Game Music

Hell now frozen, Sega announces Sonic 1 & 2 OST

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry, had to get that out of the way)

Providing several links just so nobody thinks I'm joking..

http://news.dctgarden.com/2011/06/-12.html
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201106/18045477.html
http://www.thedailydl.com/sonic-the-hed … announced/
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/06/son … announced/

This set will include all the music from both games, "demo tape" music from both games, and bonus tracks.  I think I speak for a lot of you when I say this will be an instant purchase.  Now let's hope Sega is planning a similar treatment for Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic 3D Blast.

Last edited by the_miker (Jun 18, 2011)

Fanboy within me resurfaces, will be pre-ordering or buying on release.

By vert1 (Jun 19, 2011) (#3)

So much for not buying any more vgm over the Summer. heh.

Sweet.  I'll be getting this.

Awesome!

Can't let this one slip by!

By Razakin (Jun 19, 2011) (#6)

I'm probably the only one who thinks this is meh, musicwise. But as a releasewise it's good that finally Sega / Wavemaster? does release something that fans want.

But seems that they haven't gotten the rights to release 3/Knuckles, which is annoying. Bloody rights and shit.

By Smeg (Jun 19, 2011) (#7)

My interest in this release depends on the extent of the "demo" material. I can emulate the music from the game, and allow each tune to loop to my heart's content unlike on CD. But if there's more to the demos than just a couple token tracks to fill out space, I'd love to hear it.

By Boco (Jun 20, 2011) (#8)

Been waiting for this for almost 20 years. This is a must buy and a dream come true! Hoping for some good bonus material. big_smile

By Yotsuya (Aug 16, 2011) (#9)

Any developments on this announcement?

By Ugly Bob (Aug 17, 2011) (#10)

I'll probably get this as a starting move to rebuild my video game music collection, that I unfortunately had to sell all of to pay bills.

Hope for some remixes!

By xplojin. (Aug 18, 2011) (#11)

kinda gettin the impression that it'll be remixes; one of the links says it'll be a "compilation" like it'll only be certain tracks, and not the entire soundtracks, and then they say they're including the origjnal "demo tapes" - what do they mean by that? the actual chip tunes from the games?

By Smeg (Aug 18, 2011) (#12)

xplojin. wrote:

they say they're including the origjnal "demo tapes" - what do they mean by that? the actual chip tunes from the games?

My guess is that Nakamura recorded live demos first to be subsequently transcribed into chiptunes. As a live musician, such a process might have made more sense for him.

By Yotsuya (Aug 21, 2011) (#13)

Any word on a release date?

By the_miker (Sep 30, 2011) (#14)

This comes out on October 19th.

The tracklist was just revealed and I did a full comparison of it with the sound test menus from both games (which are obviously complete) and I have good news.. ALL the music from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 is here! This assumes "UNUSED SONG" is Hidden Palace Zone from Sonic 2 and "DEATH EGG ZONE (PART2)" is Sonic 2's final boss music, which I'm 99.99999% sure is true.

The only missing material are the Drowning, Chaos Emerald, and Special Stage 1UP jingles. Since this release is being produced by Masato Nakamura on his own label, I'm assuming those jingles weren't included because he had nothing to do with them. We know from various research that Yukifumi Makino (Macky) wrote the Drowning and Chaos Emerald jingles, not sure about the other one though.

By Judgment Day (Oct 04, 2011) (#15)

Ain't that a blip...! 2011 started off slow, but is ending pretty good - Sold!

By Yotsuya (Monday, 6:13) (#16)

Just got an email from CD Japan the album is in the mail! Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!

By Adam Corn (Monday, 7:42) (#17)

Yotsuya wrote:

Just got an email from CD Japan the album is in the mail! Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!

Really now... will be hitting the music store a day early tomorrow in that case. big_smile

Just put in an order for this... I haven't bought any VGM for a while. The last thing I ordered was either the SQEX reprint of Parasite Eve (which fell by the wayside listening wise, reminding why I got rid of it in the first place) or The Legend of Dragoon Soundtrack which, yes, I actually like in some ways.

Still, I've been playing Sonic 3 on my Genesis 3 and while the game is nowhere near as great as I remember (my memories are from when I was in 6th grade after all...) I would love to have it's music on disc as well. I really like the mid boss music and how it says "come on" right at the beginning. The only thing is I don't ever remember beating Sonic 3 even though I know I got to the last zone... I guess I'll find out what - if anything - got in my way soon enough.

But when it comes to Sonic in general - and Sonic vs Mario - I don't know how much water the old "the good old days" arguement really holds anymore. The whole premise of Sonic (run really, really fast) seems to defeat the concept of exploration. I don't know what I'm trying to get at here... all I know is I can't get over how beautiful Sonic 3 is (graphically) and yet crash, bang, boom I'm just flying everywhere before I have a chance to really take it in and enjoy it.

Maybe if play Sonic 1 and 2 that'll change.