TurboTax Online Deluxe 2011

CNET Editors' review

For the past several years, TurboTax has impressed us with its clear language and simple step-by-step tax prep, and Intuit's offering for the 2011 tax year is no exception. Whether you're an experienced taxpayer or you're fairly new to the system, TurboTax can help you file.

The first thing I should point out is that TurboTax comes in four versions--Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business--each of which offers both an online prep option or a software download. All of the online apps let you start a single e-file for free, while the downloads cost a bit more but come bundled with more than one e-file.

Features and interface
By far the best thing about TurboTax 2011 is its simplicity. From its cleaner interface and more-straightforward language to its addition of a new unemployment section, TurboTax has clearly incorporated user feedback in its design.

If you're new to the program, the first thing you'll notice is that TurboTax doesn't let you interact with the actual tax form--which is good. Rather, it poses questions in plain user-friendly language, then, it populates the proper forms for you, behind the scenes. And if there are any redundant questions between the federal and state forms, TurboTax will automatically duplicate your answers appropriately. This way, no one gets confused by the hypertechnical IRS jargon that's typically found on these forms.

To further minimize human error, TurboTax lets you import your W-2 and 1099 forms directly from your employer or payroll provider, so you don't have to input your wages by hand. It can also grab investment information from banks like Charles Schwab as well as programs like Quickbooks and Mint.com. While other tax software suites also import financial information, the sheer number of institutions supported by TurboTax is certainly impressive.

While TurboTax's interface is just as clean as ever, one noteworthy addition is its new refund monitor, which sits at the top of the screen and keeps a running count of both your federal and state tax refunds. As you answer your interview questions, the figures change, and, of course, the more deductions you list, the higher the figures can potentially move. While I won't say it made doing my taxes "fun," I will say it made me want to plow through my interview questions quickly and accurately.

As for deciding among TurboTax's various levels of tax prep, there are a few features to consider. While the free or Basic version is more than suitable for people with one form of income, minimal investments, and a few interest write-offs, those with more-complicated filing needs may need to upgrade. For instance, the Deluxe version is a better option for those who experienced major life changes (buying a home, getting married, changing jobs) over the past year, since it includes extra tools and functionality for maximizing related deductions. Likewise, Premier is the version to go with if you have a rental property or a wide variety of investments, and Home & Business will provide extra guidance for those who are self-employed.

Help and support
One thing I particularly love about TurboTax is its Help Center, which always sits conveniently on the right side of the screen. More than your typical search-based Help Centers, TurboTax's offers an FAQ as well as access to TurboTax's live community of users, many of whom have probably asked or answered questions similar to yours. On top of that, TurboTax now offers live tax advice from experts for free. This is a big change from previous versions, which charged extra fees for live professional help, on top of the price of the program. What's more, live expert hours have been extended to between 5 a.m and 9 p.m. PT, seven days a week.

Finally, TurboTax even conducts an audit risk analysis before you file, in case any sections of your form raise red flags.

Bottom line
With only one included federal e-file (five for the download version) and an additional fee for state filing, TurboTax certainly isn't the cheapest tax software out there. However, it does offer the most clearly worded interview and the most comprehensive help and support of all the options I've seen. Plus, you can actually go through the entire Web-based version for free, and pay only if you decide to follow through and file. Overall, I highly recommend TurboTax to all users, especially those who feel less than comfortable with the tax-filing process.

A note on online versus desktop prep: While there's no rule, we tend to think of online tax prep as ideal for those filing individually--it's sometimes less pricey for singletons, and stores your encrypted return on the provider's server. Linux users may also prefer online prep, since most makers of tax software don't program downloads for the Linux platform. Desktop prep may be better suited for families, who can file up to five federal e-files as part of a single software license, or for those who would rather store their data locally on their computers.

Publisher's Description

All User Reviews

Results 1-2 of 2

• 5.0 stars

"flexible to use"

January 20, 2011  |   By deepika31

Version: TurboTax Online Deluxe 2011 1.0

Pros

tax software is very flexible to use and provides user comfortable with

Cons

flexible to use

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (0)

• 2.0 stars

"Big step down from Turbo Tax"

April 10, 2010  |   By 51alien

Version: TurboTax Online Deluxe 2011

Pros

It is inexpensive and fast.

Cons

It is inot intuitive nor very helpful. My return is not basic, but not highly complex either. The Q&A did not address some of my needs, I was unable to find the help I needed. When I realized I was going to have to contact them via phone, I gave up.

Summary

It is back to good old Turbo Tax for me. This might work if your filing is very basic and you have no questions. The extra 30 bucks or so for Turbo is well worth it to me,

Updated on Apr 10, 2010

Oops! I thought i was reviewing Tax Act. I put this in the wrong place. I love Turbo Tax, but wish it was a little cheaper.

Reply to this review

Was this review helpful? (0) (1)

Add Your Review

or Log in or create an account to post a review.
You are logged in as . Please submit your review for TurboTax Online Deluxe 2011 1.0
Add Your Review

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our site terms of use.

Submit your reply

Submit

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our site terms of use.

cancel

E-mail this review

Submit cancel

Report offensive content

If you believe this comment is offensive or violates the CNET's Site Terms of Use, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the comment). Once reported, our staff will be notified and the comment will be reviewed.

Select type of offense:

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language
Spam: Advertisements or commercial links
Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users
Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content
Submit cancel

Previous Versions:

Error

close

ERROR MESSAGE

If you think this is an error, please contact CNET TechTracker Support for further assistance.

Ok

Running Request

close

Smart Install Software

close

CNET TechTracker will now automatically install software without requiring further action by you. (Note: This feature automatically accepts associated EULAs and third party applications on your behalf.)

You have selected the following software to Smart Install:

CNET TechTracker will attempt to install this software without interrupting you again. If an application requires manual installation, CNET TechTracker will download the installer and prompt you to take further action.

Proceed with Smart Install?

Confirm Standard Install Cancel

Submit a problem report for TurboTax Online Deluxe 2011

close

Please describe the problem you have with this software. This information will be sent to our editors for review.

Problem:

The CNET Installer isn't working as expected

The download link does not work

The software has a newer version

The software contains malware

Other

Description:

Please select a feedback type.

Please enter a description.

Submit Problem Report

Problem Report submitted

close

Thank you for submitting a problem report! The Download team is committed to providing you with accurate software information.

OK

This download is served from an external site

close

NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.

Continue to download Continue to download

Sponsored Products

TurboTax Online Deluxe 2011