Harry:

By Dragon God (Jan 11, 2006)

>Harry:

By Enigma (Jan 12, 2006)

>So, let me get this straight

By Smeg (Jan 12, 2006)

>So, let me get this straight

By Jon Turner (Jan 12, 2006)

Just about everyone else has made excellent points about the synthesis on games, so I won't offer my views here.

However, I will say that when I say those two quotes, I became rather cantankerous. Not just for the fact that they seemed degrading to game music as a whole, but they were attacking some folks' synth programming choices as if they plagued the soundtracks. I haven't heard KINGDOM HEARTS II, but I will say that, as someone who listened to VAGRANT STORY, I didn't find it to be all that bad. Some composers are better than others, yes, but I doubt that those two guys mentioned are anywhere near bottom-barrel, and if they were, I find such attacks unnecessary. It's their style, and ultimately, it's the quality of the music that counts... to me, that is.

-Jon T.

By Wanderer (Jan 12, 2006)

>Just about everyone else has made excellent points about the synthesis on games, so I won't offer my views here.
>
>However, I will say that when I say those two quotes, I became rather cantankerous. Not just for the fact that they seemed degrading to game music as a whole, but they were attacking some folks' synth programming choices as if they plagued the soundtracks. I haven't heard KINGDOM HEARTS II, but I will say that, as someone who listened to VAGRANT STORY, I didn't find it to be all that bad. Some composers are better than others, yes, but I doubt that those two guys mentioned are anywhere near bottom-barrel, and if they were, I find such attacks unnecessary. It's their style, and ultimately, it's the quality of the music that counts... to me, that is.
>
>-Jon T.

I think Vagrant Story has some of the best synth I've heard. That being said, I'm getting pretty tired of synth in general, especially when it's clearly being used as a substitute for real orchestral instruments. Synth doesn't give the music a chance to breathe. It's very mechanical.

By Qui-Gon Joe (Jan 12, 2006)

But you're a Nintendo fan...

...and those of us who are Nintendo fans are quite used to dealing with absolutely atrocious synth, so anything else sounds good by comparison! :D

By Kenny (Jan 12, 2006)

>...and those of us who are Nintendo fans are quite used to dealing with absolutely atrocious synth, so anything else sounds good by comparison! :D

LOL!!! A'int that the truth!

By Enigma (Jan 13, 2006)

>However, I will say that when I say those two quotes, I became rather cantankerous. Not just for the fact that they seemed degrading to game music as a whole, but they were attacking some folks' synth programming choices as if they plagued the soundtracks.

Somehow I feel like you're referring to me, so I probably should say something. All I mean is the synth programming isn't NEARLY as good as it was in the first Kingdom Hearts, which sounded perfect to me. Square Enix put so much time and effort in the game otherwise, it would only have been fair to make the goddamn synth programming top notch too.

But, after the first shock reaction, it doesn't sound SO bad anymore.. but I still can't listen to Scherzo Di Notte.

>Some composers are better than others, yes, but I doubt that those two guys mentioned are anywhere near bottom-barrel, and if they were, I find such attacks unnecessary. It's their style, and ultimately, it's the quality of the music that counts... to me, that is.

I didn't bark at Shimomura but Ishimoto, and the quality is the issue here.. :P