About Us
  Heritage - Hyderabad
  Heritage - Sites
  Heritage Awareness
  Committee Members
  Contact Us
The Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage ( INTACH ) Hyderabad , A.P.
7-1-216/1, Ameerpet , P.O. Begumpet, Hyderabad - 500016 .
Tel - 040-23730885
    AWARDS ( Heritage Awards Programme) 2002

1996 : 1997 : 1998 : 1999 : 2000 : 2001 : 2002 : 2003 : 2004 : 2005

All nominations received are screened by a Committee of which Shri Sajjad Shahid a well known builder and member Core Committee INTACH Hyderabad is the Convenor, and the Co-Convenor is Smt.P.Anuradha Reddy – Member Core INTACH Hyderabad, a prominent Social Worker and President, Society for Preservation of Environment and Quality of Life (SPEQL) and Shri Shankar Narayan a noted architect is a member. After visiting the buildings etc., nominated, they short-list 24 buildings, gardens, water bodies etc., deserving of the Award, which list is placed before a Judges Panel.

This year the Judges Panel comprises a noted architect from outside Hyderabad Shri. E.F.N.Ribeiro – Director AMDA New Delhi and Shri Anwar Aziz, a very well known architect of Hyderabad. the Panel visits the short-listed buildings etc., and determines which 6 of these 24 short-listed nominations deserve to be given the Awards.

Tha Annual INTACH Heritage Award is given away every year on April 18 coinciding with “World Heritage Day”. On this occasion, a Heritage Annual is also released which highlighs some facets of the Heritage of Hyderabad.

The “VII INTACH Heritage Awards Function” was held on 18.4.2002. The Award winning Heritage structures were:


Located near Charminar, in the old city of Hyderbad, Afzal Mahal is a part of the Chow Mohalla (Four Palaces) Complex. The complex built around 1750 served as the seat of the King after the Asaf Jahi capital was shifted to Hyderabad. Using the existing structures and materials of an earlier Qutub Shahi Palace, the Nizam’s Official residence has been constantly remodelled and additions made over the years. Afzal Mahal, acquired its classical European look during the reign of Vth Nizam, Nawab Afzal ud Dowla (1857 – 69). This architectural style could be the result of an increased interaction between Europeans and Hyderabad nobility.

After a long period of neglect, this beautiful architectural environment has been taken up for restoration. The Nizam’s private Estate has commissioned a major conservation project to restore Chow Mohalla to its original glory. This professional exercise in conservation under the guidance and supervision of competent experts in the field testify to the keen interest of the owners in preserving an outstanding example of built heritage.

Image Courtesy : Ms. Anuradha Reddy


Located near the Makkai Darwaza of Golconda Fort, the Musa Burj is a decagon of which six sides are visible. It rises sixty feet high. Built of huge granite blocks firmly cemented together, the three-storeyed structure is surmounted by canons including the “AZDHAKA PAIKAR” (dragon body), one of the four famous guns used by Aurangzeb during his Deccan campaign.

Two inscriptions on the Burj, one in Persian and the other in Telugu record the battle in 1656 and the events thereafter. Golconda Commander Musa Khan was ordered by the King to reinforce this vulnerable part of the fort’s defences. Master Mason Dharam Char executed this masterpiece and added a moat to prevent mining of the defences.

Image Courtesy : Ms. Anuradha Reddy


Located in Nanakram Guda, off the Old Bombay Highway, this ensemble of buildings owned by the Pitti family is a complex of temples and other structures, more than 350 years old. It is presently administered by a trust created by Shri Pannalal Pitti, son of Late Raja Bahadur Sir Bansilal Pitti and is at present headed by Shri Badrivishal Pitti. The complex is a study in synthesis as there is clear evidence of continuous building activity over the years. One approaches the ensemble through a straight path flanked by a pair of guard houses remarkably similar to the Habshi Kaman at Golconda albeit on a considerably reduced scale. To the left is a rectangular block, which initially was built, in the traditional Kakatiya style of some columns, lintels and solid stone slabs for roofing. At a later date this colonnade was incorporated into walls created by blanked arches to create closed quarters. The arches and finishing is a blending of Qutub Shahi and Mughal elements.

Opposite to this structure is a fairly new high shed which houses the ancient 5 – storeyed 35 feet high extensively decorated wooden chariot which is drawn by the devotees during the 8 day annual Brahmotsavam. Just before the first gateway of the main temple complex is a courtyard to the left which is enclosed by an open stone colonnade and is probably the oldest unchanged structure in the ensemble. A magnificent Baobab tree almost as huge as the famous Hathyan Tree in the Naya Quila, Golconda Fort provides further proof of the complex dating back to the Qutub Shahi times.

Image Courtesy : Ms. Anuradha Reddy


Located at Begumpet, the Malani residence belongs to a family, which has a rich history of philanthropy and commissioning of remarkable buildings over the centuries. Seth Dewan Bahadur Ramgopal, the scion of the Malani family was a pioneering industrialist and renowned philanthropist. His name lives on in the DBR Mills, and Ramgopal Pet. He also has the distinction of financing a number of religious and public works like the Clock Tower of Ramgopal Pet Police Station the belfry of St.John’s Church and the now demolished pavilion in the Fateh Maidan. As part of the Nizam’s Jubilee celebrations, Seth Ramgopal spearheaded the drive to raise public contributions for the construction of the Town Hall (present Legislative Assembly) building.

The Begumpet residence constructed in 1936 is a prime example of the Osmanian period of Hyderabad’s architectural history when a multitude of styles flourished. This Spartan two-storeyed structure is composed of straight lines and sharp angles. In spite of an absence of any decoration and the rigid adherence to a straight line, a square and rectangle theme, the building is a treat to the eye. This is most probably the result of a reaction to the sweeping curves, circular openings and a complete absence of sharp edges, which were the guidelines for the “Art Décor” and its derivative “German Design” which dominated Hyderabad in the 1930’s and 1940’s.

Image Courtesy : Ms. Anuradha Reddy


Located near Trimulgherry, in the Cantonment area, the All Saints’ Church was constructed in 1860, and is a fine example of the Gothic style. An imposing structure with a multitude of spires and turrets, a soaring tower like belfry, the church is built on an imposing scale. It was the first permanent structure of the Trimulgherry entrenchment.

It also boasts of stained glass windows depicting “Jesus carrying the cross to Calvary” which is dedicated to the memory of Edward Dawson, Lieutenant of the Royal Artillery and dated 1884. Sixteen memorial tablets along the wall and a medium sized organ are some of the antique possessions.

Image Courtesy : Ms. Anuradha Reddy



Located close to Secunderabd Club area, the outcrop of rocks near Trimulgherry came to be known as Gun Rock after the Secunderabad Contingent mounted a cannon to protect their first permanent settlement in the area of Trimulgherry, Bowenpalli and Bolarum in 1836. Increased demand for water both by the armed forces whose numbers increased and the local residents especially in the General Bazaar area which witnessed a spurt in population by the lucrative business opportunities, necessitated search for alternate sources of water supply. Gun Rock proved ideal to locate a reservoir fed by waters from Jeedimetla and Hashmathpet. This ensured an independent and reliable supply via gravity flow.

Sensitive to the imposing rock formation and the opportunity to provide an impressive testimonial to British Engineering, the builders of Gun Rock tank modelled their structure on the lines of a classical Castle-Fort. To the uninitiated, the Gun Rock tank would appear an imposing and impregnable fortification. Reached by two independent stairways in granite masonry, the tank is a squat and heavy structure with corner turrets and a Gothic rampart like parapet. The final ascent to the tank top is by cantilevered stone steps jutting out of a side of the structure.

Image Courtesy : Ms. Anuradha Reddy

1996 : 1997 : 1998 : 1999 : 2000 : 2001 : 2002 : 2003 : 2004 : 2005

  Copyrights © INTACH 2005 , All Rights Reserved , Designed by Sanjai & Amitabh