THQ's loss, Koch Media's gain - why the future is bright for Metro: Last Light http://t.co/qvvO9L5x
More News
Hitman: HD Trilogy
Friday 1-Feb-2013 2:30 PM

Hitman: HD Trilogy

A bumper package of Agent 47's greatest hits - and some B-sides... 360  11

Skulls of the Shogun
Wednesday 30-Jan-2013 5:00 PM

Skulls of the Shogun

Strategic samurai shenanigans in yet another XBLA corker XLA  4

Retro City Rampage
Wednesday 23-Jan-2013 1:48 PM

Retro City Rampage

Mindless violence will never be a thing of the past XLA  5

The Cave
Tuesday 22-Jan-2013 11:26 AM

The Cave

Ron Gilbert's new characters are a different kind of SCUMM XLA  2

DmC: Devil May Cry
Monday 14-Jan-2013 9:20 AM

DmC: Devil May Cry

Ninja Theory mixes up a legend, to make something familiar and new 360  7

More Reviews
More Previews
More Features
More Kinect
Skulls of the Shogun
Wednesday 30-Jan-2013 5:00 PM

Skulls of the Shogun

Strategic samurai shenanigans in yet another XBLA corker XLA  4

Retro City Rampage
Wednesday 23-Jan-2013 1:48 PM

Retro City Rampage

Mindless violence will never be a thing of the past XLA  5

More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

Terry Pratchett

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. " Groucho Marx.

Terry Pratchett

Postby User removed » 02 Mar 2008, 23:30

You gotta read some of his books, they are great !

Anyone else here read any TP books ?
User removed

Postby Grummy » 06 Mar 2008, 22:50

Got them all. I particularly love the City Watch books. I love Carrot, such a great character. Detritus too.
Do not mistake his appetite for triangular sandwich apathy!
Grummy

Postby User removed » 08 Mar 2008, 08:22

I love the City Watch stuff

Nobby is the best though...
User removed

Postby wolvieware » 08 Mar 2008, 09:57

I still think the best one is the first one. It was so fresh.
As much as I've enjoyed every Pratchett book I've read, sometimes you wish he'd do some other things other than Discworld.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
wolvieware

Postby Jonnus Caesar » 28 Mar 2008, 14:58

I'm a big fan of Pratchett, his writing is so funny yet at the same time clever and often quite deep. So many great characters in the Watch, and I also love the witches. My favourite character by far though is Death. He has so many brilliant one-liners.
I've read about 20 of the discworld books I think, and I want to buy the rest at some point. My favourite one is possibly feet of clay...or maybe carpe jugulum...or maybe one of the ones focusing on death...actually its pretty hard to pinpoint a favourite!
Gamertag: Jonnus Caesar
Jonnus Caesar

Postby User removed » 28 Mar 2008, 15:55

wolvieware wrote:I still think the best one is the first one. It was so fresh.
As much as I've enjoyed every Pratchett book I've read, sometimes you wish he'd do some other things other than Discworld.
Like Strata, Diggers and the Johnny and the Bomb series? :wink:

I have got 1 and a half more of the Discworld books left to read. Terrific writer.
Its such a shame about the alzheimers news.
User removed

Postby wolvieware » 28 Mar 2008, 17:23

TheRealZOMBIE wrote:
wolvieware wrote:I still think the best one is the first one. It was so fresh.
Like Strata, Diggers and the Johnny and the Bomb series? :wink:

Yeah I've read those as well, but they were like, for kids. Which is no slur, as they were still good, but I meant something for adults thats not discworld.
Hell, maybe even something set more in the real world than a fantasy world. It could be a challenge. He can do his fantasy humour very well, and we know he can do it well, so why not try something different, perhaps something not funny, just the once, and see how it works. I'd be intrigued, for sure.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
wolvieware

Postby Grummy » 12 May 2011, 21:17

Been reading all these again recently, just ordered Making Money after finishing Going Postal. Really want a follow up to Monstrous Regiment and The Truth. is next book, though, is apparently called 'Snuff' and is a Vimes book. Can't go wrong with Vimes and The Watch.
Grummy

Postby CunningSmile » 13 May 2011, 09:04

Grummy wrote:Been reading all these again recently, just ordered Making Money after finishing Going Postal. Really want a follow up to Monstrous Regiment and The Truth. is next book, though, is apparently called 'Snuff' and is a Vimes book. Can't go wrong with Vimes and The Watch.

Have you heard a Watch TV show is in the works? Supposed to be a fantasy police procedural show revolving around Vimes and Carrot. Pratchett apparently keeps getting trouble with the lawyers for referring to it as CSI: Anhk-Morpork. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Making Money really made me laugh. I like Moist as a character, and it's nice to see someone new.
CunningSmile

Postby Grummy » 13 May 2011, 12:02

CunningSmile wrote:
Grummy wrote:Been reading all these again recently, just ordered Making Money after finishing Going Postal. Really want a follow up to Monstrous Regiment and The Truth. is next book, though, is apparently called 'Snuff' and is a Vimes book. Can't go wrong with Vimes and The Watch.

Have you heard a Watch TV show is in the works? Supposed to be a fantasy police procedural show revolving around Vimes and Carrot. Pratchett apparently keeps getting trouble with the lawyers for referring to it as CSI: Anhk-Morpork. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Making Money really made me laugh. I like Moist as a character, and it's nice to see someone new.

Got a linky for that? The last thing I heard was that Sky 1 had commissioned Unseen Academicals as their next piece of the Morporkian pie.
Grummy

Postby CunningSmile » 13 May 2011, 13:48

Grummy wrote:Got a linky for that? The last thing I heard was that Sky 1 had commissioned Unseen Academicals as their next piece of the Morporkian pie.

Afraid I don't, It was in SFX last month. I get the impression it's an American production with Pratchett as Executive Producer, but is still at the planning and casting phase. There are about 4 fantasy/supernatural cop shows in the works at the moment, so I don't think CSI Anhk Morpork will sink into development hell while it's so in fashion.

Unseen Academicals was a good book, but I think Sky only chose it because it has very little back story for new viewers to get to grips with. After Going Postal I think they should have gone with Making Money as their follow up.
CunningSmile

Postby Grummy » 13 May 2011, 15:05

A lot of people expected them to, thought they were leading into Making Money as a commentary on the recent 'economic crisis'.

Not sure how I feel about Unseen Academicals. Haven't read the book yet, but I know it's about football for some strange reason. I expect that was a contributing factor as well. But I'm not sure how I feel about them choosing it over a number of better options, any of the City Watch books for example, or anything with the Witches as they haven't been explored yet. And after Gong Postal, I thought 'The Truth' might have been a good option, except they've already added Sacharissa Cripslock.

The problem they have right now is that they've been randomly picking books to make, and the continuity means that some of them just can't be done without significant changes. Constable Visit and Angua have both been in one of these shows, so it'd be difficult to do a book that shows how they came to be a part of the watch.
Grummy

Postby CunningSmile » 13 May 2011, 16:03

I agree. Hogfather was obviously chosen because it was a Christmas special (and a very good one too I thought) but since then they seem to have followed a path of throwing a dart into a list.

Unseen Academicals isn't too bad. It's about football, but only in the same way Thud is about someone stealing a painting. It's more about peoples tendancy to form tribes and get murderously worked up about stupid things, taking in racism and government interference along the way. I hate football with a passion, but even I enjoyed it.

My favorites will always be the Watch. I love the characters, and love the use that Pratchett puts them to as a mirror for politics and human nature. Sky may be having to avoid direct adaptations as a result of the on going TV series having the character rights.
CunningSmile

Postby Grummy » 15 May 2011, 01:23

Mine too, I'm so glad the next book is a Watch book.

I'm both pleased and dissapointed at the prospect that Sky may not be able to use the Watch because of this show. Dissapointed because I'd love them to do one, pleased because, if the writing is good, I much prefer the prospect of a weekly show with new stories. It's the watch characters I love (of course I love the stories too, but it's the characters that make the books), and if a weekly show does them justice, getting that much more of them will be amazing.
Grummy