ForumsRole-Playing Games Discussion Forum › Looking for games similar to Dragon Age ...

Greetings Genre fans! You have entered a GameSpot game board dedicated to a specific genre.

- Follow the Terms of Use
- Conceal all plot spoilers or label discussion with spoiler alert.
- Discussions with the intent to disrupt the experience of the board will be considered a forum invasion.

Looking for games similar to Dragon Age Origins

Forum Actions
  • Level 7
    Sectoid
    May 14, 2012 4:58 pm GMT
    I just finished Dragon Age and while I do not consider myself as a heavy gamer, and I
    didn't play many games recently, I was very impressed by this game. The key feature that was missing in the other games I played and was in this game is the ability to control multiple characters. This adds so much to the game and makes it into a tactical RTS game instead of the boring hack and slash games that I played recently.
    I'm looking for a similar tactical RPG which allows you to control multiple characters,
    I know that Witcher 2 and Skyrim are now considered to be the best RPG games in
    the market but from what I saw on YouTube these are hack and slash games and do
    not require strategic thinking.
    Any recommendations for tactical RPG like Dragon Age? Thanks in advance.
    I just finished Dragon Age and while I do not consider myself as a heavy gamer, and I didn't play many games recently, I was very impressed by this game. The key feature that was missing in the other games I played and was in this game is the ability to control multiple characters. This adds so much to the game and makes it into a tactical RTS game instead of the boring hack and slash games that I played recently. I'm looking for a similar tactical RPG which allows you to control multiple characters, I know that Witcher 2 and Skyrim are now considered to be the best RPG games in the market but from what I saw on YouTube these are hack and slash games and do not require strategic thinking. Any recommendations for tactical RPG like Dragon Age? Thanks in advance.
  • Level 7
    Sectoid
    May 14, 2012 8:11 pm GMT
    Hmm, it depends on what you're looking for. If it's just an SRPG in general, I guess you can try games like Record of Agarest War. As for any RTS RPGs... I sadly do not know any other than the DA series.
    Hmm, it depends on what you're looking for. If it's just an SRPG in general, I guess you can try games like Record of Agarest War. As for any RTS RPGs... I sadly do not know any other than the DA series.
  • Level 22
    Blaster Master
    May 15, 2012 2:05 am GMT

You must be new to the games industry (correct me if I'm wrong), though FYI..Dragon Age on its own is based on many OTHER Real time Tactical RPGs...

As for what you're looking for...I GREATLY suggest Neverwinter Nights (1 or 2). Its FAR more complicated than Dragon Age...its got GREAT customization options...

There's also a lot more mods in form of expansion packs and stuff...

You must be new to the games industry (correct me if I'm wrong), though FYI..Dragon Age on its own is based on many OTHER Real time Tactical RPGs...

As for what you're looking for...I GREATLY suggest Neverwinter Nights (1 or 2). Its FAR more complicated than Dragon Age...its got GREAT customization options...

There's also a lot more mods in form of expansion packs and stuff...

• Level 1
    Player
    May 15, 2012 3:54 am GMT
    DA:O is a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate so that and it's sequel are good place to start, if you can get over how old it is. NWN too as mentioned above, Icewind Dale is good too, basicly Baldur's Gate with less story and more dungeons. Sadly Dragon Age 2 didn't seem to want to be a sequel to the previous game, so bioware/Black Isles older 2D isometric games are all we have.
    DA:O is a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate so that and it's sequel are good place to start, if you can get over how old it is. NWN too as mentioned above, Icewind Dale is good too, basicly Baldur's Gate with less story and more dungeons. Sadly Dragon Age 2 didn't seem to want to be a sequel to the previous game, so bioware/Black Isles older 2D isometric games are all we have.
  • Level 7
    Sectoid
    May 15, 2012 4:27 pm GMT
    Well from what I saw on YouTube Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 seem to be the kind of games I'm looking for. But I read people recommending Neverwinter Nights 1 while saying that the sequel no.2 was a let down.
    This puts me in a dilemma since Neverwinter Nights 2 is available on
    Steam but the first one isn't. Is there really a big difference between them?
    Well from what I saw on YouTube Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 seem to be the kind of games I'm looking for. But I read people recommending Neverwinter Nights 1 while saying that the sequel no.2 was a let down. This puts me in a dilemma since Neverwinter Nights 2 is available on Steam but the first one isn't. Is there really a big difference between them?
  • Level 20
    Metal Slime
    User is Online
    May 16, 2012 8:02 am GMT

if you like starwars then you'll love knights of the old republic 1 and 2!

if you like starwars then you'll love knights of the old republic 1 and 2!

• Level 4
    Paper Boy
    May 16, 2012 12:58 pm GMT
    Well, it's hard to say but I enjoy playing games like Witcher and Skyrim, and there are some games that maybe you would like: Risen, Oblivion, LotR: War in the North, Mass Effect, Fable 3, Fallout 3.
    NVIDIA
    Well, it's hard to say but I enjoy playing games like Witcher and Skyrim, and there are some games that maybe you would like: Risen, Oblivion, LotR: War in the North, Mass Effect, Fable 3, Fallout 3.
  • Level 7
    Sectoid
    May 16, 2012 1:46 pm GMT
    Fable 3, really? This is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. The combat
    system in this game just requires you to click the left mouse button, not a single
    strategy is needed in order to defeat enemies. If you watched Angry Joe Show of this game you know what I'm talking about. Never mind I think I will go with NeverWinter 2, seems what I was looking for. Thanks guys.
    Fable 3, really? This is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. The combat system in this game just requires you to click the left mouse button, not a single strategy is needed in order to defeat enemies. If you watched Angry Joe Show of this game you know what I'm talking about. Never mind I think I will go with NeverWinter 2, seems what I was looking for. Thanks guys.
  • Level 10
    Phoenix Down
    May 16, 2012 2:29 pm GMT

I know that this is stating the obvious, but have you played Skyrim yet? If not, I would recommend it. Other than that, Fallout 3 or New Vegas maybe

I know that this is stating the obvious, but have you played Skyrim yet? If not, I would recommend it. Other than that, Fallout 3 or New Vegas maybe ;)

• Level 22
    Blaster Master
    May 17, 2012 6:09 am GMT
    lkjghhrkj wrote:
    Fable 3, really? This is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. The combat
    system in this game just requires you to click the left mouse button, not a single
    strategy is needed in order to defeat enemies. If you watched Angry Joe Show of this game you know what I'm talking about. Never mind I think I will go with NeverWinter 2, seems what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Well, there's Mask of the Betrayer...a campaign with a more compelling storyline than the original campaign...

Oh....and you can also load created characters to custom campaigns.
    [QUOTE="lkjghhrkj"]Fable 3, really? This is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. The combat system in this game just requires you to click the left mouse button, not a single strategy is needed in order to defeat enemies. If you watched Angry Joe Show of this game you know what I'm talking about. Never mind I think I will go with NeverWinter 2, seems what I was looking for. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE] Well, there's Mask of the Betrayer...a campaign with a more compelling storyline than the original campaign... Oh....and you can also load created characters to custom campaigns.
  • Level 9
    Ikari Warrior
    May 28, 2012 3:09 pm GMT
    Mass effect series! Also from bioware. I find it has many similarities apart from the obvious sci fi setting
    Edited on May 28, 2012 3:10 pm GMT

---

"War. War Never Changes.." - Fallout

Mass effect series! Also from bioware. I find it has many similarities apart from the obvious sci fi setting :)
  • Level 13
    Toobin'
    May 29, 2012 12:08 pm GMT

Pretty much anything by Bioware:

Mass Effect 1, 2, 3.

Knights of the Old Republic 1, 2

NWN 1, 2 (+ expansions)

Buldar's Gate 1, 2 (+ expansions)

and last but not least:

Dragon Age II (It is a lot more restrictive, combat is more streamlined, but the story is still great. Plus your actions in DA:O have an effect on the storyline in DA2).

Pretty much anything by Bioware:

Mass Effect 1, 2, 3.

Knights of the Old Republic 1, 2

NWN 1, 2 (+ expansions)

Buldar's Gate 1, 2 (+ expansions)

and last but not least:

Dragon Age II (It is a lot more restrictive, combat is more streamlined, but the story is still great. Plus your actions in DA:O have an effect on the storyline in DA2).

• Level 7
    Sectoid
    May 29, 2012 1:09 pm GMT

I played Mass Effect long time ago and I gave up some where in

the beginning of the game. I didn't find it interesting, it is more like

a shooter (altought as I remember you can costomise your characters)

and does not allow you to control your allies. Or is it? Maybe some one

can refresh my memory...

Button line, I remember Mass Effect as a shooter (I still have the disc

some where in my shelf).

I played Mass Effect long time ago and I gave up some where in

the beginning of the game. I didn't find it interesting, it is more like

a shooter (altought as I remember you can costomise your characters)

and does not allow you to control your allies. Or is it? Maybe some one

can refresh my memory...

Button line, I remember Mass Effect as a shooter (I still have the disc

some where in my shelf).

• Level 14
    Ring King
    User is Online
    May 30, 2012 2:40 am GMT

Ummmmm... Drakensang, anyone?

Try Drakensang: The Dark Eye and Drakensang: The River of Time. I think you'll like it, it reminds me of the original epic fantasy tales, books, movies and games... Just give it a try

Ummmmm... Drakensang, anyone?

Try Drakensang: The Dark Eye and Drakensang: The River of Time. I think you'll like it, it reminds me of the original epic fantasy tales, books, movies and games... Just give it a try :)

• Level 6
    The Super Spy
    Jul 10, 2012 1:19 am GMT

Neverwinter Nights 1 is more enjoyable and story driven than NWN2. NWN2 is graphically more advanced, however both of them have tons of mods and many of them are even better than the oiginal titles. The old Deus Ex games have some tactical elements . The Drakensang series are a bit tough and gets repetitive after some time.

By the way, if you want strategic element in RPG, Baldur's Gate games are the best, though they are in isometric style. The pause feature in them allows the player to make plans beforehand any tough encounter.

Neverwinter Nights 1 is more enjoyable and story driven than NWN2. NWN2 is graphically more advanced, however both of them have tons of mods and many of them are even better than the oiginal titles. The old Deus Ex games have some tactical elements . The Drakensang series are a bit tough and gets repetitive after some time.

By the way, if you want strategic element in RPG, Baldur's Gate games are the best, though they are in isometric style. The pause feature in them allows the player to make plans beforehand any tough encounter.

• Level 8
    Quad Damage
    User is Online
    Sep 14, 2012 6:33 pm GMT
    Like many said, nwn is quite good, there is a dragon age sequel but it is not nearly as epic, read my review on it if you like to know more about it. There aren't that many new games that are that much alike to DAO, most are old like baldur's gate. You should probably just get the expansion, Awakening.
    Like many said, nwn is quite good, there is a dragon age sequel but it is not nearly as epic, read my review on it if you like to know more about it. There aren't that many new games that are that much alike to DAO, most are old like baldur's gate. You should probably just get the expansion, Awakening.
  • Level 7
    Sectoid
    Sep 15, 2012 12:31 pm GMT

I tried some of the games that were suggested here and I had fun

with each of them. But still I want to give my impressions on

these games so I will list them here from top to bottom according

to how much fun I have with each.

Kotor : Fantastic game with great story and characters. The combat

is not as challenging as in Dragon Age and can be very easy even

on hard mode, but it still fun. I like this game as much as I liked

Dragon Age.

NWN2 : This was the most similar game to Dragon Age that I tried.

I liked the characters (especially Qara and Casivir) but I felt that

the story was flat and uninspired. The combat system is more deep

and complex than in Dragon Age, but still I felt that the game was

very easy (I played on normal), much more easy than Dragon Age.

The most irritating thing about this game, like almost every game

that is being made by Obsidian, is the bugs. I can't defeat the last

boss because of a bug. Despite all of these cons I still had a great time

with it.

Mass Effect : I have mixed feelings about this game. It has a great story

and characters, and it is very polished. But I can't embrace it as much

as Dragon Age or Kotor because it doesn't have the tactical combat of

these games. I didn't feel during the whole game that my teammates

were important because I didn't have direct control on them.Overall this

game feels more like a console video game rather than a pc,I guess that

Bioware aimed this game primarily to console gamers somaking this

game with tactical combat will be extremely hard to implement on a gamepad.

Icewind Dale II : This game has the best combat system in my opinion compare

to all the other games I played and the it is very challenging. Unfortunately

until now this is the only positive thing I can say about this game, the story is very

linear and the gameplay itself is linear. The characters have no personality (you create

them after all), so because I can't get into the story the game becomes more and more

repetitive and the combat is the only thing that saves the game for me right now. But I

only finished half of the game so maybe the story it is getting better later.

I tried some of the games that were suggested here and I had fun

with each of them. But still I want to give my impressions on

these games so I will list them here from top to bottom according

to how much fun I have with each.

Kotor : Fantastic game with great story and characters. The combat

is not as challenging as in Dragon Age and can be very easy even

on hard mode, but it still fun. I like this game as much as I liked

Dragon Age.

NWN2 : This was the most similar game to Dragon Age that I tried.

I liked the characters (especially Qara and Casivir) but I felt that

the story was flat and uninspired. The combat system is more deep

and complex than in Dragon Age, but still I felt that the game was

very easy (I played on normal), much more easy than Dragon Age.

The most irritating thing about this game, like almost every game

that is being made by Obsidian, is the bugs. I can't defeat the last

boss because of a bug. Despite all of these cons I still had a great time

with it.

Mass Effect : I have mixed feelings about this game. It has a great story

and characters, and it is very polished. But I can't embrace it as much

as Dragon Age or Kotor because it doesn't have the tactical combat of

these games. I didn't feel during the whole game that my teammates

were important because I didn't have direct control on them.Overall this

game feels more like a console video game rather than a pc,I guess that

Bioware aimed this game primarily to console gamers somaking this

game with tactical combat will be extremely hard to implement on a gamepad.

Icewind Dale II : This game has the best combat system in my opinion compare

to all the other games I played and the it is very challenging. Unfortunately

until now this is the only positive thing I can say about this game, the story is very

linear and the gameplay itself is linear. The characters have no personality (you create

them after all), so because I can't get into the story the game becomes more and more

repetitive and the combat is the only thing that saves the game for me right now. But I

only finished half of the game so maybe the story it is getting better later.

• Level 7
    Sectoid
    Sep 15, 2012 11:05 pm GMT
    If you're looking for great party interaction, I'd suggest that you play NWN 2 instead of NWN 1. NWN 1 lacks in-depth character interaction, and your "party' is limited to one henchman who lacks any driving story. NWN 1 is -not- story driven and plays more like an action RPG, imo. The character interaction and depth of NWN 2 absolutely eclipses NWN 1.

In order of quality, I suggest the following titles:

(1) Baldur's Gate II (possibly the best RPG, ever);
    (2) Knights of the Old Republic;
    (3) Planescape: Torment
    (4) Neverwinter Nights 2;
    (5) Knights of the Old Republic II.

Again, Baldur's Gate II stands out among the crowd as a true gem and landmark RPG that has still not been surpassed to date.
    If you're looking for great party interaction, I'd suggest that you play NWN 2 instead of NWN 1. NWN 1 lacks in-depth character interaction, and your "party' is limited to one henchman who lacks any driving story. NWN 1 is -not- story driven and plays more like an action RPG, imo. The character interaction and depth of NWN 2 absolutely eclipses NWN 1. In order of quality, I suggest the following titles: (1) Baldur's Gate II (possibly the best RPG, ever); (2) Knights of the Old Republic; (3) Planescape: Torment (4) Neverwinter Nights 2; (5) Knights of the Old Republic II. Again, Baldur's Gate II stands out among the crowd as a true gem and landmark RPG that has still not been surpassed to date.
Forum Actions
ForumsRole-Playing Games Discussion Forum › Looking for games similar to Dragon Age ...