Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedRT @pczone: Have you signed up for Fight Club Live yet? Apply for tickets now and meet the team! https://www.futurecompetitions.com/figh ...
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Dragon's Lair iPhone screens | Scene It? Twilight screens | Heavy Rain boxart shows Origami | Tomb Raider dev looks to multiplayer | Mass Effect 2 - BioWare's best game yet | Infamous shifts over 1.2 million copies | Dead Space 2 - is this it? | Dead Rising 2 dev begins open world game? | Modern Warfare 2 update live on PS3 | Court ruling backs DS flash carts | Assassin's Creed 2 glitch breaks game | Alien Breed out December 16 | Guild Wars 2: Exclusive races reveal trailer! | Silent Hill: Shattered Memories gameplay trailer | PS video store update is decent | Rebellion "disappointed" with AVP Aussie ban | Majora's Masks was "turning point for Nintendo" | PSP Minis playable on PS3 soon? | EA launches branded prepaid debit card | Aliens vs. Predator banned in Australia | Shock: Mass Effect 2 comes on 2 discs | Uncharted 2 gets difficulty "experiment" this weekend | Medal of Honor release date clarified | New Nintendo downloads | Tales of Monkey Island catch-up movie
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Court ruling backs DS flash carts
View previous topic - View next topic  
oOPuPPeTOo
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Yea,,,,,, about time! every console should have Linux on them. Shocked
dark_gamer
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 6:31 pm Reply with quote

I can understand the judges point of view and in that sense agree with him/her. But am just wondering if he/she took into account their capabilities of pirating games as well?
altitude2k

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 6:42 pm Reply with quote

dark_gamer wrote:
I can understand the judges point of view and in that sense agree with him/her. But am just wondering if he/she took into account their capabilities of pirating games as well?

I agree. I think there should be plenty of opportunity to develop custom software, but without running the risk of promoting piracy or development of harmful code. XNA is a great example of this, providing a safe platform for would-be developers to show off their stuff.
bazzatuk

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 7:09 pm Reply with quote

This kinda of decision is going to hit paying consumers hard and move digital distribution forward.

If you can't beat the pirates then systems will see increased security next generation and maybe more consoles will go down the PSPGo route quicker than expected.

The main reason Nintendo is attacking this is piracy, and nobody is telling me that 99% of people purchasing these devices use them for anything other than piracy. Just like people who mod their XBoxes.

If we do see digi dist prices will be set and you can forget finding a bargain because you will only be able to buy the games direct.

In my eyes this is bad news.
oOPuPPeTOo

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Quote by bazzatuk
Quote:

Why? Almost every home in the UK has some way of ripping off Films or music yet people still buy them.
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 7:30 pm Reply with quote

Out-f*cking-standing!
bazzatuk

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 7:58 pm Reply with quote

oOPuPPeTOo wrote:
Quote by bazzatuk
Quote:

Why? Almost every home in the UK has some way of ripping off Films or music yet people still buy them.

You really need to ask why?

I gave my reasons above what you quoted!
oOPuPPeTOo

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 8:20 pm Reply with quote

I think you missed the point bazzatuk.
slothfull9
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Maybe Nintendo could try lowering the prices of their games ...
G_R7
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 9:06 pm Reply with quote

DSi and Wii Ware are for small time devolpers to make games for. R4 cards should be banned!
wiikii007

PostPosted: 4 Dec 09 10:50 pm Reply with quote

Well your all lucky I wasn't the judge. I would have been on nintendo's side 100%!!!

People getting thier hard work for free against their will is stealling as far as I am concerned! And not only that, it is completly unfair on those who buy DS games leagally.

It is a discrase and if I had my way, every single person who got caught getting ds games illegally would have to pay back double the retail price for each and very one of the games they downloaded.
moby_matt
Kudos: 34

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 1:26 am Reply with quote

One thing to consider is that most platforms have an opportunity to try a game via a demo. Could Nintendo not use this as an opportunity to get developers to put out a form of demo that can be used by these flash carts? Never know, might encourage a few sales...
lonewolf2002
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 2:19 am Reply with quote

Lol MSoft would have to unban 1 million 360's in that case. Can't see this being upheld myself as noted above it would open the consoles to piracy even easier than it is now.
WoW Realm=Stormrage Char=Loanwolf (human rogue)
jazzy_p

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 10:28 am Reply with quote

Not to make an obvious point but this was in France.
The day the British courts follow the French is the most likely the end of days
only_777
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 10:33 am Reply with quote

I hope machines in the future will adopt the same method as the PS3. Allow the use of Linux so home coders can do what they like. Nintendo have always been to worst to embrace homebrew stuff.
Although MS are better, they still suck when it comes to homebrew. XNA is very elitest and very hard to pull out of when you've had enough. There is only one way to cancel your XNA membership, and that is to phone MS up. Arseholes, that phone call took ages!
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 3:27 pm Reply with quote

It seems to me that some individuals are focusing only on the possibility of piracy with R4 cards. Try to consider the positives of this ruling: it now legally allows third parties to develop new software for the DS and for users to legitimately buy said software without actually being "pirates". This could be highly beneficial to all parties involved; the third party developers now have the freedom to develop for the handheld without being at the mercy of Nintendo, the customers can now look forward to more software in various forms - some of which may end up being in styles that Nintendo would not have considered or allowed in the past - and it might also result in better prices for the customers since it can increase competition. Finally, Nintendo could also stand to benefit from this if it chooses to use it as a marketing point (i.e. "Look kids! Our handheld can now also be used with X amount of other stuff!) which may result in even more DS sales.

Technology and tools always possess the ability to be used for good or evil. It's referred to as "dual use". If you only focus on what might be done with something in a negative light without also considering the potential positive gains, then you essentially end up suffocating innovation. Besides, do you really want a single company to have a monopoly on any given platform?
geedle
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 7:25 pm Reply with quote

A majority of the DS stuff is utter drivel, and charging 29.99 for games like this is a criminal act in itself. If nintendo genuinally Want to stamp out piracy they should look at apples model, some great games at no more than 5.99, a lot of which are better than their DS equivelent
geedle

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 7:26 pm Reply with quote

A majority of the DS stuff is utter drivel, and charging 29.99 for games like this is a criminal act in itself. If nintendo genuinally Want to stamp out piracy they should look at apples model, some great games at no more than 5.99, a lot of which are better than their DS equivelent
geedle

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 7:28 pm Reply with quote

geedle

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 7:30 pm Reply with quote

geedle

geedle

justy_uk
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 5 Dec 09 8:41 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, think you made your point Geedle! Lol...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: