Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feed... and here's our Nintendo DSi XL review: http://bit.ly/5MjSCn
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
Pandemic takes revenge... on EA printer | Nintendo DSi video shows unboxing | MS declines to comment on PGR 5 report | Assassins Creed 2 glyphs guide | Modern Warfare criticised for violating Geneva Conventions | Exclusive Nintendo DSi XL comparison shots | Bayonetta demo dated for Dec 3 | Modern Warfare 2 holds off Assassin's Creed II, NSMBW | US Nintendo downloads: Super Mario Kart wins | Miyamoto: Nintendo wouldn't employ me now | MI5 plans Xbox Live ads | Zelda: Ocarina of Time "not that good" - Aonuma | Cross-platform PSN a "differentiator for Sony" - Hirai | Project Gotham Racing 5 outed? | Natal details coming in Feb | Diablo 3 release date "not next year" | BioWare working on original IP | Super Mario Kart headed to VC | MAG beta extended | Miyamoto: "I don't think everything needs to be 3D" | Mass Effect 2 "surprise" this week | 2K's Spec Ops leaks in video | Nintendo DSi XL launches in Japan | Nintendo launches paid video content on Wii | Left 4 Dead 2 patch is out
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
Steam dominates 70% of PC download market
View previous topic - View next topic  
feedel
Kudos: 7

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Been with steam for over 5 years now, since 1.6 came to steam.

But i think steam would not be what it is now without Half life..

SO BRING ME HALF LIFE EP 3 PLEASE...

either way i'm currently in posession of 50 + steam games, and there is no distributor as good as them.

i've used d2d once, and they were ok, but steam .. well is just so easy to use, communicate, and manage all your games.
lordirongut
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Steam fails at existence. i can't stand it, it takes forever and a day to download patches and updates, everything is overpriced and some games force it on you. I bought Empire: Total War on release and it was three hours before Steam decided that I could use it. i don't like the other work of Valve either.
robertboekee
Kudos: 29

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 4:29 pm Reply with quote

I would also like HL 2 Ep 3, I'm fed with waiting for it now, no news, no screenshots since that crappy one of GF back in Oct 2007, it's driving me mad, maybe if we set up some sort of boycot like some people did for L4D 2 we can make them give some kind of update... I'm joking about a boycot by the way, I'd crack as soon the game came out!!!

Oh and I use steam, I tried D2D once but wasn't all that impressed, although it is good valve have some competition.
snips10
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 5:01 pm Reply with quote

I have been with Steam since HL2 was released all those years ago. I've watch as it's gradually improved over the years to what it has become. It is easily the best digital distribution platform on the PC. I just wish they would change that horrible default colour scheme!
badgerpog
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 5:11 pm Reply with quote

#snips10 - you can change it in settings.

I think Steam is fantastic. I like that all updates are taken care of without having to search the internet (or rely PCZone cover disk), and the seamless integration with chat.

The only problem have is the slowdown on game release dates. If only they'd get some European servers. (In the UK, with me managing?)
Very Happy
TheTingler
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 5:25 pm Reply with quote

I can believe the Steam dominance, but Stardock in second place? Let me be the first to say: b******s. Not a chance. Direct2Drive I could believe, even Metaboli, but I've barely even heard of Impulse, and I wouldn't trust Stardock with my money. Have anyone else here heard of Impulse, much less bought from them?
Mowds
Kudos: 3

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 6:02 pm Reply with quote

I use both Steam and Impulse and found both of them satisfactory, although I do like the fact that Impulse is less intrusive (it doesn't load up every time you start a game you bought on it).

I think Impulse is less known here in Europe, although 10% overall market share sounds plausible.

In general though I tend to opt for boxed copies of games as they're usually cheaper, so with digital distribution you're in fact paying more for less!
runadumb
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Ive got over 80 games on steam now. Decided this year to purchase most of my games through it. Its just so handy with patches and friendslist. I will say that most of those where bought during the sales.
I also dont buy a game from steam unless its CHEAPER than the boxed version.Laughed at DOW2's half price sale which was still �8 more expensive than play. Waiting on sales for (among others)Resident Evil 5 call of jurez and Red Faction now.

EDIT:Oh just checked price of red faction. �34.99 on steam and �12.99 (with expansion pack) from play. Hmmmm screw it buying the boxed version instead. Thats madness but all to common with steams pricing
pR!M8
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Steam is great when its all working nicely but can be a complete nightmare if things go wrong.

Ive been using steam since HL2 was first released and it has come on leaps and bounds since then with plenty of community features and a very large catalogue of games that will just keep growing and growing.

Thing is the only games i have bought through steam are valves own games. The reason? Price.

Most, if not all non-valve games are, as been said above, overpriced and i can buy them cheaper elsewhere. Which i do.

Im not blaming Valve for this as it could well be the other publishers that are setting the price i just dont know.

People may argue the fact that you are paying a premium for the ease of purchasing and downloading them. The convenience of having them ready to 'unlock' and play as soon as they are released and also the fact that the games DL and update itself etc.

Strong arguments and I admit these are great features but i wouldn't pay MORE for the same product i could easily purchase just as conveniently from an online retailer and still receive the game on the release date or earlier (most times 1, 2 days even a week in a few cases).

As for the 'auto-update' well, that is a lot easier and convenient through steam but it still doesn't constitute a price premium for me as a lot of games now have an auto-update link built into the game or at least send you to the official site to DL the update/patch.

This is my thoughts on steam as ive hardly, if ever used other platforms to DL games, not that i haven't looking into it with the games i want to purchase mind you.

At the end of the day its down to your personal preference whether you purchase through steam/impulse/D2D, a publishers own site (i bought DA:O direct from EA as it was the best deal for the deluxe edition i could find at the time) or like i do with 90% of my purchases from a retailer.

I do worry though that if all games end up digital download only in the future there wont be enough competition with just 3 main digital distributors there are currently...
lmimmfn
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 10:37 pm Reply with quote

the single biggest problem with Steam is NOT BEING ABLE TO SELL GAMES ON, 2nd biggest problem is the ripoff prices, bar weekend deals everytings much more expensive than retail since they now quote euro and Stg
syphilis
Kudos: 18

PostPosted: 20 Nov 09 11:55 pm Reply with quote

I've never used Steam, I bought Galactic Civilizations II off Impulse and that's it. Actually, I then bought the box and cds to go with it.

The only thing that has any possibility of coming into my possession via digital download in the foreseeable future is Elemental. Again, via Impulse.
jubbgi01
Kudos: 31

PostPosted: 21 Nov 09 12:11 am Reply with quote

I started with steam in 2002-3 I think, when it was required to participate in the CS 1.6 beta. That was a right laugh. It would freak out all the time. It was purely a patching system at the time. It has been very flakey in the past, but I couldn't be without it now. I only ever buy when things are on special, but I still have some 40 games in my list. I never trade in old pc games, so resale is no issue for me.
As for other systems. I've had metaboli and gametap, but I always went back to steam.
Sirrus
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 21 Nov 09 3:16 am Reply with quote

I guess I am one of those weird people who have absolutely no problem with steam. Never had an issue, download speeds are acceptable, and frankly, their selection is incredible. And they crank out some very nice deals.

I do like Impulse, and use it too, but really they just don't match Steam in most categories.

Now, feel free to remind me how bad Steam sucks. Very Happy
azmza
Kudos: 11

PostPosted: 21 Nov 09 12:42 pm Reply with quote

I wonder what will happen when Onlive services start i think they will change the way of PC games, and steam will face the new monester Twisted Evil , nothing will stay in top always.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: