Soundtracks Forum

Collection remade !

It was inevitable.

Trying to downsize further was my mistake.

So I had a fairly varied collection. Now, not so much.

I thought about what made me love game music in the first place.

Squaresoft.

Remember that name, folks ?

Still wanting to keep my VGM collection at 10, I had to make many choices.

I loved RPG soundtracks when I started the hobby.

So... what did I .... rebuy ?

Final Fantasy VII OST

Like a lot of people on here, FF7 and FF6 go together like peanut butter and jelly. I loved the game a great deal. The soundtrack was no exception. I don't need to elaborate.

Final Fantasy Tactics OST

Having been a major FFT fan since its release in '98, the music had really made an impact on me. I still see it as the best synth-orchestral music out there. 

Einhander OST

I loved the game. A lot. The music was also amazing. So no wonder I got the reprint.

An Cinniuint

Back in the day, I did my fair share of Mitsuda bashing. After much thought, I decided to give this particular score a second chance. This made me realize what a great composer Mitsuda has been. While it's no Chrono Trigger or Xenogears, it still manages to hold on its own spot. How many RPG soundtracks out there can you say are made mostly with celtic-style music ?

Lord of Vermilion OST

Since I heard this OST upon release, I didn't think of it much then... Now, I can safely say that this OST was worth looking into. What more would one want when you love rock and game music ? Everytime my playlist gets a track from this, I listen up and appreciate.

The Last Story OST

I have seen many people being negative with this work. I was skeptical at first myself. After several listens, it has grown on me. I think the cinematic tracks do well as background music while doing chores while the more interesting battle music really gets me pumped for anything. Even feeding my tarantulas. Eventually, I'll feed them with "The One Ruling Everything" playing in the background.... won't that be awesome ?

Romancing Saga 2 OSV

I've loved Kenji Ito since I discovered him with Romancing Saga 3. But after hearing all 3 OSVs, I feel that #2 has the best overall work. Little to no filler. Plus the battle themes on here are easily the best of the triology in my opinion.

Final Fantasy VI Grand Finale

Since I loved the FFVI OSV, I always desired the arrange album, despite some complaints. I feel it provides more than enough entertainment.

Romancing Saga 2 Eternal Romance

Relaxing music ? Yes.

Good music ? Yes indeed !

Final Fantasy VI OSV

Do I really need to elaborate ? Nah.

So there we have it.

Racing Lagoon and Vagrant Story are two of my absolute favorite Squaresoft discs that aren't Mitsuda or Uematsu.

Like you, Squaresoft had a huge hold on what I played and listened to. There never has been a company quite like Squaresoft as far as I'm concerned.

There's no doubt...back in the day, Square was a major force. Makes their downturn over the years all the more intolerable (shoutouts to Ishimoto!). If I felt the need to limit myself to a number of albums, several classic Square albums would be in there (FFVI, CT, FFVII and probably Seiken 3, MAYBE Chrono Cross and FF Mystic Quest). As is, I like them as part of my VGM "pool" when I set my player on random.

By longhairmike (Sep 08, 2012) (#4)

i also cant get enough of the (squareless) enix osts.

actraiser, soulblader, illusion of gaia, terranigma, ogre battle, mystic ark all get regular rotation in my cd changer.
i work at home so i just load it up in the morning and it keeps me paced, no need to jump on the ipod bandwagon.
yesterday i had FFT & FF6 in there.

Last edited by longhairmike (Sep 08, 2012)

By Zane (Sep 08, 2012) (#5)

The most classic of the classics. No matter what, there are always old school (or semi-old school) Squaresoft albums that I always find myself coming back to over the years: FFV-X, FFT, FF Vocal Collections, SaGa 2 Piano, Vagrant Story... truly timeless albums.

Wow !! Wasn't expecting so many replies. Guess a lot of us have been touched by Square in their "Golden Years".

Hearing back all those classics brought much nostalgia rushing back to me. Good times !!

Last edited by Dragon God (Sep 08, 2012)

Most agreed. SQEX is but a mere shadow of what SS used to be, and maybe not even..
I got into VGM as well thanks to these early games. I remember making a cassette tape out of SD2 music to listen on my beloved walkman, I never would have thought CDs/OSTs existed back then XD

And yeah, great (and expected) choices Dragon, although I'd put FFV and Soukaigi mandatory as well wink

Dragon God wrote:

Wow !! Wasn't expecting so many replies. Guess a lot of us have been touched by Square in their "Golden Years".

Well, them, Konami, Capcom, Falcom...I still think all of those companies were in their golden years throughout the 90's and have largely tapered off in some ways or another. But no doubting Square was the king of the console RPG soundtracks back then and up until MAYBE FFVIII, Uematsu was pretty much THE guy in VGM.

Edit: Forgot, would have Final Fantasy V (sometimes forget this one because it's too smooth, too likable) and Mario RPG (hmm, just had a braincramp on this one). And Xenogears (two brain cramps...I'm getting old)

Last edited by GoldfishX (Sep 08, 2012)

By Judgment Day (Sep 10, 2012) (#9)

Dragon God wrote:

Romancing Saga 2 OSV

I've loved Kenji Ito since I discovered him with Romancing Saga 3. But after hearing all 3 OSVs, I feel that #2 has the best overall work. Little to no filler. Plus the battle themes on here are easily the best of the triology in my opinion.

You and me both - even though Romancing SaGa 3 didn't start my import collection, the purchase was the push for me to dedicate myself to importing Game Music CDs, via places that sold them in magazines and especially comic conventions, which were HUGE on the import CD stuff back in the 90s.

RS3 Battle Themes vs RS2 Battle Themes? That's actually pretty tough for me. I'd say 2 is better overall, but I think SaGa 3 "Battle 1" has the best song. Battle 1 is simply insane, and I always seem to come back to it. But they're all excellent though. PS: I would love this to be Chip-Tuned by the SQ Chips Team.

Judgment Day wrote:

Dragon God wrote:

Romancing Saga 2 OSV

You and me both - even though Romancing SaGa 3 didn't start my import collection, the purchase was the push for me to dedicate myself to importing Game Music CDs, via places that sold them in magazines and especially comic conventions, which were HUGE on the import CD stuff back in the 90s.

RS3 Battle Themes vs RS2 Battle Themes? That's actually pretty tough for me. I'd say 2 is better overall, but I think SaGa 3 "Battle 1" has the best song. Battle 1 is simply insane, and I always seem to come back to it. But they're all excellent though. PS: I would love this to be Chip-Tuned by the SQ Chips Team.

I realize that post is old... but RS2 Vs RS3... honestly ? I'll take the RS2 main battle theme over the RS3 battle theme anyday. I think RS2's has a bit more of "excitement" to it. Tho I have to go through the RS2 Opening Theme to hear it... yet it flows quite well in the end.

A slight switch.

Tsugunai OST, Lord of Vermilion OST and Last Story OST are to be replaced by...

SaGa Frontier II OST

I have never been much of a Hamauzu fan, but I did enjoy what was found here. Time to look into it again and re-appreciate it.

Front Mission Alternative

I may be the only person on this forum that actually really enjoyed this album. I used to listen to this while playing in online tournaments.

Street Fighter Tribute Album

I've always desired this album since day one. Time to finally claim my "prize".

By GoldfishX (Oct 21, 2012) (#12)

I'm no Hamauzu fan either, but swapping Last Story for Saga Frontier II is a damn good swap! Likewise, can't say I'm too big on Lord of Vermillion, outside of the main theme that keeps popping up. SF Tribute is pretty decent, one of the better all-star arranges but has mixing issues (too loud!). Tsugunai is actually rather fresh to me at the moment, but it's definitely one to get after Mitsuda's "big 3" (Chronos + Xenogears).

GoldfishX wrote:

I'm no Hamauzu fan either, but swapping Last Story for Saga Frontier II is a damn good swap! Likewise, can't say I'm too big on Lord of Vermillion, outside of the main theme that keeps popping up. SF Tribute is pretty decent, one of the better all-star arranges but has mixing issues (too loud!). Tsugunai is actually rather fresh to me at the moment, but it's definitely one to get after Mitsuda's "big 3" (Chronos + Xenogears).

I had forgotten how good SaGa Frontier II's music was... definitely way ahead of Last Story in the melody department. It's also much more cheerful, which I like. LoV relies too much on the main theme, so going back with Front Mission Alternative is a smart move in my mind. Granted, not everybody will enjoy Arai's unique approach, but it can be good working-out music. Last but not least, Tsugunai simply doesn't surpass Mitsuda's big 3 scores at Square. He isin't being completely phased out of my collection since he does one arrangement on the Street Fighter Tribute album. And this particular album reunites me with many artists I enjoyed during my "VGM collection career" such as Yack, Hosoe, Hayama and Koshiro to name a few, so I still end up on top and happy with such a limited collection.

By Ramza (Oct 25, 2012) (#14)

Hurray for SF2! I still love Hamauzu, but I think it is rare to find a track on any of his newer work that tops some of his best tracks from SF2.