Gaming Forum

Power Stone (AC, DC, PSP)

By vert1 (Nov 02, 2012) (#1)

A NEW REVOLUTION...

THE FIRST GO ANYWHERE

GRAB ANYTHING

FIGHTING GAME ON THE PLANET

Power Stone. With breathtaking graphics and 100% true to the arcade, it's the first go-anywhere-grab-anything fighting game on the planet. Swing off a light post, run up walls and pick up items like tables, posts, barrels in swashbuckling battles. Plus! Collect three power stones to transform into a raging super being capable of deadly power fusion moves.

Anyone play this old Dreamcast game? Decided to get play this one again. Having a lot of fun with it. I don't think it's better than Smash64 which was released before it but it's great stuff.

You can't throw everything like you can in Smash. Holding items slows you down. Unlike Smash the melee weapons "break" after a certain amount of uses (endurance). When all your shots are used up your gun automatically drops. You can abandon the weapon whenever you want. The speed of the game is not as quick as Smash -- its speed is perfectly fine for 3D roaming of the stage. There is a bit of sturdiness to the character movement which avoids making the characters pivot / fidget in a distractedly quick and/or loose manner. To get into attack distance really quickly you can jump kick at your opponent.

The super being transformation is handled much better than Brawl. You get three gems and your character gets super versions of all their moves and 2 different super specials (Rouge has a long rang special and a short range one). Aerially grabs are dope. I wasn't sure how to dodge leaving the blue shadow figures behind from playing so I looked in the manual (input any direction as your opponent punches or kicks).   

What I like about Smash visuals are the plumes of smoke that form when someone gets sent flying. For this game what looks nice are the big explosions, the large kicked pots sent sliding, the character hitting the screen; it has a very big and bold style. There is no shielding/blocking in this game so you're kept running from explosive blasts your opposition litters the screen with.

More comparison soon of:
Input possibility space
Close combat - how will dodging impact game

Items on vs off - Power Stone offers no option

While Smash 64 gives you complete customization of items appearance (or removal) this game does not. To remove items from Power Stone would make the game very tame and I wouldn't recommend it. Smash 64, on the other hand, item removal is always the go-to when one wishes to play "seriously".

Stage design & Environment interactivity

Levels have objects on set to throw or kick at your opponent. These items are things like pots and benches. In Smash 64 no stage has stage objects to use right off the bat.
Camera

As far as people not thinking Smash is a competitive game just as much as SF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmW1KkMDj8

edit: Actually there are 3 super special attacks.

Last edited by vert1 (Nov 28, 2012)

By vert1 (Nov 24, 2012) (#2)

Day 2: Power Stone & Friends

Played this with my friend two times. Discovered an unlisted move where you can launch yourself off of walls by pressing the throw button when you touch the wall. This really speeds up and makes heavy characters more fearsome since they can body slam with long range with this. Jump kicking can be countered by moving out of the way on the ground or doing a jump kick right after they do one. The dodging system is very strange and I can't say I have full mastery of it.

I don't see any point of picking up melee weapons since they are slow to wield and slow down your movement. The flamethrower is probably the best item since it can sweep giving it a bigger damage radius and makes it very hard to approach. The pistol is the next best weapon since the bullets shoot out fast and at any distance. The rpg explosions may counter something your opponent has picked up but it can be dodged without much trouble by your opponent.

When you hit someone hard enough they pop out a power stone to the location area where you are. Getting the 3 power stones transforms your regular moves to moves that shoot your own special projectile (i.e. shruikens, flames, boulders, etc). The super special moves are very cool and show off your characters uniqueness. When someone gets powered up your only chance to stop them is to either knock them back with powerful weapons or grab them. Attempting the latter is highly unrecommended. What generally happens is that after powering up the person encroaches on their opponent to do a high-damage close range special.

There aren't any items I feel should be banned or provide a great advantage by someone being lucky to stand where it spawns. I think Jack is probably top tier. It's unclear whether heavy characters are at a disadvantage against fast characters.

Last edited by vert1 (Nov 24, 2012)