Register or Sign in

See that awful stuff about Ghost Recon earlier in the week? Here's what we've got to say on the matter: http://t.co/BQVyrGMH
More News
Dragons Dogma
Friday 18-May-2012 12:01 AM

Dragon's Dogma

An Eastern take on Western RPGs proves fascinating and brilliant 360  26

Max Payne 3
Monday 14-May-2012 5:00 PM

Max Payne 3

It's time to go loud. And that's just the shirt... 360  32

Minecraft
Monday 7-May-2012 5:00 PM

Minecraft

Mojang's phenomenal sim comes to Xbox Live Arcade XLA  87

Awesomenauts
Wednesday 2-May-2012 12:05 PM

Awesomenauts

Ronimo's sci-fi side-scroller is a beautiful, chaotic space oddity XLA  1

Sniper Elite V2
Tuesday 1-May-2012 5:00 PM

Sniper Elite V2

Shaky shooter doesn't quite hit the mark 360  31

• Monday 30-Apr-2012 5:00 PM Fable Heroes The cheery, crown-wearing face of modern slaughter XLA  5
  • Saturday 28-Apr-2012 9:00 AM The Walking Dead: Episode 1 Episodic undead stuff that's better than TV. XLA  9
  • Friday 27-Apr-2012 5:30 PM Bloodforge Black and white isn't always classy 10
  • Tuesday 24-Apr-2012 9:51 AM FIFA 12 UEFA Euro 2012 EA in sensible spin-off shocker 360  8
  • Monday 23-Apr-2012 5:36 PM Prototype 2 Slice, dice and chop - all with a single press of a button 360  7
  • Tuesday 17-Apr-2012 5:00 PM Trials Evolution A game of skill, balance, determination and health insurance XLA  18
  • Friday 13-Apr-2012 6:50 PM Fez We take our hats off to it XLA  15
More Reviews
More Previews
More Features
More Kinect
Minecraft
Monday 7-May-2012 5:00 PM

Minecraft

Mojang's phenomenal sim comes to Xbox Live Arcade XLA  87

More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 6:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 12:11 PM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 7:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 12:45 PM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 7:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 7:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

Square Enix: fans want Final Fantasy VII remake, but new gam

Your comments on our articles.

Also, Yoshinori Kitase is the franchise's guiding light

Ah, the old Final Fantasy VII remake chestnut. Square Enix's Tetsuya Nomura has stepped up for another chew, insisting that reviving the classics isn't as important as crafting new experiences.

... read more

Square Enix: fans want Final Fantasy VII remake, but new gam

Postby michaelhill2110 » 16 May 12 8:25 am

even though i would LOVE a remake i know in my heart that its not ment to be. it would take 3 ps3 discs to hold all the data ffs!!! thats 9 360 discs!!! (if you go by the FF13 conversion). yes they could alwase do it for next gen but it'll never have the same effect. they would also want changes and improvements and that would bug too many people. look at the other sequals/prequals/remakes they've done. for final fantisy 7 they include a movie which caused the canning of the section of sony making it, a third person shooter that confused and anoyed people, and crysis core which was ok but still didnt have the magic. then you look at final fantisy 10-2 a joke, and the recent 13-2 a mindeless cash-in. no. make something new and make it good
michaelhill2110

Re: Square Enix: fans want Final Fantasy VII remake, but new

Postby STE MO » 16 May 12 8:41 am

michaelhill2110 wrote: it would take 3 ps3 discs to hold all the data ffs!!! thats 9 360 discs!!! (if you go by the FF13 conversion)

How does that add up to 3 BD discs. When a single Blu Ray disc can hold 128GB?

I would love them to do a remake, well not so much remake more a update to HD visuals and voice acting oh and digitally remastered music. But if Kitase wants to start changing things then it a big fat NO. It was good enough as it was. So good that I brought it on twice on PS, once on PC and I've just got it on PS3, which I never play because of Minecraft, god damn you Mojang. So the long and short of it is update but don't tinker. For me anyhow
STE MO

Postby 8bithero » 16 May 12 10:25 am

Just remake it, everyone wants it. Simple
8bithero

Postby mistergrimm » 16 May 12 10:43 am

If I remember right, the issue is not that they flat out refuse to remake it, but that remaking the game and still keeping the same gameworld with all it's features would take a painstakingly long time, be ridiculously expensive and would result in huge file sizes. One of the main points I read somewhere (probably here) was that FF7 used background art rather than rendered environments, and to make the game on 360 they'd need everything to be fully rendered by the game's engine which simply wouldn't be worth the resources invested.
mistergrimm

Postby DropTheDime69 » 16 May 12 11:02 am

Lol well how about they get in gear and make some decent new games :s
13 was a fail for me it wasn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but just wasn't final fantasy to me.
13-2 was a bit better quite enjoyed it but was still missing that magic spark most the other final fantasy games have.
And then there is versus 13 which I think was announced in summer 2006 now that to me is not right 6 years and as far as I know has only entered full development this year.
I have lost a lot of love for the franchise over the last few years and can't see a bright future for it but I hope I'm proven wrong.
I think a remake at some point in the future is inevitable it's a cash cow ready to be milked just not right now.
DropTheDime69

Postby Red Gunner XI » 16 May 12 12:27 pm

Leave it alone! FFVII is my most fondest gaming memory and still my fav game of all time. If it was re-made it would get ruined. An HD overhall with upgraded CGI scenes would be nice. But don't change the game in ANY other way. What should be in Squares discussions is a sequel, keep the battle system the same tho and don't use anything from the shite that is FF13.
Red Gunner XI

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 16 May 12 12:42 pm

I remember reading about and watching trailers for Final Fantasy versus 13 when i was still at university...I graduated 2 summers ago and it still hasn't came out. I think this is a complete waste of time. Why spend all this time working on a game that I suspect not many people will be interested in after the pathetic 13 and 13-2. I personally think this time could have been spent refining FFVII for XBOX 360 AND PS3.
I think changing things if a remake ever does come along is only natural progression, instead of including updated renders of all of the pre rendered backdrops wouldn't fans much rather have beautiful fully 3D environments even at the cost of some content?
Johnbhoy69

Postby pauloselhombre » 16 May 12 12:43 pm

Well, as much as I'd like to see a remake, I would prefer to see them actually finish off the Compilation of FFVII. Through Advent Children, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus they built up this escalating story, with new elements tied in to the old, and then suddenly they just stopped. A new game (starring Cloud again, if they want to maximise their audience) that actually delivers on all the relatively epic stuff they've been building up to would be most welcome. A graphical update of the original, probably for 3DS in order to keep the production costs down (I would've said PSP, but it's unlikely that they would now that the Vita is out), would be great, but I'm not holding my breath at this point (although they've hinted that 'undisclosed Square-Enix franchise number VII' may well be announced for 3DS at E3 this year, but it'll probably be yet another bloody middle-of-the-road DragonQuest game).
pauloselhombre

Postby pauloselhombre » 16 May 12 12:45 pm

Johnbhoy69 wrote: I think changing things if a remake ever does come along is only natural progression, instead of including updated renders of all of the pre rendered backdrops wouldn't fans much rather have beautiful fully 3D environments even at the cost of some content?

Changing some things would be fine, but there's not a chance in hell that I would want better graphics at the expense of content. Crisis Core level graphics would be fine, but trading away content for the sake of shiny HD graphics is one of the big problems with modern game development and not something to be encouraged imo.
pauloselhombre

Postby msbhvn » 16 May 12 9:50 pm

STE MO wrote:How does that add up to 3 BD discs. When a single Blu Ray disc can hold 128GB?

128GB is the maximum for the BDXL specification, which the PS3 is incapable of reading, due to BDXL requiring a stronger laser to read the additional layers. PS3 discs have a maximum of 50GB, and most are single layer holding 25GB. FFVII came on three PS1 CD-ROMs, a maximum of just over 2GB of data, and presumably due to audio compression, the PSN version is down to around 1.37GB.

Please read the above in the voice of Professor Frink from the Simpsons, due to its excessively pedantic tone. :lol:
CAUTION: The above post may or may not contain sarcasm and/or hyperbole. Please submit any requests for clarification to the round file.
msbhvn

Postby STE MO » 16 May 12 11:49 pm

msbhvn wrote:
STE MO wrote:How does that add up to 3 BD discs. When a single Blu Ray disc can hold 128GB?

128GB is the maximum for the BDXL specification, which the PS3 is incapable of reading, due to BDXL requiring a stronger laser to read the additional layers. PS3 discs have a maximum of 50GB, and most are single layer holding 25GB. FFVII came on three PS1 CD-ROMs, a maximum of just over 2GB of data, and presumably due to audio compression, the PSN version is down to around 1.37GB.

Please read the above in the voice of Professor Frink from the Simpsons, due to its excessively pedantic tone. :lol:

I bow to your superior knowledge of media.
STE MO

Postby msbhvn » 17 May 12 1:24 am

STE MO wrote:I bow to your superior knowledge of media.

What baffles me about Blu-ray is that the extended editions of LotR got split over two discs again (how on Earth do you fill 50GB with less than two hours of video?), all the extras were in SD and they expected you to pay £70 for the privilege. Even now at £40, they're still taking the p***.

/rant

If that's how things are handled these days, maybe we're better off without a remake of FFVII.

/shameless attempt to justify my ranting with something on-topic. :lol:
CAUTION: The above post may or may not contain sarcasm and/or hyperbole. Please submit any requests for clarification to the round file.
msbhvn

Postby SidTheSloth » 17 May 12 11:10 am

For a long time i was one of those who wanted a remake, but more and more as i think about it i can't see the point. It would add very little to the experience apart from make it play better on modern consoles/TV's so without changing anything i can well understand Squares lack of enthusiasm for the project. Sure it'd sell loads but haters would hate as even though they'd be forewarned nothing had changed they'd realise on completion 'that's it' and deep down it's the same game, warts and all that they've already completed. If they did change anything they open the door to even greater criticism and that is a battle they'd never win.

I played FF9 recently on PSN and even though the boxed playing window was irritating it didn't really detract from the experience after the first 30 minutes and was still a great game. HD remakes may be nice but they're far from essential, i'd much rather they get back to making the new games as good as the old ones (difficult when a lot of the 'stars' have left the company)
Animal Planet: Meet the Sloths - showing that the ferocious furry little critters reek of awesome!
And I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer...!
SidTheSloth

Postby GrayDX » 17 May 12 2:55 pm

Considering the number of times SQUARE-ENIX has re-hashed and re-released Final Fantasy 1 through 6 for the hand held and PS1 markets with enhanced graphic, features and new FMV, I can't see what their reasoning is for wanting to avoid a new FF7 title like the plague?
It's highly unlikely but they could make every fanboys dream come true and take a leaf out of Konamis' book with the awesome metal gear solid HD collection and release FF7, 8 and 9 bundled together with a few minor gameplay tweaks new shiny HD graphics and animations.
In all honesty half the work has already been done for SQUARE-ENIX by one guy in his spare time with the Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth project http://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-7-rebirth, SQUARE-ENIX just needs to spare a few talented artists and job done!
It a shame but I think the only real chance us fans have of seeing a FF7 remake any time soon will be to boycott all future releases and hit them where it hurts, their bank account which to be fair wouldn't be too hard as in my opinion Final Fantasy 10 was the beginning of the end for the franchise and was only saved by the blitzball mini game.

If the guys at Japan HQ are so dead against a new FF7 game how about letting the guys at Eidos Montreal run with it as I can't be only person who saw the Final Fantasy XXVII posters plastered everywhere in brilliant Deus EX : HR?
GrayDX

Postby blackholes » 18 May 12 4:50 pm

Where I love Final Fantasy VII, people need to stop living in the past! Game series move forward, if companies spent all their time remaking older versions then they wouldn't be able to evolve as developers.You don't get your favourite band to re-record your favourite album!
blackholes