Why does it seem like everyone on the OC Remix forums are a bunch of stuck up snobs?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Aug 2009, 22:21

Why does it seem like everyone on the OC Remix forums are a bunch of stuck up snobs?

I’ve been coming to OC Remix for several years to increase my music library. The songs posted are magnificent. Then I started to move more into the site. I started with the review forums. This was all fine and dandy but it seemed everyone had something nice to say. This isn’t so much of a problem except I find it hard to believe that no one has a negative opinion about a specific mix. If someone did voice their honest opinion, other forum members seemed to attack them.

Then I tried the general board. I admit I was a noob at the time. My first topic was about a specific artist and my appreciation for him and his music. As if immediately I got a reply from another user trying to be helpful and asking me to change the contents of the topic I posted. I don’t understand why we can’t discuss our favorite artists. Oh that’s right, everyone there is perfect.

Exploring more, it seemed the only people that got along were the artists, and the only thing they could seem to agree on was that the site needed to become more stricter. Any user that didn’t seem to make music was just like a poor person on the street. “Point at the pointless person posting in our forums and laugh.” It was the same artists that I had grown to love their music that were trying to make the site I thought I liked less fun.

I still come back from time to time to check on any new music, but I refuse to enter the forums. All they ever do is anger me in some way. I was hoping OC Remix would be a fun community, but it’s just a place with people that think too highly of themselves and enforce too many useless rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if some mod from OC Remix deletes this. "He doesn't agree with our supreme judging? DELETE!"

• Welcome to the internet. Almost every forum is a group of regulars and friends, when someone new comes along it's probably awkward and annoying unless they can seemlessly blend in. The internet community, for the most part, is elitist.
    The site's not strict, just learn regular forum etiquette.

• Pyrion said...
    • User
    • 6 Sep 2009, 03:12

Re: Why does it seem like everyone on the OC Remix forums are a bunch of stuck up snobs?

I don’t understand why we can’t discuss our favorite artists.

"Favorite" anything topics are disallowed there because if it weren't, it would inevitably degenerate into the kind of inane stupidity that most general discussion forums turn into when the only topics of interest are fuckin' surveys.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Sep 2009, 20:37

Fuckin surveys? Inane Stupidity? Surely you jest...

You must be one of the snobs. I enjoy the music on OC Remix, but get over yourself.. No reason to curse at someone because you lack the capability to disagree with tact.

• Hmm... well in the review forums, generally, people that don't like the music, don't listen to it and therefore don't say anything bad about it.

You get it with all music, you don't find people criticizing songs by commercial artists (except critics) such as coldplay, as people that dislike them aren't interested in them and don't seek them out, and those that do are just people looking for a fight - seriously.

Some mixes do get some bad reviews sometimes anyway, and some people have something bad to say at times... check out the review thread for my snowboardin' sonic mix... alot of people had some negative critique for it.

Also, the reason your not allowed to discus favorite mixers etc is because it starts needless flamewars as everyone has different opinions.

Finally, I think you have the wrong impression about the forums in general, if you look at the forums, yeah, you get the odd noob who makes fun of newbies, I had it and i'm sure others did, but name me a forum that doesn't have this problem.

Most people on the site, are generally nice people, all you have to do is frequent the forums to realize that.

Btw some of the sub-forums can be a bit harsh at times, so I understand the angle your coming form, but I think your being a bit overally critical for someone that doesn't frequent the forums.

Still, its good to see that you enjoy the music, which is what ocremix is about at the end of the day :D

• Hey. I've been signed up for the forums since 2002 and I haven't talked on them much. Up until a few months ago, I still had less than 50 posts. I think there are a lot of egos, and a ton of arrogance, but you can either learn to ignore it or clash with these peoples. I've been doing a fair bit of both of those. I love modest people, and I'm severely annoyed with people who think they're better than everyone else, or "more educated." It's just ridiculous.

I'm not letting it stop me from participating though. Not yet anyway. I was on the Xenogears album project, and I have a song on a bunch of in-progress projects, including my own. Who knows what'll come next. :P

At any rate, I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with it, and I wish it was more accommodating, but there's not much you can do.

Brandon

• Response

Ah, I've seen and done it all on OCR. Members ain't nuthin'. It's all about the music, so just avoid the assholes and aim for the prize, baby.

Salluz

• Re: Why does it seem like everyone on the OC Remix forums are a bunch of stuck up snobs?

stick with us long enough and you'll start to feel the mood of the forum.

Also remixers are always open enough to ear constructive criticism about their remixes in the wip boards. but you probably need a good ear and some music knowledge to point the flaw, because saying "nice" and "it sucks" doesn't help really.

a dit :
    You must be one of the snobs. I enjoy the music on OC Remix, but get over yourself.. No reason to curse at someone because you lack the capability to disagree with tact.

because mods know that 99% of the time this will end in flamewar and flamewar doesn't add anything to a board period. If the world was happy and perfect, we all would like to enjoy a good "favorite" thread about anything but it's not the case.

You are free to review any OCRemixes in the review board (and those are under used so go there provide feedback for a remixes.) and if you don't like it you can write it there, but tell us why. what sucks in it, don't just post "i don't like it" that's all.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.