More News
Halo 4
Thursday 1-Nov-2012 7:01 AM

Halo 4

343 sets out to reclaim the FPS throne 360  24

Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Saturday 27-Oct-2012 12:44 PM

Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Like Ronseal, does exactly what it says on the tin. Including the burning eyes and nausea upon prolonged exposure 360  17

007 Legends
Tuesday 23-Oct-2012 11:08 AM

007 Legends

The game's bombed. Game's. Bombed. 360  15

• Monday 22-Oct-2012 11:09 AM DOOM 3: BFG Edition Hell isn't other people, it's getting shot in the back 360  20
  • Friday 19-Oct-2012 3:23 PM Happy Wars Xbox 360's first free-to-play game doesn't quite dazzle XLA  11
  • Friday 12-Oct-2012 12:51 PM WRC 3 Third time sucky 360  8
  • Friday 12-Oct-2012 8:46 AM Forza Horizon Xbox 360's best sim gets a brasher, brighter spin-off 360  13
  • Thursday 11-Oct-2012 1:00 PM Of Orcs and Men Fighting institutionalised racism is actually quite fun 360  2
  • Thursday 11-Oct-2012 9:00 AM The Walking Dead Episode 4: Around Every Corner Do not ask for whom the bell tolls XLA  18
  • Tuesday 9-Oct-2012 1:00 PM Fable: The Journey Cart, horse and magic spewing mittens at the ready? Albion my way 360  21
More Reviews
More Previews
More Features
Kinect Nat Geo TV
Friday 21-Sep-2012 2:33 PM

Kinect Nat Geo TV

Let's learn about bears and then punch a wolf KIN 

More Kinect
More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

What if Halo was a horror game? And other Halloween tales

Your comments on our articles.

Five franchises that could be chilling

It's Halloween, time of devilry and chaos, and the internet is full to the brim with hastily cobbled-together lists of scary things like leering pumpkins, Photoshopped pictures of ghosts and massively over-priced copies of Silent Hill.

... read more

What if Halo was a horror game? And other Halloween tales

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Oct 12 3:47 pm

Games that could make fantastic horror games if handled differently?

Dead Space 3?

Resident Evil 6?

Too soon?
If life gives you Melons, you may have dyslexia
CunningSmile

Re: What if Halo was a horror game? And other Halloween tale

Postby OXM ETboy » 31 Oct 12 3:57 pm

I did consider putting Resident Evil on the end there - it would have been a masterful zing. But I'm too kind, dear.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Oct 12 4:16 pm

Resi 6? Zing indeed, the horror element was the only thing that wasn't scary.

Timesplitters 2 is the scariest thing I've ever played. Split screen virus mode. Being chased by a flaming duckman drake as it squawks is a horrible feeling, then running into the toasty gingerbread man.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
FishyGinger

Postby comabob » 31 Oct 12 6:59 pm

I wanna see some developer copy the bully setup but cross a little Deadly Premonition (town full of NPCs who behave like actual people) and a little Clock Tower (constantly pursued by a menacing killer)

Keep the protagonist as a child - keep the schoolyard highjinx - but once its dark a creepy killer stalks the school bumping off characters. Being an intrepid young rapscallion you embark on a DP style investigation in the school/town while constantly threatened by nighttime attacks.

Slap a R* logo on it and ill buy that for a dollar.

As far as games on 360 that do exist - Condemned 1 is the only true horror game imho
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob

Postby msbhvn » 31 Oct 12 7:46 pm

I was going to put Condemned on tonight, being Halloween, but Dead Island "shouldn't be called Game of the Year edition" was on my backlog pile and I'm a bit sick of Borderlands 2, so I started that instead.
I'm not advocating that we kill stupid people, I'm just saying we should take some of the warning labels off things and let the problem take care of itself.
msbhvn

Postby CunningSmile » 1 Nov 12 9:24 am

comabob wrote:I wanna see some developer copy the bully setup but cross a little Deadly Premonition (town full of NPCs who behave like actual people) and a little Clock Tower (constantly pursued by a menacing killer)

Keep the protagonist as a child - keep the schoolyard highjinx - but once its dark a creepy killer stalks the school bumping off characters. Being an intrepid young rapscallion you embark on a DP style investigation in the school/town while constantly threatened by nighttime attacks.

Slap a R* logo on it and ill buy that for a dollar.

As far as games on 360 that do exist - Condemned 1 is the only true horror game imho

Oo, here's my dollar too!!!
If life gives you Melons, you may have dyslexia
CunningSmile

Postby Dowgle » 1 Nov 12 3:00 pm

FishyGinger wrote:Resi 6? Zing indeed, the horror element was the only thing that wasn't scary.

Timesplitters 2 is the scariest thing I've ever played. Split screen virus mode. Being chased by a flaming duckman drake as it squawks is a horrible feeling, then running into the toasty gingerbread man.

The virus mode on Timesplitters scares the bejesusssss out of me, especially if you're the last one alive. Great, great game.
Dowgle