Other Music

ORIGINAL Classical-styled / Orchestral / Instrumental Music for Winter

By Bernhardt (Jan 03, 2011) (#1)

I tend to listen to classical music more in Winter, since a lot of it has colder, darker tones to it, especially a lot of stuff I listen to, so I like listening to it best during the colder, darker months of the year.

These particular artists produce rather soft, somber, meditative, introspective music; in other words, perfect for reading, or quiet contemplation.

Here's just a handful of artists I personally endorse, and think you'll enjoy, too:

=====================

Olafur Arnalds

Eulogy for Evolution is a good start (LINK)

=====================

Hildur Guđnadóttir

Check out Without Sinking (LINK)

=====================

Johann Johannsson

This artist served as my introduction to this entire sub-genre;

Fordlandia (LINK) is a very awesome album, and my introduction to his body or work;

I can also vouch for And in the Endless Pause There Came the Sound of Bees (LINK)

Official Site

=====================

Max Richter

Blue Notebooks (LINK), 24 Post Cards in Full Colour (LINK), and Memoryhouse (LINK) are all fully worth your time.

=====================

Well, a lot of these artists are Scandanavian (does Iceland count as well?)

Say, Anosou, think we'll eventually see your name amongst these artists? big_smile

Last edited by Bernhardt (Jan 03, 2011)

By avatar! (Jan 03, 2011) (#2)

Bernhardt wrote:

I tend to listen to classical music more in Winter, since a lot of it has colder, darker tones to it, especially a lot of stuff I listen to, so I like listening to it best during the colder, darker months of the year.

I most definitely have to disagree that classical music has "colder, darker tones to it". Really "cold and dark" are not adjectives I would use to describe the music of Mozart, or Beethoven, Bach, and lots others. However, I do agree that it *can* be dark, but I wouldn't describe it as mostly cold and dark.

Wagner tends to be dark of course. And I heard no winter is complete without Sibelius smile

I'm not familiar with the composers you listed, but I'll check them out. Thanks for the notice. By the way, along the lines of cold VGM, I recommend Wrath of the Lich King...

cheers,

Last edited by avatar! (Jan 03, 2011)

By Bernhardt (Jan 03, 2011) (#3)

I most definitely have to disagree that classical music has "colder, darker tones to it".

Not overall in general, no, I was just talking about these artists in particular; Classical music can have bright, warm aural tones to it, but I don't listen to a lot of that kind of Classical, actually...

I'm not familiar with the composers you listed, but I'll check them out. Thanks for the notice.

Yeah, I definitely had to search around to find these composers;

glad people are willing to take recommendations from me!

Finding original classical-styled music, aside from artists from the actual Classical period, and outside game and film scores, isn't one of the easiest things to do; somehow, I figured I would've ended up getting more comments!