THQ's loss, Koch Media's gain - why the future is bright for Metro: Last Light http://t.co/qvvO9L5x
More News
Hitman: HD Trilogy
Friday 1-Feb-2013 2:30 PM

Hitman: HD Trilogy

A bumper package of Agent 47's greatest hits - and some B-sides... 360  11

Skulls of the Shogun
Wednesday 30-Jan-2013 5:00 PM

Skulls of the Shogun

Strategic samurai shenanigans in yet another XBLA corker XLA  4

Retro City Rampage
Wednesday 23-Jan-2013 1:48 PM

Retro City Rampage

Mindless violence will never be a thing of the past XLA  5

The Cave
Tuesday 22-Jan-2013 11:26 AM

The Cave

Ron Gilbert's new characters are a different kind of SCUMM XLA  2

DmC: Devil May Cry
Monday 14-Jan-2013 9:20 AM

DmC: Devil May Cry

Ninja Theory mixes up a legend, to make something familiar and new 360  7

More Reviews
More Previews
More Features
More Kinect
Skulls of the Shogun
Wednesday 30-Jan-2013 5:00 PM

Skulls of the Shogun

Strategic samurai shenanigans in yet another XBLA corker XLA  4

Retro City Rampage
Wednesday 23-Jan-2013 1:48 PM

Retro City Rampage

Mindless violence will never be a thing of the past XLA  5

More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

Chainsaw sounding xbox (Not the GOW variation)

Got an Xbox 360 problem? No one else can help? You can find the answer here...

Chainsaw sounding xbox (Not the GOW variation)

Postby IIFBDIIRaz » 15 Aug 2011, 12:41

Over the weekend my xbox decided to develop a strange chainsaw/grinding noise (it's that loud) however it occurs both with and without a disc being present in the tray....

The only remedy i have found is to hit the top of the xbox and then it will disappear for a few hours only to return at an unexpected moment...

Its a Xbox 360S 250GB still under warranty, will the store exchange the console or will the problem disappear ?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Also has anybody else experienced this ??

Thanks......
IIFBDIIRaz

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Aug 2011, 13:13

Sounds nasty. If it is still under warrenty I'd try contacting the shop first of all and seeing if they will swap it for a new one. If they kick up a fuss see who they suggest you chase up, might be a return to MS job.
Do you feel like a hero yet? Do you even remember what your mission originally was?
CunningSmile

Postby SolaceConquest » 16 Aug 2011, 11:58

It sounds similar to what my 60GB console has.

If its making a grinding chainsawy noise its the mechanism of the Disc drive slowly breaking, over the next few months it will probably damage itself more and more untill it can't read discs at all.

Right now, I have the four games I play like all the time installed on my hard drive, this eliminates the need for the disc drive and will preserve it.

In the long term you can always take it to consoleWorks and get it repaired for £60 but it may cause more problems down the line after its been opened.
SolaceConquest

Postby IIFBDIIRaz » 17 Aug 2011, 22:04

SolaceConquest wrote:It sounds similar to what my 60GB console has.

If its making a grinding chainsawy noise its the mechanism of the Disc drive slowly breaking, over the next few months it will probably damage itself more and more untill it can't read discs at all.

Right now, I have the four games I play like all the time installed on my hard drive, this eliminates the need for the disc drive and will preserve it.

In the long term you can always take it to consoleWorks and get it repaired for £60 but it may cause more problems down the line after its been opened.

Thanks for the information, although they can see that i bought the xbox from there store on my account they want the receipt.... come on who actually keeps receipts from months ago

Ah well it looks as though i'm going to have to install games from now on.....

Once again thanks for the tips and advice.
IIFBDIIRaz

Postby SolaceConquest » 19 Aug 2011, 11:23

IIFBDIIRaz wrote:
SolaceConquest wrote:It sounds similar to what my 60GB console has.

Thanks for the information, although they can see that i bought the xbox from there store on my account they want the receipt.... come on who actually keeps receipts from months ago

Ah well it looks as though i'm going to have to install games from now on.....

Once again thanks for the tips and advice.

Where did you buy it from? If it's with game its always good to phone up their office and quote your loyalty card number, they can see what earned you points on certain days and may be able to sort something out for you.
SolaceConquest