Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Series Wrapup Thread

Gislef

[1]6 days ago
    • level: 94
    Please direct any and all comments on the final episodes, the conclusion to the series, how everything ended, and whatever else might extend beyond.

Thanks!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KxGx

[2]4 days ago
    • level: 6
    I am slightly nervous about this episode. If they complete the plan as intended, surely September will have never existed, therefore, Walternate would never have been distracted and Walter would never have crossed over to save him. Even if by some chance Waltnerate was still distracted, and Walter still crossed over, there will be no September to save them from the lake. Is it going to completely wipe out the programme we have just spent years watching and loving? Splitting up Peter & olivia? Or are they going to ignore that little nugget and just go back to the seconds before the observers invaded. The only solution i see, if they do complete this plan, is for those scientists to create one 'observer' and for him to be September.

Sugar2U

[3]2 days ago
    • level: 9

KxGx wrote:
    I am slightly nervous about this episode. If they complete the plan as intended, surely September will have never existed, therefore, Walternate would never have been distracted and Walter would never have crossed over to save him. Even if by some chance Waltnerate was still distracted, and Walter still crossed over, there will be no September to save them from the lake. Is it going to completely wipe out the programme we have just spent years watching and loving? Splitting up Peter & olivia? Or are they going to ignore that little nugget and just go back to the seconds before the observers invaded. The only solution i see, if they do complete this plan, is for those scientists to create one 'observer' and for him to be September.

I agree with everything U just speculated. I had the same thought about September saving Peter etc. The ONLY slight maybe is Peter should have been erased in this time line but somehow he does exist so I guess it could happen again. In THIS timeline Peter exists BUT he was never saved by September so already an anomoly. Also I miss Dr Bishop but I guess if one has to go it is him. I want Etta to be alive as well but would settle for Peter and Olivia haveing a little Henry instead. I sooo do NOT want to be disappointed.

CrimsonDragon24

[4]2 days ago
    • level: 1

Apparently they are going to ignore that little nugget and flash to right before the Observers invaded. And somehow, judging by the expression on Olivia's face, I think she knew about the future that never happened. I think that the boy allowed himself to be captured so that Olivia would get the cortexiphan and be able to kill Windmark.

JoshuaFraim

[5]2 days ago
    • level: 5
    for awhile now i was afraid that the series finale would only resolve the season story line and ignore everything before this season. when they came up with the resetting time idea i thought cool that can resolve everything. so none of the fringe events ever happen. but nope despite that plan it still resolved the season storyline and the first four seasons never happened (other than the appearance of december and the cow). i guess we got two series finales, the season 4 finale and this one tonight. i should of known we weren't going to get a satisfying ending when the show had 5 minutes left and they were still fighting. no time for a good epilogue.

MajLorne

[6]2 days ago
    • level: 20

I was kinda hoping she was going to burn him to death with pyrokenesis. I feel kinda cheated we only see blood splatter instead of an actual body... I'm mixed on the finale. I am on the record saying this was the weakest of the seasons and to be honest it just became so slow on pacing and so doom and gloom that I almost gave up on the season, but I will still enjoy some of the tender moments b/w the characters and of course the weaponizing of the past fringe cases. Nods to past seasons = win! Some deaths I had to look up because I forgot what they used like the head explosion one. So the end is like white tulip. Very sad ending
    ***SPOILER***

. I like a happy end, but all this makes the whole season a reset and pointless. I kinda feel cheated that after all the pain and suffering, it all gets wiped out like that. otoh, I should be grateful that it didn't go wtf with it being 'purgatory' like on Lost (not a slam, but I was disappointed with that outcome as well). I guess having a decent finale is difficult.

Edited on 01/18/2013 8:16pm

JoshuaFraim

[7]2 days ago
    they obviously didn't think the past 4 seasons never happened since they put little nods to them. so why the **** did they ignore them at the end. this is far worse than the lost finale. at least the lost finale didn't ignore everything that happened before that season (yes the nods happened but that makes it more insulting like they are saying yeah we know seasons 1-4 happened but we don't care so too bad). they had a perfect excuse to resolve EVERYTHING that has happened in the past 5 seasons. why the hell would changing the observers creation ONLY stop the invasion and nothing else. that makes no sense at all. peter and olivia shouldn't still be together with etta afterwords. i didn't feel sad at the finale cause it was rushed so much and the ending just pissed me off.

i'm just glad this series is over so it can't disappoint me anymore.

MajLorne

[8]2 days ago

Well the boy was shown in 1 ep of season 1 and never shown again. The cone was used in season4 to show it can transport a person from anywhere. Bell's hand was used to open a warehouse (which was alluded to in season4). So season5 finally did address the loose ends from the other 4 seasons. The only thing about season5 is that when everything reset, you more or less had nothing to add on to the past 4 seasons and to me the season4 finale was the better finale as if september never showed up about warning of the observer invasion.

Edited on 01/18/2013 8:25pm

JoshuaFraim

[9]2 days ago
    yeah i'm not saying there wasn't any nods to previous seasons but that combined with the ending (which acted like they didn't exist) is just insulting. if they were just going to blow off all the bad things that happened in the first 4 seasons that wouldn't happen in a time reset then i'd rather they didn't bother to use any nods like that. do they think our memories are that bad? specially to the nods in the finale itself.

MajLorne

[10]2 days ago
    Well supposedly they say they might make a movie (wikipedia, not the best source, so take with a grain of salt), so maybe there's hope they can 'ignore' this season...

JoshuaFraim

[11]2 days ago
    i just thought of one major problem. why would walter be able to help michael find the scientist? september made sense since he's probably seen pictures of the scientist.

the one good thing i can say about this finale is they explained a mystery i couldn't figure out since letters from nowhere. why did the observers act so differently from the ones we've seen up to that point (because the ones we've seen were the original time travelers and affected by humanity) though who knows if that isn't just something they drew out of their asses at the last second to explain. so many things left answered. why did bell end up ambered with the rest of them and whey wasn't he un-ambered (that would be the case if he was a bad guy still but then why was he ambered comes back around again).

apjccjqa

[12]2 days ago

Walter knew what to do with the boy, because they had planned it years before. HE was supposed to go, not september. September wanted to go to be there fore his son.

One thing I LOVED about the finale, was the august failure was explained. We now know that august, september, (and now december), were not acting out of character..they were flawed because being around humans made them feel emotions. And I love that they drew back to that. I don't think that was a mistake.

Bell wasn't un-ambered because a: there wasn't time, and the technology was broken and b; because he tried to use olivia to destroy the universe.

Sure, it's a little disappointing the show reset to before season 5. However, walter is gone, and leaving the white tulip letter was satisfying..without going overboard. I just wish they had left themselves a little more time to play with by cutting out some clutter episodes from this season.

thechosenonecj

[13]2 days ago
    • level: 7

So, I'm guessing Walter was erased from 2015 onwards and not just erased completely? If so will Peter not wonder where he is?

Confused me a bit to be honest.

And the minute September said he would take the boy, you just knew he was going to get killed so Walter would have to.

Edited on 01/18/2013 9:35pm

TVFan18000

[14]2 days ago
    • level: 12

thechosenonecj wrote:

So, I'm guessing Walter was erased from 2015 onwards and not just erased completely? If so will Peter not wonder where he is?

Confused me a bit to be honest.

And the minute September said he would take the boy, you just knew he was going to get killed so Walter would have to.

Walter explained that on the tape. He told something about a strange letter that he sent Peter (the white tulip one). What is supposed to happen at the end of the episode is Peter calling Walter but he doesn't answer so he goes to the lab to talk to him but at that moment he was already erased from the timeline. Peter sees the tape and learns that Walter is living in the future.

Two possible things could happen at this moment: 1) Walter went back in time to leave an explanation to Peter (and the letter), but chooses to return to the future; 2) Walter believes that his plan will actually work and predicts that he'll be fine, and sends the letter has a clue for Peter to find the tape.
    I honestly believe it's the latter option, at least it makes more sense to me.

Still, although I found the ending to be satisfying, and it completed the full circle, I believe the whole thing was flawed.
    If the Observers never existed, Walternate would have found a cure to Peter, so Walter would not need to cross the universe rendering the whole series impossible, or at least with Peter.
    Resetting the timeline to 2015 only serves to fulfill the 5th season arc, since the previous four (as they were told) rely to heavily on the Observers and the changes they made through history, starting in 1985.
    Am I wrong?

thechosenonecj

[16]2 days ago
    • level: 7
    I don't even want to think about when he actually made the tape though. That bit makes no sense to me.

Cyphase

[17]2 days ago
    • level: 3

I haven't read all the previous messages in this thread, but here's a quick blog post I put up about the ending and the video. More to come later, if there's any demand. I'm spent right now .

kepa55

[18]2 days ago
    • level: 8

Well, that was emotionally so satisfying I can't even begin to analyse the actual plot in any depth. Anyone else complete lost it with Walter's line "That's a beautiful name"?

aaronmcc

[19]2 days ago

Firstly, I would like to say that I loved this finale. Thank you to all the wonderful people involved with this show. It has been top of my tv watching pile for the last 3 years.

The emotional impact of this episode on me was quite phenominal. I spent a large portion of it holding back tears and was sobbing by the end. Perhaps I'm a delicate little flower but then again I can recall the talk Peter and Walter had before he stepped into the machine making me lose it too. Oh the acting is just superb.

Usually I like to try and explain the story and give reasons for why I think certains things happened and how they aren't plot holes or whatever but I really see no reason why Walter and Michael would be erased from time 2015.

There is one explanation I can give though- Walter sent the tape back from the future for Peter. The reason I say this is because Walter is also responsible for building The Machine. It makes sense now that he has access to future technologies that he could design and craft the device, then send it backwards to be discovered. Although there is a bit of fudge here as he would also have to create alternate versions as Walternate would not have also travelled forwards in time.

So perhaps thinking about it too hard would ruin it but I do love to ponder these things. It does kinda scrabble your brain. If September never existed then Peter was cured by Walternate, the two universes remained intact, Peter would have stayed on his side and likely never met our Olivia. So how did that outcome occur? Hmm. Well how I like to think of it is that stuff September did was outside of the box. It wasn't supposed to happen so it created a new version of events. If you think further on it then you find that of the Observers never existed then Micheal didn't either and the scientists went on to create the Observers and around we go again. Therefore the is room for small loops of time where the Observers exist so that their denise can be orchestrated. It kind of makes sense. September pops up here and there and Michael and Walter exist in the future. But there is still no real reason why they would be erased in 2015 unless the lack of invasion itself would cause some sort of issue.

Darn it. I promised I wouldn't try to explain plot holes!

Fringe...it's been fantastic. You will not be missed because I have the complete bluray boxset on preorder

KxGx

[20]2 days ago
    • level: 6
    I really enjoyed the show. I can see the flaws but tbh im not that hung up on them. I'm the kind of person who enjoys a happy ending. I think the fact that Walter is not dead but living in the future leaves some kind of opportunity for a movie whereby they aim to rescue him. I know there has been discussion of a movie and i am 99.99999% certain that they would not do a movie without him.