ie8 fix
Ad: Power Your Performance

How to set up sync on Windows 8 Video

To play this video, you need Javascript enabled and the latest version of Flash installed. Install Flash now
How to set up sync on Windows 8
Created: 05/21/2012
Video description: One of the best things about Windows 8 is that you can sync settings, apps, and more across multiple computers and tablets. Here's how you do it.

How to set up sync on Windows 8 Video Transcript

Among the cool new features in Windows 8 is a robust synchronization system. And today, I'm going to show you how to set it up. I am Seth Rosenblatt for CNET. These easy steps will help you get more out of owning more than one Windows 8 device. You can setup Windows 8 with a local account but if you use a Microsoft account, formally known as a Windows Live account, you will be able to sync apps, settings, Internet Explorer 10 history and Bookmark, and even personal files. If you've got a brand new Windows 8 device, you can set it up from the GetGo with a Microsoft account. If you've already logged in with a local account, here's how to switch to a sync-tacular Microsoft account. Go to your Charms bar then settings, then more PC settings, users, and switch to Microsoft account. If you've got one, enter in the details here. If not, you can create one at the bottom of the screen. Once you've logged in with your Microsoft account, a new option will be added to PC settings called Sync You Settings. From there, you ca toggle all kinds of data to synchronize. Along with the options I mentioned earlier, you can also sync Windows Explorer and mouse settings, signing info, and metered internet connections. I recommend setting up a Microsoft account even if you don't have a second Windows 8 device, simply because all of your mission critical data and customization, will be backed up should anything destructive happens. For CNET, I'm Seth Rosenblatt.

Related Videos

Sync bookmarks across multiple Chrome browsers

Keep your bookmarks synced in Chrome! On today's Tekzilla Daily, Veronica shows you how to set up Chrome's built-in sync tool, letting you stay synchronized across multiple computers.

Supercharge your computing power

Multiplicity's home networking software lets you multitask, access files, and share data across two or more networked computers. Best of all, the whole operation is controlled by a single keyboard and mouse. Clutter, begone!

Using two iPods on one computer

Donald Bell shares some tips on syncing multiple iPods on one computer.

Sync iTunes on multiple computers

Donald Bell shows you how to sync your iTunes libraries among multiple computers in your home.

SugarSync file-syncing

Do you want painless automatic syncing and remote access for your stuff? SugarSync's managers for Mac and PC prep your multimedia files for sharing among multiple computers, the Web, and select cell phones.

Keyboard shortcuts in Windows XP

Here's the thing about using the mouse all the time. It's not that good for you--and it's slow. Do things more efficiently and with less risk of mouse-related agony with this set of keyboard shortcuts for Windows XP.

Ep. 519: Where we're too fat to fit through 7 Windows

Now that Chalentine's Day is over, we're back and ready to tackle the big news of the weekend: Windows Phone 7, the new mobile operating system just announced last Monday at a press conference at the Mobile World Congress 2010. Jeff is naturally apathetic toward the new OS after moving on to the Palm Pre, but the rest of the industry is excited about the proprietary PC client used to sync your phone to your PC--no more ActiveSync! Check out CNET's Crave blog for more info.

Sync your iPod with two computers

No longer must you and your iPod or iPhone be tied to only one computer! Here's how to sync at work AND at home. Amazing, right?

Samsung SyncMaster PX2370

With more features and better movie performance, the Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 improves--in most areas--on one of the best monitors we've ever reviewed.

Restore iTunes sync

Has your iPhone stopped syncing the calendar and contacts? Here's how to fix it.

• Recently Viewed Products
  • My Lists
  • My Software Updates
  • Promo