Game Music

FFIII DS; orchestrations for the yum!

By Angela (Jul 29, 2006) (#1)

A music recording of the trailer Square Enix just released on their website. Granted, the piece will most definitely sound more compressed when playing in-game on the DS, it's insanely beautiful.  Can we assume this is Shiro Hamaguchi's conduction? 

Anyone else get an Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade ending vibe when watching the heroes riding on the Chocobos just before the opening bars of Eternal Wind?

By Harry (Jul 29, 2006) (#2)

Apparently, it's arranged by Nobuo Uematsu himself. And from where Hamaguchi is right now, it'd be pretty hard to contribute to anything.

By Angela (Jul 29, 2006) (#3)

Harry wrote:

Apparently, it's arranged by Nobuo Uematsu himself. And from where Hamaguchi is right now, it'd be pretty hard to contribute to anything.

Hm, you'll have to enlighten me.  I'm honestly not aware of Hamaguchi's current whereabouts or workings.... not since Advent Children, anyway.

By Harry (Jul 29, 2006) (#4)

He's currently studying in the US at Berklee University. Drop by and say 'hey' if you live locally!

By Ramza (Jul 29, 2006) (#5)

"And from where Hamaguchi is right now, it'd be pretty hard to contribute to anything."

I was really scared you were gonna say he died.

PHEW. Good. Glad he's still doing well. tongue

By Zane (Jul 29, 2006) (#6)

Harry wrote:

He's currently studying in the US at Berklee University. Drop by and say 'hey' if you live locally!

You mean... Berklee in Boston? O_o

By .59 (Jul 29, 2006) (#7)

I'm not a big fan of orchestrated VGM in general, but I like this arrangement (and the accompanying trailer) a lot. Whoever arranged it did a great job.

Ramza wrote:

I was really scared you were gonna say he died.

That makes two of us, hehe.

By Harry (Jul 29, 2006) (#8)

Zane wrote:

Harry wrote:

Yep.

By Zane (Jul 29, 2006) (#9)

Damn! I should probably go see him, considering that I work about 37 seconds from there. Literally.

By McCall (Jul 29, 2006) (#10)

Daaaang. That was good. I love FF3's music.

Zane. DO IT! big_smile

By Cain Highwind (Jul 30, 2006) (#11)

Zane wrote:

Harry wrote:

Well that would certainly explain why One Piece is mostly being handled by Kouhei Tanaka now and not the two of them. I wish I was that lucky sad

Lovely trailer and music though, Elia's theme is simply a gorgeous piece that doesn't get much credit being an old OLD Generation piece (and mainly due to FFIII's obscurity).

By Wanderer (Jul 30, 2006) (#12)

Very lovely. FFIII has one of my favorite soundtracks in the series. It'll be great to hear it updated.

By Henri (Jul 31, 2006) (#13)

It was about time Hamaguchi actually learning something about orchestration. Maybe he'll be better next time we hear from him.

This FF3 piece (pieces) does not have Hamaguchi written on it, so I take it's probably Sekito.

Last edited by Henri (Jul 31, 2006)

By HamandSushi (Jul 31, 2006) (#14)

It is Sekito.

By .59 (Aug 06, 2006) (#15)

I don't know if this is old, but there's a special page up at S-E's website for FFIII DS's OST.
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/ff3/

I hope that bonus DVD will include a bit more than just an interview. BTW, has anyone heard anything by muZik before? It looks they're a two-man unit that performs techno/pop-style versions of FF music, but are they any good?

Last edited by .59 (Aug 06, 2006)

By avatar! (Aug 06, 2006) (#16)

Harry wrote:

Zane wrote:

Harry wrote:

Yep.

Cool, just for future reference, it's actually called Berklee College of Music, and is internationally known as one of the best performance schools.  I could stop by as well, but to be honest I'm not familiar with Hamaguchi...

cheers,

By TerraEpon (Aug 06, 2006) (#17)

And I hope the bonus DVD won't make it so it changes the pakaging into the thicker kind, like what happened with Soul Calibur III :-(

-Joshua

By Angela (Aug 06, 2006) (#18)

TerraEpon wrote:

And I hope the bonus DVD won't make it so it changes the pakaging into the thicker kind, like what happened with Soul Calibur III :-(

Hm?  I would have to check again, but I could've sworn SCIII's OST packaging was exactly the same size as a standard three/four disc set box.

By TerraEpon (Aug 06, 2006) (#19)

Exactly. If it was only two discs, it could have been a normal size jewel case.

-Joshua

TerraEpon wrote:

Not necessarily.  Xenosaga II (and presumably III) came in a fatter case even with two CDs (yes, even the later reprints with no memory card holder in the back part of the case - I've got one sitting here in the room with me).  I can thing of a LOT of older CDs packaged that way too - anything double disc by Falcom from back in the day, FF5, etc..

By GoldfishX (Aug 07, 2006) (#21)

Yeah, it seemed like they went from the large boxes until 1993-1994, then for a short while, it was the awkard two disc cases (see Suikoden 1, War-Zard or Dracula Best 2), then finally, the 2-disc single cases we see nowadays so much. I personally prefer the big cases...The single CD cases that hold two discs often break in transit. Fortunately, replacements of them are easy to buy.

This is probably the OST I'm looking forward to the most right now. I'm all for NES chip music, but I'm not so sure it was the best thing for RPG music at the time. That, plus the original FF3 OST didn't loop...Hopefully, this will be remedied. Looking forward to "Cute Little Tozas" and the final battle music most.

By TerraEpon (Aug 07, 2006) (#22)

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

TerraEpon wrote:

Not necessarily.  Xenosaga II (and presumably III) came in a fatter case even with two CDs (yes, even the later reprints with no memory card holder in the back part of the case - I've got one sitting here in the room with me).  I can thing of a LOT of older CDs packaged that way too - anything double disc by Falcom from back in the day, FF5, etc..

I said /could/....geeze. Is redeading comprehension that hard these days?

Look, I just get annoyed when they are larger, because I've already litterally run out of space for my CDs, and every little bit helps matters. I even buy things again (the exact same music) just to save space..

-Joshua

TerraEpon wrote:

I said /could/....geeze. Is redeading comprehension that hard these days?

No, the comprehension of those enemies from Ocarina of Time isn't terribly difficult, but apparently not being super defensive and serious is!  tongue

Edit: and for the record, I actually do prefer two CD sets to be in slimmer cases as space is an issue for me too.

Last edited by Qui-Gon Joe (Aug 07, 2006)

By XLord007 (Aug 07, 2006) (#24)

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

Xenosaga II (and presumably III) came in a fatter case even with two CDs

Yep, the XS3 OST is in the fat case just as you suspected.

By loveydovey (Aug 16, 2006) (#25)

Harry wrote:

anyone know how old hamaguchi is (never seen a pic myself)? curious how he went to uni at this point of his career.