XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 2

• Page

of 31 First / Last

• Khab 5 Jan 2012 17:57:50 6,574 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If there's one big-name, AAA studio with the capability of pulling this off, I suppose it'd have to be the house of Sid.

It just seems... too good to be true.

Must... remain... cautious or have heart broken.
  • 4gate 5 Jan 2012 18:04:13 164 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Not having anything else to play it on at the time, I played the Playstation version of XCom, and although using the controller was very clunky and the saves for 3 level ships took about 4 days to load, it was excellent, remarkably close to the PC version I have played since. XCom on console perfectly possible.

Hope they can get the Gollops involved to some degree. And LSN style bouncing grenades. Dream on I know.

Can't wait.

Edited by 4gate at 18:06:23 05-01-2012
  • Bigangryshoe 5 Jan 2012 18:09:23 1 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    4gate wrote:
    Not having anything else to play it on at the time, I played the Playstation version of XCom, and although using the controller was very clunky and the saves for 3 level ships took about 4 days to load, it was excellent, remarkably close to the PC version I have played since. XCom on console perfectly possible.

Can't wait.
    But it was made for the PC then ported over. What is this game going to be like? A XBOX game that gets a shoddy PC port? Will we ever see rookies miss a shot so badly they blow the brains out of your highest ranking soldier, or is that sort of thing going to be removed because it'd annoy console babies raised on a diet of Call of Duty?
  • HoriZon 5 Jan 2012 18:12:11 13,109 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just want the original on the iPhone ta.

Everybody has secrets, life would be boring without secrets, don't you think...?

• Porco 5 Jan 2012 18:15:41 604 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good news indeed.
    Would love a handheld version though, and I hope they are as faithful as possible to the original.
  • agparrot Moderator 5 Jan 2012 18:43:01 11,119 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    agparrot wrote:
    Also, we should still be able to separate the main part of our base from the hangars via a single 'lift' tile so that we can contain base invasions easily.
    That last part you could already do by building your hangar above the lift, general stores below and then (ten days later) everything around the GS. Aliens only ever come in through the hangar and lift, so there's your bottleneck right there.
    Absolutely, all my base were built this way in the original game, I just hope that there is an equivalent possibility in this remake.

My brief go on the original game this afternoon didn't start well - Ethereals absolutely devastated my elite squad of flying-armour high ranking soldiers, and it was left to a squaddie and a rookie, the only two surviving members of an eight man squad, to save the day. They both came home wounded, and the overall mission score was -8, but it felt like a victory.

The subsequent replacement soldiers actually fared better when they set down next to a landed, Very Large Snakemen and Chrysalid ship, losing only one compadre in a game that I played much more carefully. It's only on Veteran difficulty, but it's still quite challenging, and an absolute joy to play.

I need to capture a psychic alien, as that research tree hasn't opened up for me yet.

Roll on Autumn. Perhaps they've missed a trick by not just making this an XBLA/PSN/Steam downloadable version of the original with a version for phones, too.
  • SuperBas 5 Jan 2012 18:50:05 1,237 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I pray for fully destructable environments.
  • orpheus 5 Jan 2012 18:51:20 476 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good news I suppose but I can't help but feel bad for the Xenonauts devs.
  • SuperBas 5 Jan 2012 18:54:02 1,237 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Good news I suppose but I can't help but feel bad for the Xenonauts devs.
    Progress on that is going so incredibly slow, they should have worked harder faster better stronger if they wanted our money.
  • Popzeus 5 Jan 2012 19:04:53 8,801 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :o

WANT
  • Bremenacht 5 Jan 2012 19:09:45 8,327 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    I pray for fully destructable environments.
    Oh gosh! Yes! Imagine flattening the map with those guided missiles. Joy.
  • Bremenacht 5 Jan 2012 19:12:07 8,327 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Porco wrote:
    Good news indeed.
    Would love a handheld version though, and I hope they are as faithful as possible to the original.
    You can get a Laser Squad type game on DS, made by a Gollop. I didn't get into it though. You can also get an XCOM that'll run on Windows Mobile, if anyone still has a WM device.

I'd very much like to see a version of Laser Squad or Rebelstar on XBLA or PSN. Frozen Synapse doesn't quite appeal.
  • the_dudefather 5 Jan 2012 19:12:25 7,524 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'The huge feature in February's Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat, how the XCOM organization improves its capabilities as the war rages on, and much more.'

yumyum

Gears of War is basically Streets of Rage but with guns, think about it!

• Aargh. 5 Jan 2012 19:18:28 9,822 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games
    So that's what he's doing these days.
  • THFourteen 5 Jan 2012 19:18:43 26,246 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WOAH

i ignored this thread thinking it was related to the shooter game coming out, and then just read the article on the front page

this could be awesome

also looking forward to jagged alliance remake very shortly
  • Porco 5 Jan 2012 19:22:02 604 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Porco wrote:
    Good news indeed.
    You can get a Laser Squad type game on DS, made by a Gollop.
    You mean Rebelstar Tactical Command for the GBA, or is there another DS game?
  • Popzeus 5 Jan 2012 19:26:15 8,801 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think he means Ghost Recon on 3DS.
  • meme 5 Jan 2012 19:29:52 14,054 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I hope that the cheatin bastard AI routines of Civ aren't ported over.
    Gandhalien nukes first.
  • meme 5 Jan 2012 19:34:11 14,054 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And I always preferred Terror From The Deep. But I'm weird like that. I also preferred Colonization over Civ, which is why I was so fucked off when they put out a half-arsed Civ 4 mod as a modern remake.
  • FarFromSane 5 Jan 2012 19:40:28 159 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woooooohooooo

Please be good.

Somewhere out there, a neurotic chicken wants to cross the road but is paralyzed by the knowledge that everyone will question his motives

• the_dudefather 5 Jan 2012 19:46:36 7,524 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And if you fancy trying one of the old games, Steam has them on sale today for £3.05!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

Gears of War is basically Streets of Rage but with guns, think about it!

• Porco 5 Jan 2012 20:02:54 604 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    I think he means Ghost Recon on 3DS.
    Oh right yeah, I need to get a 3DS
  • Bremenacht 5 Jan 2012 20:04:09 8,327 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Porco wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Porco wrote:
    Good news indeed.
    You can get a Laser Squad type game on DS, made by a Gollop.
    You mean Rebelstar Tactical Command for the GBA
    Sorry yeah, that one.
  • Khanivor 5 Jan 2012 20:48:26 37,378 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Steve Martin, president of Firaxis Games
    So that's what he's doing these days.
    /looks forward to dueling banjos minigame
  • oceanmotion 5 Jan 2012 22:32:56 11,962 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How strange. One team making a FPS and another, like the original. The sales are going to be amusing if they both make release.
  • figgis 6 Jan 2012 10:26:20 7,329 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How did I miss this thread yesterday!

This is great news!
  • Madder-Max 6 Jan 2012 10:36:58 10,577 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucking hell this is a bit desperate isn't it? two companies in a pile-on on one IP?

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Whizzo 6 Jan 2012 10:46:42 39,618 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm just surprised Take 2 took so long to confirm the strategy game was happening considering the flak they were taking for turning a classic strategy game into an FPS that bore little resemblance to the originals.

This space left intentionally blank.

• shamblemonkee 6 Jan 2012 10:54:07 12,625 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    *hyperventilates* ohmigodohmigodohmigodohmigod!

heh, actually i can't profess to having played the original massively, in fact my main memory of it is that i got about five hexagons from my ship or whereever you start and then got obliterated by stuff.

my next memory is of a baffling interface full of interesting things research but not much of a clue how it all fit together.

despite that somehow i'm really excited to see this is in production :)
  • w00t 6 Jan 2012 11:03:08 11,624 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TURN-BASED OR GTFO

If you can see this, you're an idiot.

• Page

of 31 First / Last