Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedBusting the myths of Modern Warfare 2: It turns out you CAN kill someone with a fire hydrant... http://bit.ly/7gRfYA
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsStore
Modern Warfare 2: "Lots of updates in works" | Banjo-Kazooie in Sega All-Stars Racing confirmed? | 360 update goes live for under 18s Facebook in US | Viva Pinata on demand | LittleBigPlanet Pirates Of The Caribbean pack detailed | 16th Everquest expansion released | Battlefield: Bad Company 2 beta details | Heavy Rain to break PS3 Trophy rules | Europa Universalis III add-on released | Australian Golden Joystick winners announced | Red Dead Redemption: Four-minute video | Halo Reach trailer "actually from the game" | Martinet: "The voice is always in my head" | Bethesda snatches Rage from EA | 1 million copies of FFXIII shipped | EA: "We wouldn't have done" MW2 airport scene | Modern Warfare 2 unlimited ammo glitch attacks | Modern Warfare 2 2009's best selling game | Christmas Day downloads for Wii and DSi | Shadow of the Colossus up for re-release | SingStar Viewer coming to PS3 | Exclusive GT5 gameplay videos | Nintendo trademarks 'Zii' (and 'Bii', 'Yii') | Batman: Arkham has "run its course" | Final Fantasy XIII screenshots have English
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
L4D2 boycott group: "We succeeded"
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
The_KFD_Case
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 11:31 am Reply with quote

Predictable responses from both sides of the debate. While it is certainly possible that a sell-out took place, it is also entirly plausible that the head honchos of the boycott movement are of the genuine impression that their main objectives have been reached. If that is the case then there really is no reason to keep the boycott going from a rational perspective. The flip side of the proverbial coin being that I suspect for a great many people personal feelings have now become involved and that scenario plays out entirely differently than the calculated and logical responses one can expect from the rational perspective.
GTCzeero
Kudos: 15

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 11:32 am Reply with quote

So their initial aim was to prevent the community to be split between the two games, but with content being released for L4D and the imminent release of L4D2, won't the die-hard boycotters remain on the first game while everyone else moves on to the next game? What exactly did they achieve?
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 39

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 11:33 am Reply with quote

"Valve recently flew the group's two masterminds, 'Walking Target' and 'Agent of Chaos' to its Seattle offices and they had a change of heart. Now the boycott's dead."

Right on! Power to the People! Oh wait a minute, there flying us up to Valves offices, first class? Then were staying in a 5* Hotel and getting to play the Game and getting free copies of Games and other stuff?

Yeah thats right, Power to the People after we get a free junket out of them.

You have to love the internet!
Dajmin
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 11:41 am Reply with quote

The sickly smell of corruption. They were bought off, simple as. Valve treated them, gave them free stuff and then watched them fold like wet cardboard.

Morals are only good until you hit the bottom line. They're getting free copies of the game, they've got serious limited edition stuff, they got semi-famous for the trouble. So they don't care any more that other people will still get screwed over, because they're not in that situation any more.

I'd like to say that I wouldn't have been won over so easily, but I'm pretty sure I'd have caved too.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 11:43 am Reply with quote

GTCzeero wrote:
So their initial aim was to prevent the community to be split between the two games, but with content being released for L4D and the imminent release of L4D2, won't the die-hard boycotters remain on the first game while everyone else moves on to the next game? What exactly did they achieve?

This.

"Our goal wasn't to steer people away from L4D2, it was to get Valve's attention and have them support original L4D. We succeeded and that's where our mission ends; nothing more or less.

"The recently released Crash Course was just the start. Future updates will continue to roll in, and 4v4 matchmaking is first in line. Valve has confirmed to us that it'll be available before the release of L4D2.

"Also don't forget, we have another DLC pack confirmed for sometime in the near future and of course, there will be bug fixes. This is as good as it can get people.

The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 11:47 am Reply with quote

Dajmin wrote:
The sickly smell of corruption. They were bought off, simple as. Valve treated them, gave them free stuff and then watched them fold like wet cardboard.

Morals are only good until you hit the bottom line. They're getting free copies of the game, they've got serious limited edition stuff, they got semi-famous for the trouble. So they don't care any more that other people will still get screwed over, because they're not in that situation any more.

I'd like to say that I wouldn't have been won over so easily, but I'm pretty sure I'd have caved too.

Aye, it can be a tough call I imagine. Again though, it may not be a case of just selling out. Since Valve has already confirmed that they will be releasing new content for L4D1, that addresses the main reason for the boycott as I understood it. It wasn't about L4D2 being released too soon per se; it was the preception amongst some that L4D was being abandoned by Valve with unfulfilled promises that led some to buy the game. I sympathize with their frustration and I'm pleased to see that Valve appears willing to uphold its promises.
DrRickDagless MD
Kudos: 19

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Sorry but I don't buy into the succeded part. It seems to me that valve were doing all of what they promised before the 'boycot' and haven't done anything more or less.

Nothings changed for me. They always support their games.

What a waste of time.
Little Franklin
Kudos: 21

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 12:11 pm Reply with quote

I don't believe L4D will really see much support, certainly not like Team Fortress 2, they'll release one new, short, basic campaign like 'Crash Course' and that'll be it. After that all future manpower will go into L4D3 Sad
Little Franklin

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like they've achieved anything to me. My problem with it is there will be much fewer people playing the first L4D. If they had L4D2 as some sort of add-on or even just had it launch from the same menu screen I'd probably be happy. Things like WoW, TF2, and Counter-Strike are great because there're always plenty of people playing, where as most L4D players will probably have moved on to L4D2. Maybe there will still be some players around, but they'll probably all be douchebags.
quintus
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 12:30 pm Reply with quote

they succeeded? No, it was more like Valve succeeded in showing the 'boycott masterminds' that they were being childish and that making a sequel so close to an original isn't just copy and paste. It's a shame Valve had to spend money to make these guys see logic but at least they eventually saw through their own pathetic argument.

Little Franklin wrote:
Doesn't seem like they've achieved anything to me. My problem with it is there will be much fewer people playing the first L4D. If they had L4D2 as some sort of add-on or even just had it launch from the same menu screen I'd probably be happy. Things like WoW, TF2, and Counter-Strike are great because there're always plenty of people playing, where as most L4D players will probably have moved on to L4D2. Maybe there will still be some players around, but they'll probably all be douchebags.

Why don't you move on to L4D2 as well then? otherwise you seem to lumping yourself with the 'douchebags', lol. Of course there will be players on the servers, some people who own L4D2 will always want to play the original levels, i know that i would.
G00N3R
Kudos: 22

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 12:34 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Our goal wasn't to steer people away from L4D2

Erm, isn't that the definition of what you do if you ask people to boycott something? LOL.
yuzi87
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 12:44 pm Reply with quote

lol im sorry but who in their right mind would stay and play l4d1 when everyone will be running round with chainsaws and grenade launchers in l4d2. for me fun beats principles and morals
biscuit
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Wasn't the whole point of the boycott to not buy the game?

So how could they "succeed in their mission" before the game's release?

I suppose they haven't bought it...
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 1:16 pm Reply with quote

yuzi87 wrote:
lol im sorry but who in their right mind would stay and play l4d1 when everyone will be running round with chainsaws and grenade launchers in l4d2. for me fun beats principles and morals

...And that's how unscrupolous companies win. A sad day when integrity is sold as cheaply as the price of a game.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 1:18 pm Reply with quote

biscuit wrote:

Again, that wasn't the purpose of the boycott. Boycotting as an action in-and-of-itself was never the original point of the matter. It was simply a means to an end.

"Our goal wasn't to steer people away from L4D2, it was to get Valve's attention and have them support original L4D. We succeeded and that's where our mission ends; nothing more or less.

"The recently released Crash Course was just the start. Future updates will continue to roll in, and 4v4 matchmaking is first in line. Valve has confirmed to us that it'll be available before the release of L4D2.

"Also don't forget, we have another DLC pack confirmed for sometime in the near future and of course, there will be bug fixes. This is as good as it can get people."

kimoak
Kudos: 30

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 1:29 pm Reply with quote

The_KFD_Case wrote:
biscuit wrote:

Again, that wasn't the purpose of the boycott. Boycotting as an action in-and-of-itself was never the original point of the matter. It was simply a means to an end.

"Also don't forget, we have another DLC pack confirmed for sometime in the near future and of course, there will be bug fixes. This is as good as it can get people."

So reading what you quote there. I take it this new stuff for the original wasn't planned and these boys are taking credit for new content? I am not too up to date on what Valves intentions when gearing up for the sequel, you see. If that's the case, they have made a bit of progress there.
Jensonjet
Kudos: 24

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 2:05 pm Reply with quote

I bet every single member of this so-called L4D2 boycott group buy the sequel. It's absolutely guaranteed. All of them are so obsessed with the game, they'll all be first in the queue come release day.

Valve and every other sane gamer knew this campaign would disolve into nothing. Two of them got to suck up to Valve. Not sure what the rest thought they'd get out of this. A new friend maybe? Surely they didn't think a successful business would care about empty threats from a bunch of teenagers. How deluded must they be to think Valve would scrap, or delay, a game because it upsets them.
DrRickDagless MD

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 2:50 pm Reply with quote

...And that's how unscrupolous companies win. A sad day when integrity is sold as cheaply as the price of a game.[/quote]

My god what are you saying. Are you that involved in the world of vidoegames that it's that important to you. Life moves on, industry moves on good companies go bad, bad companies come good.

To say they have lost integrity. In what way?
That's how unscrupolous companies win? What have they got a bunch of sweat-shop children de-bugging the code or something.

Just because it doesn't conform to your 'moral videogame code of practice' doesn't make moaning (or in this case hyperboling) about it justifed.

Sadly the majority always win in cases like this.
Yes the general public may be stupid for buying the new game for all the reasons you claim but they don't care.

I think games play a big part in the lives of the people on these forums (and mine) but some people have to realise that the industry doesn't belong to us. We simply partake in it and I'm just happy it exsists. Don't get me wrong there should be a diologue with the consumer but not like this.

When a company does this it's up to them to decide if it's right. There are loads of people out there that aren't you. Sometimes life is pap.
ronin Ithikus
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Reading between the lines it sounds to me like these two were bought off by Valve and shafted the rest of them.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:31 pm Reply with quote

kimoak wrote:
The_KFD_Case wrote:
biscuit wrote:

So reading what you quote there. I take it this new stuff for the original wasn't planned and these boys are taking credit for new content? I am not too up to date on what Valves intentions when gearing up for the sequel, you see. If that's the case, they have made a bit of progress there.

I'm not sure that's what they are claiming. IIRC, what the boycotters wanted was for Valve to honour its promises of improved content. In that sense they aren't claiming to get Valve to make new things for them that weren't already planned, but rather to get Valve to finally create the promised material which Valve seemed to have conveniently pushed under the rug once it focused on L4D2...Speaking of things pushed under the rug, where is HL2 Episode 3?!
Little Franklin

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:35 pm Reply with quote

quintus wrote:
Why don't you move on to L4D2 as well then? otherwise you seem to lumping yourself with the 'douchebags', lol. Of course there will be players on the servers, some people who own L4D2 will always want to play the original levels, i know that i would.
yuzi87 wrote:
Sad
It just seems like I'm being forced to buy a new game in order to keep playing the game I already own. Imagine if they put out a new CounterStrike every year. I like my games to have a long life, so I can go back to them later if I want.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Jensonjet wrote:
I bet every single member of this so-called L4D2 boycott group buy the sequel. It's absolutely guaranteed. All of them are so obsessed with the game, they'll all be first in the queue come release day.

Valve and every other sane gamer knew this campaign would disolve into nothing. Two of them got to suck up to Valve. Not sure what the rest thought they'd get out of this. A new friend maybe? Surely they didn't think a successful business would care about empty threats from a bunch of teenagers. How deluded must they be to think Valve would scrap, or delay, a game because it upsets them.

Well, apparently Valve did take it serious enough to arrange for an all-expenses-paid trip for the two leaders of the boycott movement. Whether it was a pure publicity stunt to garner good will with the fans, or whether it was a genuine demonstration of caring about what these fans were concerned about, it was certainly a direct response to their protests. Personally I think it was a mix of PR and genuine concern from Valve. The one thing that I can guarantee you - besides death and taxes - is that if you do nothing to pursue your goals at key moments, then you are much less likely to succeed.
The_KFD_Case

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:38 pm Reply with quote

DrRickDagless MD wrote:
...And that's how unscrupolous companies win. A sad day when integrity is sold as cheaply as the price of a game.

My god what are you saying. Are you that involved in the world of vidoegames that it's that important to you. Life moves on, industry moves on good companies go bad, bad companies come good.

<snip>
[/quote]

It would appear you misread what I typed. I was implying that the poster, and those whom share his/her point of view, have sold their integrity when they declare that a moment of fun and entertainment is more important to them than morals and principles. At the cost of the price of a video game I continue to contend that, that is a very cheap price indeed for one's integrity.
DrRickDagless MD

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The_KFD_Case wrote:
DrRickDagless MD wrote:

<snip>

It would appear you misread what I typed. I was implying that the poster, and those whom share his/her point of view, have sold their integrity when they declare that a moment of fun and entertainment is more important to them than morals and principles. At the cost of the price of a video game I continue to contend that, that is a very cheap price indeed for one's integrity.
[/quote]

I stand completly corrected and agree with your comment. (tho in the context that i originaly understood the post i stand by my opinions)

But I will say that that view should not be linked with valves decision to release another game.
I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing (which doesn't make it right).

Last edited by DrRickDagless MD on 14 Oct 09 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
svd_grasshopper

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 3:49 pm Reply with quote

imagine going over there, previously only known as a username...

"hi, im agent of chaos"

"im walking target".

these people need shot. even accepting the trip over was caving in. gimps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: