Game Music Forum Archive

Game music concert in Stockholm!

By Johan K (Dec 23, 2005)

PLAY! A Video Game Symphony is coming to Stockholm, Sweden! The 14th of June next year will be a big day. Read more at www.play-symphony.com.

By Smeg (Dec 23, 2005)

>PLAY! A Video Game Symphony is coming to Stockholm, Sweden! The 14th of June next year will be a big day. Read more at www.play-symphony.com.

That's cool, but these things never have programs I find interesting. I guess it's just a symptom of the industry - there's much less appealing music being created for games these days. What's so exciting about hearing an orchestra perform VGM that was composed for orchestra in the first place? I'd much rather hear some deft arrangements of disparate styles. I am curious to know what music they'll be using from Sonic.

By Jeremy (Dec 23, 2005)

> That's cool, but these things never have
> programs I find interesting.

hhhhhhmmmm. such as? :)

> I guess it's just a symptom of the industry -
> there's much less appealing music being
> create for games these days. What's so
> exciting about hearing an orchestra perform
> VGM that was composed for orchestra in the
> first place?

dunno know. but in my book silent hill, battlefield, morrowind, sonic, world of warcraft, metal gear solid etc. were not composed for the orchestra in the first place?

ok, some were sampler based, but live orchestra is different anyway. not that i want to convince you to change your mind, i am just curious what you want to say. :)

jeremy

By Smeg (Dec 23, 2005)

>> That's cool, but these things never have
>> programs I find interesting.
>
>hhhhhhmmmm. such as? :)

I'm referring to the orchestral VGM concerts that have been put on in recent years. The music selection for these shows is boring to me.

>> I guess it's just a symptom of the industry -
>> there's much less appealing music being
>> create for games these days. What's so
>> exciting about hearing an orchestra perform
>> VGM that was composed for orchestra in the
>> first place?
>
>dunno know. but in my book silent hill, battlefield, morrowind, sonic, world of warcraft, metal gear solid etc. were not composed for the orchestra in the first place?
>
>ok, some were sampler based, but live orchestra is different anyway. not that i want to convince you to change your mind, i am just curious what you want to say. :)
>
>jeremy

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but music for games such as Warcraft and Morrorwind doesn't get me excited. Modern VGM is just an extension of the film scoring world, with boring "mood music" that lacks strong motives. The only game listed that I could hum a melody from is Sonic. Of course there are exceptions to a sweeping generalization like that, but they're just that: exceptions.

As for sequential vs. live orchestration, the composition remains the same. I want to hear creative reinterpretations. When I go to concerts, I go to hear bands with strong improvisational and arranging skills. I'm not interested in buying a ticket to hear music the way it is on record, and that extends to this sort of event as well. That's why I mention that the Sonic music interests me - clearly *that* is going to have to be reimagined quite a bit to fit the format. It may work well or it may turn out to be a creative failure, but at least it will be interesting either way.

By Jeremy (Dec 23, 2005)

> Maybe I'm just showing my age, but music for
> games such as Warcraft and Morrorwind doesn't
> get me excited. Modern VGM is just an
> extension of the film scoring world, with
> boring "mood music" that lacks strong
> motives. The only game listed that I could
> hum a melody from is Sonic. Of course there
> are exceptions to a sweeping generalization
> like that, but they're just that: exceptions.

'kay, got your point. i for myself remember the MGS theme pretty well, same goes for morrowind. but yeah, matter of taste.

> As for sequential vs. live orchestration,
> the composition remains the same. I want to
> hear creative reinterpretations.

hmmm. did you ever attend a symphonic concert? i think it is quite different to attend a LIVE concert instead of sitting home in front of the CD-player.

> I'm not interested in buying a ticket to
> hear music the way it is on record, and that
> extends to this sort of event as well.

you know, the cool thing about live music is that every human being brings in something new and fresh. every live concert is different, and that makes it so exciting. personally i do not think it sounds 'the way it is on record'. otherwise nobody would attend a classic concert, don't ya think?

> That's why I mention that the Sonic music
> interests me - clearly *that* is going to
> have to be reimagined quite a bit to fit the
> format.

hmm, but there are other titles as well, i believe. MGS sounds orchestral in its original form, but it should be quite a challenge to make it working live? or what about Silent Hill, that should be tricky as well.

not to forget that they promised like 18 titles or so for the program, but did not announce all by now. the 1up interview stated they are working with yuzo koshiro and yasunori mitsuda, so i am expecting something in terms of special arrangements from that side as well.

jeremy :-)

By Arcubalis (Dec 24, 2005)

Morrowind

>>> That's cool, but these things never have
>>> programs I find interesting.
>>
>>hhhhhhmmmm. such as? :)
>
>I'm referring to the orchestral VGM concerts that have been put on in recent years. The music selection for these shows is boring to me.
>
>>> I guess it's just a symptom of the industry -
>>> there's much less appealing music being
>>> create for games these days. What's so
>>> exciting about hearing an orchestra perform
>>> VGM that was composed for orchestra in the
>>> first place?
>>
>>dunno know. but in my book silent hill, battlefield, morrowind, sonic, world of warcraft, metal gear solid etc. were not composed for the orchestra in the first place?
>>
>>ok, some were sampler based, but live orchestra is different anyway. not that i want to convince you to change your mind, i am just curious what you want to say. :)
>>
>>jeremy
>
>Maybe I'm just showing my age, but music for games such as Warcraft and Morrorwind doesn't get me excited. Modern VGM is just an extension of the film scoring world, with boring "mood music" that lacks strong motives. The only game listed that I could hum a melody from is Sonic. Of course there are exceptions to a sweeping generalization like that, but they're just that: exceptions.
>
>As for sequential vs. live orchestration, the composition remains the same. I want to hear creative reinterpretations. When I go to concerts, I go to hear bands with strong improvisational and arranging skills. I'm not interested in buying a ticket to hear music the way it is on record, and that extends to this sort of event as well. That's why I mention that the Sonic music interests me - clearly *that* is going to have to be reimagined quite a bit to fit the format. It may work well or it may turn out to be a creative failure, but at least it will be interesting either way.
>

I think Morrowind is the game I'm most excited about hearing live. Unfortunately they'll probably play the title theme, which is a bit contrived. I felt Morrowind was mistakingly absent from Video Games Live.

I just want to know why they didn't kick off in LA as usual? ;D

By Joshua (Dec 23, 2005)

>What's so exciting about hearing an orchestra >perform VGM that was composed for orchestra in >the first place?

Yeah I know, I mean who'd want to hear Beethoven's 5th as it was written!

-Joshua

By Johan K (Jan 01, 2006)

Anyone here who's coming to the concert in Stockholm?