Favorite Artists

12 replies jump to bottom
Mricpx
Ride the walrus
Mricpx's picture
User is online

Anybody have any favorite artists?

Personally I'm quite fond of Edward Hopper and James Sienna.

I need to write a paper about asymmetric balance for a drawing class. It has to be a painting from the Philadelphia Museum of Art, but their search is only by artist, and all of the artists I'm fond of are either abstract, which I don't really feel like writing about, not in their collection, or classics which I feel would be a bit boring for the paper. So tell me your favorite artists or paintings as a jumping off point.

Irina Marina
natural born reader
Irina Marina's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 9 min ago.

Not sure it'll help you, but here are two of my favourites:

Audrey Kawasaki. She paints on wood

Stuntkid - illustrator

her very lifestyle is a sin

"Irina Marina is the blackest person I've never met. She also hates books. She buys them with her drug dealer money just to shoot them full of holes with her drug dealer gun." - labelleza

pepper
Three Cheers from Everyone
pepper's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 39 min ago.

I found this artist a while back and her work is pretty awesome:

http://agnes-cecile.deviantart.com/gallery/

Van Gogh has always been my favorite.

Irina Marina
natural born reader
Irina Marina's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 9 min ago.

If the museum has any Dali, you can always go with that. There's so much asymmetry in his works that you could do a whole class on it only.

her very lifestyle is a sin

"Irina Marina is the blackest person I've never met. She also hates books. She buys them with her drug dealer money just to shoot them full of holes with her drug dealer gun." - labelleza

Hilla-rat
ya dee?
Hilla-rat's picture
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 59 min ago.

I love Franz Kline

Man is the cruelest animal.

TigerLily
TigerLily's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 36 min ago.

Banksy.

Look up into the stars and you're gone.

Alecia
Alecia's picture
User offline. Last seen 32 min 24 sec ago.

Jack Vettriano

Shag

Nate Wragg

Photobucket

_kit
Wisenheimer
_kit's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 17 min ago.

do they have any Egon Schiele? I've only been to the Philadelphia Museum once, I don't really remember. Obviously any Picasso or something like that you could write about. Matisse also used a lot of asymmetry in his portraits.

Alecia
Alecia's picture
User offline. Last seen 32 min 24 sec ago.

We just went to an exhibit at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago - Picasso to Warhol.

Picasso to Warhol will present approximately 100 works of art created by 14 of the most iconic artists from the 20th century: Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Constantin Brancusi, Piet Mondrian, Fernand Léger, Marcel Duchamp, Giorgio De Chirico, Joan Miró, Romare Bearden, Alexander Calder, Jackson Pollock, Louise Bourgeois, Jasper Johns and Andy Warhol. The exhibition will be one of the largest concentrations of modern art masterpieces to ever be exhibited in the southeastern United States.

The achievements of these pioneers of modern art will be presented in depth, exploring each artist’s stylistic development and highlighting their role in the most important artistic developments of the twentieth century, including the invention of Cubism, the emergence of abstraction and the development of Surrealism.

Highlights of the exhibition include: Henri Matisse’s Dance (I), 1909; Pablo Picasso’s Girl Before a Mirror, 1932, and Night Fishing at Antibes, 1939; Jasper Johns’s Map, 1961; Andy Warhol’s Self-Portrait, 1966; Constantin Brancusi’s Bird in Space, 1928; and Jackson Pollock’s, Number 1A, 1948.

I don't know if any of this may be helpful to you, but perhaps....

We saw some very, very cool pieces.

Photobucket

Hilla-rat
ya dee?
Hilla-rat's picture
User offline. Last seen 21 hours 59 min ago.

Hey I like that Jack Vettriano lad. I just looked at some of his stuff.

Man is the cruelest animal.

Hattie
Hattie's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 10 min ago.

I find Jack Vettriano's art really corny. It doesn't help that his prints are in every greasy spoon you come across.

Mricpx
Ride the walrus
Mricpx's picture
User is online
Irina Marina wrote:
If the museum has any Dali, you can always go with that. There's so much asymmetry in his works that you could do a whole class on it only.

Yeah, I think I might do "Soft Construction with Boiled Beans (Premonition of Civil War)"

Also guys, I didn't really mean for this to be a "help me with my homework" kind of thing. Thanks anyway though.

PGoutis01
MOD
PGoutis01's picture
User offline. Last seen 53 min 20 sec ago.

Those two Irina posted are amazing. Stuntkid is sick!

And I really liked that Nate Wragg that Alecia posted.

I love Ralph Steadman's art.