justice incarnate: Brought to this world by forces beyond your comprehension. A cleansing storm to sweep across the land and purge it of your fowl presence."
PaladinRonin