Game Music

VGM that gives you chills

By Jodo Kast (May 25, 2010) (#26)

These may be some of the reasons why I don't have a girlfriend:

Battle - Initial Strike (Etrian Odyssey)
Labyrinth V - The Capital of Shinjuku (Etrian Odyssey)
Gunfire Beats (Gunslinger Girl)
Slaughter by the River of Souls (Turok 2)
Almost every song (Paladin's Quest)
Title Theme (Red Stone)
Cyber Cave -Sunset Clouds- (Thunder Force VI - Broken Thunder)
Club M ~Blue Sky Flute~ (King of Fighters '95)
Banquet of Nature (Samurai Spirits 3, 4)
Mirror of Heart (Samurai Spirits 3, 4)
A Peaceful Death (DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou Arrange)

By Boco (May 25, 2010) (#27)

Jodo Kast wrote:

Battle - Initial Strike (Etrian Odyssey)
Labyrinth V - The Capital of Shinjuku (Etrian Odyssey)
Gunfire Beats (Gunslinger Girl)
Slaughter by the River of Souls (Turok 2)

Love all those songs. Great choices!

As for VGM that gives me chills, there are quite a few tracks. Some that come to mind are:

Area 88, "Cave ~ ROUND 6"
Fate / stay night [Réalta Nua], "Mighty Wind"
Final Fantasy VII, "Bombing Mission"
Final Fantasy VII, "Main Theme"
Final Fantasy VIII, "Liberi Fatali"
Final Fantasy VIII, "Ending"
Final Fasntasy IX, "Assault of the Silver Dragons"
Final Fantasy X, "Summoned Beast Battle"
Final Fantasy XI, "Airship"
Final Fantasy XI, "Castle Zvahl"
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, "Battle 3"
Final Fantasty Tactics, "Staff Credit"
Gunslinger Girl, "Blood Runner"
Gyakuten Saiban, "Pressing Pursuit ~ Cornered / Variation"
Pink Sweets, "Tigre Bianca"
Rockman 2, "Ending"
Rockman X, "Ending"
Star Fox, "Corneria"
Star Ocean: The Second Story, "Integral body and imperfect soul"
Star Ocean: The Second Story, "Star Ocean Forever"
Super Metroid, "Opening"
Xenosaga, "KOS-MOS"

And the ENITRE Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) soundtrack. Yeah.

Last edited by Boco (May 25, 2010)

By muddyboy (May 25, 2010) (#28)

One game manages to do it over and over, even though its quite old and had a very shacky MIDI sound... UFO: Enemy Unknown, known as X-COM: Ufo Defense in the US. Boy, that music was perfect, and I still remember it after all those years.

By fusoya (May 26, 2010) (#29)

What a great topic!  This sounds like fun!

The Dreadful Fight - Final Fantasy IV
Starlight Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog
Stickerbush Symphony - Donkey Kong Country 2
Raging Sea - Crystalis
Attack Team - Final Fantasy Tactics
An Old Irish Song - Suikoden
Ending - The Legend of Zelda: ALTTP
The Moon - DuckTales
Sirius (The Dog Star) - Sol Feace
Space Armada - Star Fox
Dire, Dire Docks - Super Mario 64
Gusty Garden - Super Mario Galaxy
Flight - Xenogears
Corridors of Time - Chrono Trigger
The Cave - Castlevania 4
Roses and Wine - Final Fantasy VIII
Within the Giant - Final Fantasy IV

I may have a to make a playlist out of this. 

-Eric

Last edited by fusoya (May 26, 2010)

I need to fo through my music and make a more comprehensive list, but I have to mention Breath of Fire II's "Nightmare":

While most people will find any comparison between Breath of Fire II and Final Fantasy VI a laughable concept, “Nightmare” is very reminiscent of Nobuo Uematsu’s “Last Dungeon” played in Kefka’s Tower. Sure, both play in their respective games final areas, but it’s their mood, or rather their message that this final leg of the journey will be arduous that brings them together. Arduous (with a side order of fear and dread) is perhaps the only way to describe “Nightmare” as its use throughout the entangled fields of Infinity helps give shape to the darkened void in which it exists. Unfortunately, as expected, the consequences of taking it out of context are about as friendly as the fiends that inhibit said void, so naturally, you won’t find yourself humming it. Still, it is a powerful track regardless.

Also, I love how creepy "Questionable Century"/"An Uncertain Millennium" is in the third game.

By Raziel (Jun 05, 2010) (#31)

Big Battle from Digital Devil Saga. It's just so awesome.

By Tim JC (Jun 06, 2010) (#32)

Thank you to fusoya for mentioning Stickerbrush Symphony from Donkey Kong Country 2. I've listened to most of the SNES rpg soundtracks out there, but not much outside of the rpg genre. I've never played the DK games either, so this was my first time hearing that music. Amazing sounds and harmonies which definitely gave me chills.

I just love it when I get to listen to a gem like this for the first time, because it doesn't happen that often anymore. I had to check out the rest of the music from DKC2, as well as from the other two games. Lots of good stuff there, with a handful of truly great songs that I'll be listening to on a regular basis now. I can't remember specific titles now, but two more of my favorites were "Aquatic" and "Jib Jig."

By fusoya (Jun 11, 2010) (#33)

Tim JC wrote:

Thank you to fusoya for mentioning Stickerbrush Symphony from Donkey Kong Country 2. I've listened to most of the SNES rpg soundtracks out there, but not much outside of the rpg genre. I've never played the DK games either, so this was my first time hearing that music. Amazing sounds and harmonies which definitely gave me chills.

I'm glad I could introduce you to some great music!  Definitely some of my favorite from the SNES.

-Eric

By the_miker (Jun 11, 2010) (#34)

Had a really "chill" experience last night with a song I haven't heard in a while.  SMALL TWO OF PIECES from Xenogears.  I seriously felt like I was high on something the whole time it was playing, and I still remembered all the lyrics.  Could very well be my favorite VGM vocal.  What a rush!

By Zane (Jun 11, 2010) (#35)

the_miker wrote:

I seriously felt like I was high on something the whole time it was playing

That drug, which is my current narcotic of choice, is PS1-era Squaresoft VGM. Vintage shit, man.

By Tim JC (Jun 11, 2010) (#36)

Checked out the rendition of Dancing Mad from Distant Worlds II:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPibK9b5BUk
Chill-worthy.

I have to add this piece from Rockman DASH 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyofFtSo … re=related

Generally, this kind of stuff isn't my thing, but it would have been cool if it had made it onto last years special selection.

By the_miker (Jun 21, 2010) (#38)

Link to the Past's ending / staff credits.  Seriously, the second half of this track gives me Ice Palace chills.  The slowed down "main theme" is so beautiful, even for raw SNES music.  Hear: http://twaud.io/dmQ

By Dais (Jun 26, 2010) (#39)

Nearly any version of Geese Howard's classic theme is enough to induce chills, but one particular rendition has always stuck with me, and a rather unlikely one at that.

A guy named Yasumasa Yamada was responsible for converting the soundtracks to several SNK fighting games to their SNES ports. He did a competent-to-quality job all around, but listening through his work on Fatal Fury Special, you might find yourself somewhat surprised by the arrangements. While a lot of SNES/Genesis arcade ports were concerned mainly with getting the best approximation of the original sound, Yamada's work on Special is notable for adding a number of flourishes and segues which add a surprising amount of originality to the themes.

My favorite example of this is his take on Geese Howard's theme. Some might wince at some of the weaker samples which can't match the intensity of other versions of the theme, but it's quite clear that the song still does justice to the original version.

The interesting part, however, is what happens at 1:12. Rather than directly copy the original somewhat frantic end and loop, the SNES version provides a longer and softer end and sudden loop which I feel actually fits Geese Howard's character a lot better - he's a maniac, but also a brilliant and cultured crime lord. The new and more relaxed sequence is an auditory reference to the concept which defines his character: total control.

I realize I sound kind of silly saying all this, but the change in tone that Yamada's arrangement produces makes it the definitive version of the song for me, even with the general inadequacy of the SNES in reproducing the raw power of the original.

By Idolores (Jun 26, 2010) (#40)

Zane wrote:

the_miker wrote:

I seriously felt like I was high on something the whole time it was playing

That drug, which is my current narcotic of choice, is PS1-era Squaresoft VGM. Vintage shit, man.

Seconded. Vagrant Story has been having hot pig sex with my CD player.

Last edited by Idolores (Jun 26, 2010)

By Adam Corn (Jul 24, 2010) (#41)

Poignant chills:

Beyond the Beyond Original Game Soundtrack "Land of Promise" - One of the best arrangements in all of VGM; a masterful track from start to finish, but when those final violins kick in, oh my goodness...

Ecco - Songs of Time "Motion E" - Those synth swells are transcendental.

Final Fantasy 1987-1994 "My Home Sweet Home" - Heartrendingly bitter sweet.

Final Fantasy VI Original Sound Version "Ending Theme" - Splendid throughout, but the triumphant reprisal of the Figaro theme and that ingenious progression from Terra's theme to Relm's to Shadow's are where the chills come in.

Final Fantasy VIII Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec "Ending Theme" - Caps off one of the most beautiful, elegant renditions of the FF main theme with a Dune'esque bit of mystery and some oh so tender closing moments; the Uematsu-Hamaguchi combo at their best.

Fervent chills:

Dragon Quest Symphonic Suite Live Best "Into the Legend (DQIII)" - I've listened to this theme a thousand times and those rousing, climactic trumpets still give me chills.

Seiken Densetsu Sound Collections "Second Chapter - Menace" - Care to hear a perfect battle theme arrangement?  Here it is.  My goodness, those horns.

Ys Symphony '95 "4th Movement" - Terashima's genre-defying transmogrification of Ys into orchestral reaches its epic, furious climax here.

Ys V Orchestral Version "Farewell" - Brings on the chills from the very start with that unstoppable opening brass and then, after successfully reprising nearly the whole album in a single track, brings them on again for the finale.

Dramatic chills:

Panzer Dragoon RPG ~Azel~ Memorial Album "Sona mi areru ec sancitu" - A masterful choral work with an epic orchestral finale.

Symphonic Shades "X-Out" - The most amazing choral arrangement in VGM to date.  The things that chorus does transcend human limits.

In-game chills:

Chrono Trigger Original Sound Version "Frog's Theme" - Favorite character, fantastic theme, the cave scene.

Soul Edge - Khan Super Session "The Edge of Soul" - Maybe I was more easily emotionally swayed at the time, but something about seeing Rock hefting his axe up from clifftop to a ragingly awesome ethnic rock vocal made me giddy.

In-concert chills:

Final Fantasy VI Little Jack Orchestral Concert "Rest in Peace ~ Epitaph ~ Searching for Friends" - Hearing the poignant "Epitaph" lead into a sweeping orchestral rendition of "Searching for Friends" is an experience I hope I never forget.

Last edited by Adam Corn (Jul 13, 2011)

Adam Corn wrote:

Soul Edge - Khan Super Session "The Edge of Soul" - Maybe I was more easily emotionally swayed at the time, but something about seeing Rock hefting his axe up from clifftop to a ragingly awesome ethnic rock vocal made me giddy

Totally, too bad the game edit isn't on any official CD, otherwise the track is way too long.

Adam Corn wrote:

Final Fantasy 1987-1994 "My Home Sweet Home" - Heartrendingly bitter sweet

Oh man, it's been SO long since I've listened to that track.  I absolutely love it... one of my favorite arranged tracks of all time (even more surprising for me since it's a vocal... and an English one)!

By Bernhardt (Jul 24, 2010) (#44)

the_miker wrote:

Had a really "chill" experience last night with a song I haven't heard in a while.  SMALL TWO OF PIECES from Xenogears.  I seriously felt like I was high on something the whole time it was playing, and I still remembered all the lyrics.  Could very well be my favorite VGM vocal.  What a rush!

DUDE. Back when I first got the Xenogears OST, I would listen to "Small of Two Pieces" on REPEAT every night before going to bed, until I fell asleep...for about THREE months straight. Good times!

By Angela (Jul 24, 2010) (#45)

Qui-Gon Joe wrote:

Adam Corn wrote:

Final Fantasy "My Home Sweet Home" - Heartrendingly bitter sweet

Oh man, it's been SO long since I've listened to that track.  I absolutely love it... one of my favorite arranged tracks of all time (even more surprising for me since it's a vocal... and an English one)!

Well, partially English, anyway.  The rest is in Sámi.

Agreed, though - it is a lovely piece.  The Dear Friends version is far superior to the one featured in Vocal Collection II.

Last edited by Angela (Jul 25, 2010)

By yuzoboy (Jul 25, 2010) (#46)

1. Final Fantasy VII - Tifa's Theme
(Listening to it just makes me want to sigh about the past years I played this game)

2. Streets of Rage 2 - Slow Moon
(brilliant track from Yuzo Koshiro)

3. Silent Hill 2 - Theme of Laura
(Akira's best track in the game IMO)

4. Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune - Blue Blazes
(Such a trancy floaty tune, that gives me the chills when it kicks in)

5. Final Fantasy XIII - Saber's Edge Boss Theme
(Masashi Hamauzu's best piece of music for me)

The nostalgic feeling the FF ost's have on me are too many to list, but these are the main ones:)

By vert1 (Jul 13, 2011) (#47)

"Eternal Glacies" from the Panzer Dragoon Orta soundtrack.

By manganzon81 (Aug 25, 2011) (#48)

Yuvraj wrote:

Oh, that would have to be Ys IV's "Temple of the Sun" (from Perfect Collection vol.3) . This might be the powerful track I've heard in vgm. And no it doesn't belong in my favorites list; I could count the number of times I've listened to this track on less than two hands. It's an experience that I savor. The whole album is godlike, but this track is the pinnacle.

Here here.  I've actually been listening to all of his Ys IV Perfect Collection albums the past few days.  That track is indeed incredible!  I'd really like to own actual copies of those albums!

By manganzon81 (Aug 25, 2011) (#49)

Excellent discussion! 

Dracula X (Turbo Duo Version) Bloodlines:  The very beginning of that song seeing it with the game always gave me chills when i first saw this game back in 93 at my neighbors head.  When that level name slides on screen and that awesome ambient synth begins.  Chills!

FF VII Opening~Bombing Mission:  The whole part in the beginning of intro where the camera is zooming out the city and the title comes up and quick cuts of train pulling into station as camera zooms back in to other side of city.  Euphoric!

Omega Five ~ Violent Guardian (Arranged version by Takanori Sato):  Awesome synth solos in this.  Chills!

All volumes of Perfect Collection Ys IV The Dawn of Ys - Ryo Yonemitsu:  No words to describe.  Just simply incredible.

XBox 360 Menu Music in Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (when you choose mode of game, ver 1.5, arrange, black label).  Just bought this game the other day and when this came on I was like "...wow"  Chills followed.

There's more but these are first that come to mind right now!

By vert1 (Aug 25, 2011) (#50)

"XBox 360 Menu Music in Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (when you choose mode of game, ver 1.5, arrange, black label).  Just bought this game the other day and when this came on I was like "...wow"  Chills followed."

That tune is great. I sent my copy of the game to someone to rip it (and then possibly put it up here for people to download). Still waiting on the rip. I'm amazed no one has ripped it on the internet from what I've seen.