Game Music

Who performed Liberi Fatali on the FF8 OST?

By Manitou (Aug 7 '06, 20:28) (#1)

I'm curious. Can't find this info online (lost my CD, unfortunately). I keep reading that Liberi Fatali was the first orchestra recording to be used in a video game. First, is this true? Second, which orchestra performed the piece and who conducted it?

Manitou wrote:

I keep reading that Liberi Fatali was the first orchestra recording to be used in a video game. First, is this true?

No, it wasn't the first in Japan (some examples are Sakura Wars 1 and 2, and Grandia 1), and The Lost World, which had the first fully orchestrated soundtrack, was before it as well.

-Joshua

The first game I know of that used a full orchestra in the game itself was "Return to Zork" which was released in the US for PC in 1993 and then later for PC-FX in japan.

Blessings,
~Andy

By McCall (Aug 8 '06, 1:26) (#4)

It was the first Final Fantasy to use a full, live orchestra. smile

I have no idea who the performers are...I'll check around.

By richard (Aug 8 '06, 3:30) (#5)

Wasn't Manji Maru on the PC Engine a full orchestra for some of the pieces?

By Flexar (Aug 8 '06, 4:55) (#6)

The booklet doesn't mention a certain orchestra (only a list of musicians) but the conductor was Katsuaki Nakatani.

By Harry (Aug 8 '06, 5:24) (#7)

Conductor: Katsuaki Nakatani
Vocals - Soprano: Komaki Miyabe, Matsue Hamauzu
Vocals - Alto: Chie Sasakura, Hitomi Kaga
Vocals - Tenor: Hirokazu Takigushi, Jun Suzuki
Vocals - Bass: Katsuyuki Nakanishi, Takeshi Yamagami
Horn: Otohiko Fujita, Mitso Matsuura, Takahito Saijyo, Megumi Ishitashi
Trumpet: Masahiko Sugasaka, Toshio Araki, Hitoshi Yokoyama
Trombone: Masanori Hirohara, Yuzo Kataoka, Junko Yamashiro
Tuba: Kiyoshi Sato; Flute: Takashi Asahi
Clarinet: Tadashi Hoshino, Ayako Oura
Keyboard: Haruki Mino, Masato Matsuda
Harp: You Saito
Percussion: Teiko Haruna, Tomoko Kusakari, Isao Kanayama
String Ensemble: Masatsugu Shinozaki Group

lordskylark wrote:

The first game I know of that used a full orchestra in the game itself was "Return to Zork" which was released in the US for PC in 1993 and then later for PC-FX in japan.

You sure that actually used one?

-Joshua

By Ramza (Aug 8 '06, 13:46) (#9)

"It was the first Final Fantasy to use a full, live orchestra."

Didn't the end of FFVII have a full live orchestra? End credits and all that...

Cuz this poster apparently just sent me an email @rpgfan.com, and I apparently just told him that, among other things.

Ramza

By Manitou (Aug 8 '06, 14:20) (#10)

Yes, it was frantic fact-checking. Thanks to all. Maybe it was just some union-organized orchestra or something similar, but the conductor's name is important.

I'm quickly recording a one-hour radio show for WQED in Pittsburgh about vg music, and this helps a lot.

TerraEpon wrote:

lordskylark wrote:

You sure that actually used one?

-Joshua

Yeah, I'm sure. I used to listen to it all the time because it was redbook audio. I would just pop it into my cd player. I can upload a sample.

~Andy

Ramza wrote:

"It was the first Final Fantasy to use a full, live orchestra."

Didn't the end of FFVII have a full live orchestra? End credits and all that...

Cuz this poster apparently just sent me an email @rpgfan.com, and I apparently just told him that, among other things.

Ramza

Pretty sure it was sequenced.  The entire FF7 OST is in that PSF set.  No left-out tracks at all. :)

The choir was real though, obviously.

lordskylark wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure. I used to listen to it all the time because it was redbook audio. I would just pop it into my cd player. I can upload a sample.

Hmmm, well that's kinda odd. I wonder if it was written for the game then? That could explain it...

-Joshua

By McCall (Aug 8 '06, 15:22) (#14)

Yeah, FF7 had a real choir, but all the orchestra stuff was synthized, as oppsed to FF8's full recording sessions.

Yeah, everything in FF7 was digital and even the choir they combined into the digital music for OWA sounds funky and dated these days, I think.

By Wanderer (Aug 8 '06, 20:57) (#16)

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

Yeah, everything in FF7 was digital and even the choir they combined into the digital music for OWA sounds funky and dated these days, I think.

The choir was never exactly top quality. If I remember correctly, there was only four people credited in it (which isn't even technically a chorus).

By Schala (Aug 8 '06, 22:08) (#17)

Manitou wrote:

I'm quickly recording a one-hour radio show for WQED in Pittsburgh about vg music, and this helps a lot.

That's cool...good luck with that. ^_^

By Harry (Aug 9 '06, 8:05) (#18)

Wanderer wrote:

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

The choir was never exactly top quality. If I remember correctly, there was only four people credited in it (which isn't even technically a chorus).

True, it wasn't the greatest quality, but it had Masashi Hamauzu and he is the Sqeenix god.