NEW ALBANY, IN (Sept. 10, 2009) - Indiana University Southeast set an all-time high for enrollment for the fall 2009 semester.
With 6,840 students enrolled in fall 2009, IU Southeast toppled its previous enrollment record of 6,716 set in 2002. Total enrollment is 358 students higher than 2008's 6,482 for an increase of 5.5 percent.
The University also saw its largest freshman class in history - 1,094 first year beginners - beating last year's record of 1,070.
All of those students are taking more classes, as evidenced by IU Southeast recording the highest number of credit hours ever with 69,323.5 - an 8.2 percent increase over 2008.
Other records set in fall 2009 (enrollment category, total number, percentage increase over 2008) include:
- Largest beginning student enrollment: 1,627 (3 percent)
- Largest minority student enrollment: 673 (13.1 percent)
- Largest African American enrollment: 416 (5.6 percent)
- Largest Native American enrollment: 30 (7.1 percent)
- Largest Asian American enrollment: 108 (27.1 percent)
- Largest Hispanic enrollment: 119 (35.2 percent)
- Largest beginning minority student enrollment: 118 (15.7 percent)
- Largest non-resident enrollment: 2,138 (14.5 percent)
- Largest reciprocity enrollment: 2,052 (14.3 percent)
"The strong growth IU Southeast has experienced during the past two years undoubtedly is due to a number of factors, including the growing reputation of our campus, the student residence halls, our affordability, high-quality programming, and people's need to re-educate themselves for new jobs in recessionary times," Chancellor Sandra R. Patterson-Randles said in her annual state of campus address.
IU Southeast's financial support for students is also increasing. For the 2009-10 school year, disbursed financial aid is up 37 percent to a total of $12,660,423. The number of students receiving financial aid is up 688 students or 30 percent, and the number of FAFSAs received is up 22 percent.
About IU Southeast: IU Southeast is one of eight campuses of Indiana University. Offering more than 50 degree programs, the scenic 180-acre campus is located less than 15 minutes from downtown Louisville, Kentucky. It currently has an enrollment of more than 7,100 students and employs more than 400 faculty members. About 400 students now live on campus in five fully furnished, lodge-style residence halls. For more information, visit http://www.ius.edu. IU Southeast is a tobacco-free campus.