Wednesday 13-Jun-2012 5:10 PM

Babel Rising

There's just one tower, and you're defending against it KIN  2

More Kinect
More Xbox Live
Thor
Thursday 29-Sep-2011 5:48 PM

Thor

Total Film review: Why Branagh's Marvel movie is more little cracker than hammer horror 8

Hall Pass
Tuesday 20-Sep-2011 11:11 AM

Hall Pass

The Farrelly Brothers hit maturity - in the face MOV  4

Hanna
Monday 5-Sep-2011 6:22 PM

Hanna

Like Elektra, but 10 years younger MOV 

Hobo With A Shotgun
Monday 5-Sep-2011 11:45 AM

Hobo With A Shotgun

Not quite "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" MOV  1

Rango
Sunday 21-Aug-2011 6:34 PM

Rango

Johnny Depp's weirdness infects Nickleodeon MOV 

Sucker Punch
Monday 15-Aug-2011 6:05 PM

Sucker Punch

Neither sucks nor blows MOV 

Six classic JRPG series we want on Xbox 360

Your comments on our articles.

Digging through the tomes in search of fallen glories

So there I was writing yesterday's blog about how a Final Fantasy VII remake would be bad, doing what I always do when I encounter a line in the sand, which is to stand on one side and yell belligerently. Suddenly: a Great Sadness. Who am I to deny countless JRPG players a dream that has become all but inseparable from this, most wistful of genres? Who am I, but a man taking pleasure from the thought of telling children that Santa Claus is a lie?

... read more

Six classic JRPG series we want on Xbox 360

Postby terry cheyne » 11 Jul 12 5:57 pm

i'm surprised you didn't say shadow hearts
the only jrpg i can think of which was a horror game as well one of the best ps2 rpgs
terry cheyne

Re: Six classic JRPG series we want on Xbox 360

Postby OXM ETboy » 11 Jul 12 6:50 pm

Never played it - but if you describe it and link to a video, I might add it to the list. :)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Plamsa wing » 11 Jul 12 7:15 pm

Fire Emblem, It'll never happen but I still like to hold the dream.

Or bring back Tales. I'll do anything.
"And the award for best film, cling, cling film."
Plamsa wing

Postby terry cheyne » 11 Jul 12 7:26 pm

OXM ETboy wrote:Never played it - but if you describe it and link to a video, I might add it to the list. :)

it's set 1913 supernatural horror great atmosphere and most main npc die in bloody ways
grapicly similar to ps1 final fantasys as in static backgrounds and 3d charactors
some of the people who made it made lost oddesy
hope this link works it lasts 10 min http://youtu.be/KRC2XLEXQsQ i've got the tech knowledge of an oglop :oops:
and i'm not joking
terry cheyne

Postby Baryonyx » 11 Jul 12 11:38 pm

Shadow Hearts would be a welcome return. Vagrant Story, I'd love to see that too. I enjoyed it the first time around, it was breathlessly complex and difficult for it's day. No mention of Breath of Fire though?
Excalipoor
Baryonyx

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jul 12 9:54 am

Santa is a lie!?! :shock: :cry:
"No, let the idiot talk. I'm starting to like the cut of his gibberish."
CunningSmile

Postby Grummy » 12 Jul 12 11:32 am

terry cheyne wrote:
OXM ETboy wrote:Never played it - but if you describe it and link to a video, I might add it to the list. :)

it's set 1913 supernatural horror great atmosphere and most main npc die in bloody ways
grapicly similar to ps1 final fantasys as in static backgrounds and 3d charactors
some of the people who made it made lost oddesy
hope this link works it lasts 10 min http://youtu.be/KRC2XLEXQsQ i've got the tech knowledge of an oglop :oops:
and i'm not joking

Wasn't that the sequel to Koudelka? Which I actually still have sitting on my shelf. A very good game.

Suikoden, to put it politely, f**k. Yes. I ADORE the Suikoden games. As a series I prefer them to FF, but FF7 still takes the crown as my favourite JRPG. Although there is an addendum to this I will mention in a moment.

Some games that are worth a mention are Breath of Fire, Grandia and Wild Arms, all PS1 RPG's I thoroughly enjoyed.

As for my addendum. Shining in the Darkness. The first game in the massive Shining series of RPG's. I count FF7 as my favourite JRPG, as I don't really count SitD in that category, the same as I wouldn't really call Dragons Dogma a JRPG. JRPG is very much a certain style of RPG that is synonymous with Japan, but some of the RPGs that come from there break the mould. DD is one, Nier was another, and the Shining series in general is yet another. Shining in the Darkness and Shining Force 1 and 2 are both in the Megadrive Ultimate Collection, and was one of my main reasons for getting it. The shining series is one that definitely needs to make a comeback, and is the one I'd want most of all.
The Artisit formerly known as Grumftheld
Grummy

Postby Maverick_McCool » 12 Jul 12 3:21 pm

No Breath of Fire? Shame on you OXM , a great series of JRPGs complete with a talking onion and a hero who turns into a dragon! A remake would please me greatly.

Failing that I'll second Grummy and hope for a Shining force remake!
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then I took a kick to the balls.......
Maverick_McCool

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Jul 12 3:23 pm

Indeed, the absence of Breath of Fire is a sad, self-inflicted blow to my RPG-loving nadgers. I'll update the piece by the end of today. Last chance to get your favourite thingy included.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff