Gaming Forum

Neo Geo is back!

By avatar! (Oct 23, 2012) (#1)

http://www.amazon.com/NEOGEO-GOLD-Limit … B0093G9VOI

OK, if this doesn't surprise, I have no idea what will!
I really want to put this under the category of "marketing gimmick" and yet, I keep hearing some voice saying "totally awesome!" So if this is a marketing gimmick, I think I'm all for it! I have to say it's a little more nicely priced than the original Neo Geo... which was $649.99  back in 1991! So today that's roughly $1100... yeah, I can't understand why the Neo Geo did not sell well. Anyway, I think it's pretty sweet.

Part of me loves the idea, but the other part of me knows it is just emulation. I would need to actually handle the portable console before committing to a purchase (the Neo Geo sticks are great, so the home part is fine). Can't complain about the game selection.

When this made the rounds on the fighting game boards, a lot of people thought this was a hoax.

By Yotsuya (Oct 23, 2012) (#3)

Wow this looks so cool! I love SNK and the home arcade experience, and taking it on the go doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I like how it has a charging station that doubles as a television adapter, because I always feel idiotic playing a handheld at home. Plus you get the joystick. Can't see any faults here.

Yotsuya wrote:

Can't see any faults here.

In theory, it's an excellent idea. But we need to see how the emulation is and how well the hardware holds up. Fingers crossed.

One early report was that you could play AES carts in the docking station, but according to the FAQ, you cannot.

By Smeg (Oct 23, 2012) (#5)

GoldfishX wrote:

One early report was that you could play AES carts in the docking station, but according to the FAQ, you cannot.

Judging from the pictures, the cartridge slot is a dummy. The whole thing is basically a pretense, if an interesting one.

By Jay (Oct 23, 2012) (#6)

I love the idea. I think if it has the Last Blades and Garou, I'd be all over it.