Sign on Options
Theme: [Light Selected] To Dark»
ForumsRole-Playing Games Discussion Forum › Suggest an introductory RPG turn-based g ...

Greetings Genre fans! You have entered a GameSpot game board dedicated to a specific genre.

- Follow the Terms of Use
- Conceal all plot spoilers or label discussion with spoiler alert.
- Discussions with the intent to disrupt the experience of the board will be considered a forum invasion.

Suggest an introductory RPG turn-based game for me?

Forum Actions
  • Level 24
    I Feel Asleep!!
    User is Online
    Oct 13, 2012 8:36 am GMT

Hi. Fallout 1 and 2 are about the [only] turn-based RPG games I ever played to the end, and several times too; they're two of my all-time favorite games, and I play a lot of genres. However, I tried one of the Final Fantasy ones many years ago, was really impressed with the visuals (yes, I'm one of the gamers who care about good graphics), but other than that, I could never really get into the game; perhaps because I found the turn-based options or menus too tedious for my own likes and taste. The things I really like in a game are: An interesting story, fun combat that is not too complicated nor require too much micro-management, and good visuals or graphicsprobably in this order.

Accordingly, can you suggest a turn-based RPG PC game for me that I may want to try and perhaps help me appreciate the turn-based genre a bit more? I am fine with the suggestion being one of the Final Fantasy games, and also totally fine with a suggestion of a Japanese game that has English subtitles. All I would need at this "introductory" stage is that the combat system and "menus" are as simple as possible. I understand that some people like to micro-manage, have endless options, and change even the bullet or arrow type and so on, but I'm not one of those gamers; I'd prefer to have fewer but still meaningful options that offer some variety and interesting combat strategies. And to give you an example, I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 perhaps a bit more that Dragon Age 1, and loved its combat, even if many others were calling it "dumbed down"; I also enjoyed Mass Effect 2 a lote more than ME1, in spite of what others complained about in terms of limited options and so on. In short, I do not play to micro-manage; I play for the story, for fun combat (and twists of strategy or smart choice or combos of spells can be appreciated), and good visuals.

I hope that some of my fellow gamers who are experienced in this genre can give me great suggestions based on the details I gave to clarify what I'm looking for. Many thanks for anyone taking the time to give suggestions.

"How we respond is who we are."--Nokia

Hi. Fallout 1 and 2 are about the [only] turn-based RPG games I ever played to the end, and several times too; they're two of my all-time favorite games, and I play a lot of genres. However, I tried one of the Final Fantasy ones many years ago, was really impressed with the visuals (yes, I'm one of the gamers who care about good graphics), but other than that, I could never really get into the game; perhaps because I found the turn-based options or menus too tedious for my own likes and taste. The things I really like in a game are: An interesting story, fun combat that is not too complicated nor require too much micro-management, and good visuals or graphicsprobably in this order.

Accordingly, can you suggest a turn-based RPG PC game for me that I may want to try and perhaps help me appreciate the turn-based genre a bit more? I am fine with the suggestion being one of the Final Fantasy games, and also totally fine with a suggestion of a Japanese game that has English subtitles. All I would need at this "introductory" stage is that the combat system and "menus" are as simple as possible. I understand that some people like to micro-manage, have endless options, and change even the bullet or arrow type and so on, but I'm not one of those gamers; I'd prefer to have fewer but still meaningful options that offer some variety and interesting combat strategies. And to give you an example, I enjoyed Dragon Age 2 perhaps a bit more that Dragon Age 1, and loved its combat, even if many others were calling it "dumbed down"; I also enjoyed Mass Effect 2 a lote more than ME1, in spite of what others complained about in terms of limited options and so on. In short, I do not play to micro-manage; I play for the story, for fun combat (and twists of strategy or smart choice or combos of spells can be appreciated), and good visuals.

I hope that some of my fellow gamers who are experienced in this genre can give me great suggestions based on the details I gave to clarify what I'm looking for. Many thanks for anyone taking the time to give suggestions.

• Level 12
    Rad Racer
    Oct 13, 2012 1:51 pm GMT

Chrono Trigger is simply one of the best turn based RPGs period. It is very japanese-y, but that is expected for a Square-Enix game. The combat is relatively easy and the story is one of the best I've experienced in RPGs.

A more complicated, but rewarding turn based RPG would be Final Fantasy Tactics. It is more strategic than other games (similar to Tactics Ogre), but well worth checking out.

Breath of Fire 3, Xenogears, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Earthbound...so many good ones.

Chrono Trigger is simply one of the best turn based RPGs period. It is very japanese-y, but that is expected for a Square-Enix game. The combat is relatively easy and the story is one of the best I've experienced in RPGs.

A more complicated, but rewarding turn based RPG would be Final Fantasy Tactics. It is more strategic than other games (similar to Tactics Ogre), but well worth checking out.

Breath of Fire 3, Xenogears, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Earthbound...so many good ones.

Forum Actions
ForumsRole-Playing Games Discussion Forum › Suggest an introductory RPG turn-based g ...