Soundtracks Forum

Final Fantasy VI OST / OSV - Was it Ever Upgraded for GBA or DS?

By Bernhardt (Dec 13, 2009) (#1)

Here's a question -

the Final Fantasy VI OST / OSV - Was it Ever Upgraded for GBA or DS?

I know the FFIV OST got musically upgraded for the DS, but how about FFVI?

I'm looking through RPGFan and VGMdb right now, but evidence suggests "No," but if I can have someone confirm it for certain, I'd appreciate it.

By Cedille (Dec 13, 2009) (#2)

I'm not positive what's your definition of upgraded, but an FFVI DS hasn't ever released, but GBA so far. GBA's built-in sampler is not good enough (even with some additional PCMs) to even emulate the SNES soundtrack. Much less upgrading.

Last edited by Cedille (Dec 13, 2009)

By Ramza (Dec 13, 2009) (#3)

what Cedille said.

VI doesn't have any sort of remake even *planned* at this point. I suspect we have to get through V first.

There is the "FF Finest Box" if you want it. That'll cost you a couple hundred dollars.

It's the FFIV, FFV, and FFVI GBA soundtracks. But Cedille's point again needs to be heeded. It was "remastered" slightly for GBA. And by "remastered," he means downgraded. The fidelity of the FM synth is lost.

It would've been cooler if they went all out and just did NES chiptunes. Like those doujin "Chrono Trigger Famicom" albums. smile

Give it time. FFVI will get a DS remake, or whatever the latest handheld is in 2 years or so. smile

By Bernhardt (Dec 14, 2009) (#4)

Ahh, I figured as much.

At least the FFIV DS soundtrack is actually really good, though "Zeromus" / "Final Battle" is REALLY weak, compared to the original SNES version.

The original SNES FFVI OST actually still sounds pretty good, so I can stick with that awhile yet.

Bernhardt wrote:

"Zeromus" / "Final Battle" is REALLY weak, compared to the original SNES version.

Yeah, that version is really sad.

By Angela (Dec 14, 2009) (#6)

Ramza wrote:

Give it time. FFVI will get a DS remake, or whatever the latest handheld is in 2 years or so. smile

I'm of the opinion that FFV and FFVI don't need portable remakes.  At least, not if they're going to be in the style of FFIII or FFIV DS.  I just don't think the snappy battles of V or VI would translate well to a 3D engine.

Bernhardt wrote:

At least the FFIV DS soundtrack is actually really good, though "Zeromus" / "Final Battle" is REALLY weak, compared to the original SNES version.

I will say, though, the GBA version is the only take on that piece I really like. The bass and percussion come through a lot stronger for me.

Angela wrote:

I just don't think the snappy battles of V or VI would translate well to a 3D engine.

I would say the same for the snappy battles of III and IV, personally.

By Angela (Dec 14, 2009) (#9)

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

I would say the same for the snappy battles of III and IV, personally.

Well, yeah.  That's why those games weren't that hot either.

By Sami (Dec 14, 2009) (#10)

You guys still have the GBA ports, PS1 ports, SNES originals, and probably Virtual Console releases at some point (at least IV/VI).

No harm in making a new version for the people who've already played the original and don't mind variation, or who'd like a more FFIX-style of a new game.

Anyways, the GBA versions of FF4-6 sound different. Some tracks are just obviously worse, but some sound more like variation. It can be interesting to hear, like the MSX version of Final Fantasy 1.

By Adam Corn (Dec 14, 2009) (#11)

I have no interest in playing my all-time favorite RPG with a visual downgrade, which is what a 3D version on the DS would constitute.

If they make a DS version I hope they make it 2D with some gameplay tweaks to take advantage of the hardware.  Or better yet just save the remake for the DS's successor or a home system, where we could get properly upgraded graphics and hopefully a streaming soundtrack with some new orchestral arrangements.  Granted Square hardly ever (never?) do this with their remakes, but perhaps FFVI could be an exception.

By Ramza (Dec 20, 2009) (#12)

Angela wrote:

Ramza wrote:

I'm of the opinion that FFV and FFVI don't need portable remakes.  At least, not if they're going to be in the style of FFIII or FFIV DS.  I just don't think the snappy battles of V or VI would translate well to a 3D engine.

I have every reason to believe that your opinion, plus the opinions of thousands of other disgruntled gamers who hate the "remake factory" Square Enix and so many others are quickly becoming, will not stop the continuation of 3D DS remakes of the FF series. III was meager in terms of international sales, but IV most definitely sold well enough to continue the trend.

Ramza

By Angela (Dec 20, 2009) (#13)

Ramza wrote:

Angela wrote:

I have every reason to believe that your opinion, plus the opinions of thousands of other disgruntled gamers who hate the "remake factory" Square Enix and so many others are quickly becoming, will not stop the continuation of 3D DS remakes of the FF series. III was meager in terms of international sales, but IV most definitely sold well enough to continue the trend.

Oh, that I don't doubt.  But despite my trepidation of potentially slower-paced battles, I keep secretly hoping that these 3D remakes would find a home on more powerful hardware.  Can you imagine any one of the 16-bit titles running on PS3 or 360?  A higher, smoother-running polygon count, CD quality audio arrangement, and (best of all), an analog stick to do away with sore thumb d-pad pressing and awkward stylus controlling.

By Ramza (Dec 20, 2009) (#14)

that is most definitely what I would want for a remake. FFVI with the production values of FFXIII.

By Sami (Dec 20, 2009) (#15)

Angela wrote:

Can you imagine any one of the 16-bit titles running on PS3 or 360?  A higher, smoother-running polygon count, CD quality audio arrangement, and (best of all), an analog stick to do away with sore thumb d-pad pressing and awkward stylus controlling.

Yes. Final Fantasy VI-13. No thanks!

I've never used the analog sticks for menus, they're really clumsy for that. Unless your menu is some kind of a virtual reality menu from Johnny Mnemonic, you're better off with precise digital control instead of slippy analog. Analog is better for movement but in RPGs that usually doesn't matter as much as the menu-driven gameplay.

By Ramza (Dec 20, 2009) (#16)

um...PS3 has d-pad and analog stick. you could use D-pad for menus and analog for movement. And when I say "you could," I ought to follow it up with "and you DO in pretty much all RPGs."

So what exactly are you complaining about again, Sami?

By Sami (Dec 20, 2009) (#17)

I'm saying that having an analog nub is no reason or justification to subject these games to the compromises that a remake like that would entail, the kind of compromises showcased by FF13. You may like FF13, but not everyone does.

By Ramza (Dec 20, 2009) (#18)

I still have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

By Sami (Dec 20, 2009) (#19)

Final Fantasy VI remake: you start in Narshe, and fight monsters along a tube that leads into the abandoned city of Zozo, where you gain espers. You leave Zozo and fight monsters along a tube until you get into the hostile capital city of the Empire, where you fight imperial soldiers, and then, through some dramatic cutscenes, continue to the Floating Continent*. In a massive cataclysm, the world gets slightly more red-tinted and a more foreboding sky, but most of the tube remains intact. Now you fight monsters along the tube until the end, and witness credits rolling to a sappy pop song. Good job!

*Oh, what? Thamasa? Strago? Relm? Sorry, there were some cuts. There are now six playable characters, but they have different skill sets which makes it seem like there are more! Banon joins you for a while when you backtrack straight to Narshe, so that's like seven playable characters right there. Also, the airship in the cutscenes is really cool and it's actually the alternate form of Crusader, who you can receive as an optional esper from the game's optional sidequest of collecting twelve magical items along the course of the tube. Some of the dragons are still around as normal boss fights, they're huge and packing some really flashy attacks now!

By Ramza (Dec 20, 2009) (#20)

Okay you whiny-pants noob, clarification of my statement.

Final Fantasy VI with the *audio and visual* production values of FFXIII. Keep the gameplay.

Are you SATISFIED? That's all we ever meant.

noob.

By Sami (Dec 20, 2009) (#21)

Way to mature, guy!

I'm saying that that exception is impossible. You can't take the good without the bad. Either you have Final Fantasy VI, or Final Fantasy 13. The production values are the reason why FF13 is the way it is.

Sami wrote:

Way to mature, guy!

I'm saying that that exception is impossible. You can't take the good without the bad. Either you have Final Fantasy VI, or Final Fantasy 13. The production values are the reason why FF13 is the way it is.

I'm sure I or anyone else could pick this argument apart like you pointlessly picked Ramza's apart, but I think we all have better things to do.

By Sami (Dec 20, 2009) (#23)

Ashley Winchester wrote:

I'm sure I or anyone else could pick this argument apart like you pointlessly picked Ramza's apart, but I think we all have better things to do.

Actually, I counter-argued Angela, and it was a coincidence (relevant to current events) that I used the same example as Ramza, just from the opposite viewpoint. He seems to have thought I was addressing him, even when he actually made no argument to begin with.

Re-reading the discussion, this seems to be where Ramza's confusion comes from.

Sami wrote:

Ashley Winchester wrote:

Actually, I counter-argued Angela, and it was a coincidence (relevant to current events) that I used the same example as Ramza, just from the opposite viewpoint. He seems to have thought I was addressing him, even when he actually made no argument to begin with.

Re-reading the discussion, this seems to be where Ramza's confusion comes from.

I'm as hopelessly lost here as to what you're trying to prove as I was yesterday when a lady customer chewed me out with a long chain of obscenities for doing my job. I'll leave with my response to her: "Merry Christmas!"

Last edited by Ashley Winchester (Dec 20, 2009)

By Ramza (Dec 20, 2009) (#25)

I understand I'm being immature by using the word "noob." But come on... you think a game with graphics as good as FFXIII (not necessarily the battle animation, just the high quality characters and animation) NECESSITATE FFXIII's gameplay mechanics? That's just ludicrous.