More News
Halo 4
Thursday 1-Nov-2012 7:01 AM

Halo 4

343 sets out to reclaim the FPS throne 360  24

Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Saturday 27-Oct-2012 12:44 PM

Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Like Ronseal, does exactly what it says on the tin. Including the burning eyes and nausea upon prolonged exposure 360  17

007 Legends
Tuesday 23-Oct-2012 11:08 AM

007 Legends

The game's bombed. Game's. Bombed. 360  15

• Monday 22-Oct-2012 11:09 AM DOOM 3: BFG Edition Hell isn't other people, it's getting shot in the back 360  20
  • Friday 19-Oct-2012 3:23 PM Happy Wars Xbox 360's first free-to-play game doesn't quite dazzle XLA  11
  • Friday 12-Oct-2012 12:51 PM WRC 3 Third time sucky 360  8
  • Friday 12-Oct-2012 8:46 AM Forza Horizon Xbox 360's best sim gets a brasher, brighter spin-off 360  13
  • Thursday 11-Oct-2012 1:00 PM Of Orcs and Men Fighting institutionalised racism is actually quite fun 360  2
  • Thursday 11-Oct-2012 9:00 AM The Walking Dead Episode 4: Around Every Corner Do not ask for whom the bell tolls XLA  18
  • Tuesday 9-Oct-2012 1:00 PM Fable: The Journey Cart, horse and magic spewing mittens at the ready? Albion my way 360  21
More Reviews
More Previews
More Features
Kinect Nat Geo TV
Friday 21-Sep-2012 2:33 PM

Kinect Nat Geo TV

Let's learn about bears and then punch a wolf KIN 

More Kinect
More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

New IP: have Dishonored, Dragon's Dogma and Sleeping Dogs pr

Your comments on our articles.

Do we really have to wait till next gen?

Timing is the great unacknowledged dark art of games publishing. A difference of weeks, even days can equate to thousands of additional boxes shifted. Just look at Medal of Honor: Warfighter, for instance. It's a fairly shambolic military shooter which can't hold a cigarette lighter to the likes of Battlefield 3, but in releasing a couple of weeks before Black Ops 2 - and thus, leveraging annual Call of Duty fever - EA has scraped the semblance of a victory from the jaws of defeat. The game topped UK charts in launch week, despite almost universal reviewer disdain. It probably won't pull that off again, and the publisher has already noted that sales are "below expectations", but it's better than Warfighter deserves.

... read more

New IP: have Dishonored, Dragon's Dogma and Sleeping Dogs pr

Postby Grummy » 31 Oct 12 12:51 pm

I've never really understood why summer was a dead-zone for game releases, surely it should be a prime time? Kids are out of school, so they'll all want new games to play, and as an adult gamer, I can't honestly say that I have any aversion to buying games in the summer, just the opposite, I WANT more games in the summer. Also, as a prospective parent, I don't see a time at all in the future where summer will be harder for me to game than winter. Sure, I won't be putting in hours and hours every day, but I'll still be able to game frequently, or mores to the point, just as frequently in one season as another.

I really don't get it.
Do not mistake his appetite for triangular sandwich apathy!
Grummy

Re: New IP: have Dishonored, Dragon's Dogma and Sleeping Dog

Postby DGR1980 » 31 Oct 12 1:00 pm

Speaking as someone who gets sunburnt in factor 50 sun cream in 5 minutes during the summer, the more decent games that come out may - august the better
DGR1980

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Oct 12 1:10 pm

People of the non-vampire complexion generally stay outside longer in summer, play games less and the younglings are taken away on holidays. I myself am a daywalker but I still like to head out more in summer.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
FishyGinger

Postby Grummy » 31 Oct 12 1:19 pm

Some, yes, but if GTA V was announced for release August 2nd next year, it wouldn't lose any sales for it, indeed, people would make a point of still buying and playing it because it's a big deal for gamers.

Also, we don't exactly get a lot of sunshine in British summers, and holidays only take up a couple of weeks across a whole 3ish month season.
Grummy

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Oct 12 1:45 pm

It's impossible to say any numbers but I'd have thunk people still prefer to go out even when the weather isn't the best. Town is always jam packed of a weekend certainly but would think people tend to spend their money on films/games when it's dark and cold and cinema/eating out when it's summer....and cold.

These companies do generally know their stuff with marketing and release dates though so there must be some good reason for it.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
FishyGinger

Postby Grummy » 31 Oct 12 1:48 pm

FishyGinger wrote:It's impossible to say any numbers but I'd have thunk people still prefer to go out even when the weather isn't the best. Town is always jam packed of a weekend certainly but would think people tend to spend their money on films/games when it's dark and cold and cinema/eating out when it's summer....and cold.

These companies do generally know their stuff with marketing and release dates though so there must be some good reason for it.

And yet trends change. The games industry has changed and grown so fast that some aspects will be lagging behind. It's very possible that they're labouring under outdated practices but no major publisher is willing to take the plunge to test the waters.
Grummy

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Oct 12 2:02 pm

I find it hard to shake the feeling that much of this perceived "wisdom" is based on massively outdated info from previous console cycles.

Going back to the PS1/N64 era we could expect to wait only a few years before a new console came along that was truly revolutionary so why would you buy a new game at the end of that time? You bought the sequel because that's where you played the first but the new IPs came with the new console because that's where you could do new stuff.

Looking at the current generation and both the big consoles have untapped potential and are still turning out games that were undreamt of at launch. The games have gone from strength to strength as developers have got to grips with the programming but the publishers are still locked in this old idea and so don't support new releases. No marketing = no sales and that is then held up as proof they were right not to promote it in the first place.
If life gives you Melons, you may have dyslexia
CunningSmile

Postby fracturedrich » 31 Oct 12 4:03 pm

we have gone from new ip to summer winter winter release its some thing to do with christmas, games should be more spread out there will be loads before next summer .dishonored and dragons dogma have left me wanting more but i class xcom as a new ip guys and that has also left me wanting more but playing ac3 today says i dont care if its new ip or a follow up as long as the time has been put into it and its good ime all for it .
fracturedrich

Postby Worthies » 1 Nov 12 4:46 pm

Grummy wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:It's impossible to say any numbers but I'd have thunk people still prefer to go out even when the weather isn't the best. Town is always jam packed of a weekend certainly but would think people tend to spend their money on films/games when it's dark and cold and cinema/eating out when it's summer....and cold.

And yet trends change. The games industry has changed and grown so fast that some aspects will be lagging behind. It's very possible that they're labouring under outdated practices but no major publisher is willing to take the plunge to test the waters.

I suppose many companies might still be using sales models from a few years ago when gaming was still a niche market, however since gaming has become one of, if not the largest entertainment medium at the moment, with video games completely outselling everything else last Christmas. So why not release games all year round, they do it with films without major repercussions to their sales.
Worthies

Postby CunningSmile » 2 Nov 12 9:52 am

Worthies wrote:I suppose many companies might still be using sales models from a few years ago when gaming was still a niche market, however since gaming has become one of, if not the largest entertainment medium at the moment, with video games completely outselling everything else last Christmas. So why not release games all year round, they do it with films without major repercussions to their sales.

You say films do it but in the film industry they still aim for May, August or November/December for the Blockbusters and everyone else stears clear. Similarly kids films tend to aim for June/July and Horror films do better in late October (sure you can guess why) I think it's just that the film industry has had time to get more diverse in terms of size that it seems to be more spread out. In fact if you include XBLA, Indie titles etc barely a week goes by that there isn't something released for Xbox.
If life gives you Melons, you may have dyslexia
CunningSmile