Login to access exclusive gaming content, win competition prizes
and post on our forums. Don't have an account? Create one now!
Why should you join?
Click here for full benefits!
Follow our Twitter feedHeavy Rain preview is in the house(!)
SIGN IN/JOIN UP
GamesForumsCheatsVideo
3D laptops shown by Nvidia | MW2 smashes Call of Duty 4 | Banned Xbox modders NOT one-million | Final Fantasy CC: Crystal Bearers release date | Steam dominates 70% of PC download market | PlayStation Platforms Dominate In Japan | Modern Warfare 2 video shows new gameplay modes? | Darksiders 'The Horseman's Road' Trailer | Nintendo downloads: Pokémon, Uno | Bayonetta review: 10/10 "flawless" | Worms 2: Armageddon update released | Government recruiting soldiers over Xbox Live | Kaz Hirai: PS3 to hit 13 million early next year | New Halo, Shadow Complex and Gears... on cards | Zelda mystery: internet speculation 1 truth 0 | Dark Elves enter the Blood Bowl arena | Dragon Age: Origins DLC revealed | Download Saints Row 2 on Xbox Live next week | StarCraft 2 gameplay screenshots | Aliens vs. Predator WILL support dedicated servers | Modern Warfare 2 zombies could've happened | Kane & Lynch 2 gameplay info is in | BioShock 2 special edition detailed | Star Trek Online beta details | Army of Two 2: Pimp my weaponry
All|PC|PlayStation|Xbox|Nintendo|Download PC Games
Search CVG
Computer And Video Games - The latest gaming news, reviews, previews & movies
PSN to go "paid subscription" route?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic - View next topic  
Mark240473
Kudos: 37

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 2:48 pm Reply with quote

My guess is that Sony will either charge a fee to those who want to use the forthcoming cross-game chat feature. Or, it could simply be that subscription service that was talked about months ago, where you pay a monthly fee and recieve so many PSN titles.

I'm certain it'll be one of the two.
roger4000
Kudos: 33

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 2:50 pm Reply with quote

they wont get a penny from my pocket for sure. i'll stick to xbox live only.
lmimmfn
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 2:54 pm Reply with quote

if i have to pay a sub to play online on the PS3 i'll be getting rid of it.
ensabahnur

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Well if they do go sub based for PSN then thats gonna be a big kick in the teeth to the people who opted for PS3 for the free online and the people who cancelled their Live subs cause they could use the PSN for free.
They've been touting the free aspect from day 1 as a advantage over the Xbox so i can't really see them going back on their word, as said this may well be for some kind of MMO or some other service.

If they were to go sub based for PSN i'd just stick with Live seeing as any multiformat MP game i get is bought for the 360 with the PS3 picking up the majority of my single player games, though i would miss playing Uncharted 2 online.
Mark240473

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Calm down, chaps. It's a little early for conspiracy theories, don't you think?

Laughing
bennyboi1979
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:01 pm Reply with quote

They will never charge like M$, this must be for something we have not heard of yet!! Maybe something like Quore???
Osiris25
Kudos: 20

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:04 pm Reply with quote

Get your knifes at the ready peopl, this one could be brutal!

Sony do have a couple of MMO's for the PS3 in production but you generally pay for those anyway so I don't see them appling an additional charge for that. Maybe its for certain features of PSN. If however they are charging for games online it could have a small backfire effect in that anyone already paying for xbox live who owns a PS3 is unlikey to want to pay for PSN as well, in which case they may start buying their games for Xbox and shun the PS3. That just a thought not a damning of the PS3 or anything to that effect for the fanboys out there.
StonecoldMC
Kudos: 39

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:11 pm Reply with quote

bennyboi1979 wrote:
They will never charge like M$, this must be for something we have not heard of yet!! Maybe something like Quore???

I wonder, if this is true will you start to call Sony, $ony?

Probably not, eh?
Dajmin
Kudos: 38

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:11 pm Reply with quote

Tough call for Sony. They must know their online system is well behind XBL, but Live has been around longer to establish itself. Without that funding, would Live be the top-notch service it is?

Free PSN access is currently about the only definite point they have over MS. Now that hardware reliability seems to be sorted and the games lists are pretty balanced, anyway.

Can they do right for themselves (by funding bigger and better servers) at the same time as doing right by the players (by keeping it free)?
Tough call, I don't envy them.
voodoo341

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:17 pm Reply with quote

lmimmfn wrote:

I thought you didn't go online with you PS3 as it is.
Wozzakl
Kudos: 32

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:18 pm Reply with quote

Wouldn't waste money on it, same as I wouldn't to share space with MSgeeks.
bunneyo
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:18 pm Reply with quote

i hope they dont charge us, but then again il happly give sony a fiver a year for a better network lol
monty_79
Kudos: 28

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:21 pm Reply with quote

They are bound to start charging for PSN online play, surely? Live has proved that it is a valuble revenue stream, so surely they would be foolish (froma shareholder/corporate point of view) not to?

Also, anyone who says they 'wouldn't go back on their word' are living in dream land. If they can monetise it, they will.
gogo65uk
Kudos: 27

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:29 pm Reply with quote

I don't mind if it improves things slightly but live didn't really do anything to justify their charges. Hence why I cancelled it. Personally I think it would be a bad move. But the recent figures showing 31 million PSN users made a $$ appear in their eyes. Laughing
steve_2003
Kudos: 35

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Microsoft realised at the start that the only way an online service could survive & prosper is by way of an annual charge, a charge that I feel is a bargain for the services given.
The losses Sony announced earlier this year make it a certainty that a charged PSN service will soon be here. I don't think I'll be coughing up yet another charge for Sony's "catch-up" service on my PS3 though, sorry. Confused
l87ry
Kudos: 26

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:30 pm Reply with quote

What makes Xbox Live better than PSN?
StonecoldMC

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:33 pm Reply with quote

l87ry wrote:

42?
Mark240473

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:36 pm Reply with quote

l87ry wrote:

It's more expensive. Wink

Seriously though, keep up the good work guy's!

If you put it into context (take a look at the screenshot) it seems to me that it will indeed be the subscription for PSN games, that was rumoured many months ago.

I very much doubt that Sony will charge for online play.

EDIT: Just updated. There you go. Calm down. Wink

Last edited by Mark240473 on 19 Nov 09 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
voodoo341

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:37 pm Reply with quote

l87ry wrote:

Ice cream, it makes everything better
martb
Kudos: 6

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
If however they are charging for games online it could have a small backfire effect in that anyone already paying for xbox live who owns a PS3 is unlikey to want to pay for PSN as well, in which case they may start buying their games for Xbox and shun the PS3. That just a thought not a damning of the PS3 or anything to that effect for the fanboys out there.

Youve hit the nail on the head thats exactly what id do.
bunneyo
Kudos: 25

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:40 pm Reply with quote

well seems as this as been updated, i get where sony are coming from now, for example, they mite incorperate a subscription service where like with this new video rental/buy service, you can pay a monthly fee and rent so many or as many films as you want, which could bring the price point cheaper were as if you rented a movie and only pay the single fee everytime u did so, if thats what their getting at then it sounds cool and better for us! intresting stuff, it would be awesome if they could do online game rental aswell, imagine that, the new AC2 game comes out and you could play it for a day or 2 and then given the choice to buy the full game afterwards, way ahead of its time in the sense of downloading a full new game, but i defo think its sumthing they should look into, they could even sell the games themselves, cheaper priced even and send them to you in the post if you preferred the disc version!

Last edited by bunneyo on 19 Nov 09 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
bennyboi1979
Kudos: 23

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:49 pm Reply with quote

As i said above!!! Thanks for clarifying Sony.
lmimmfn
Kudos: 36

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:50 pm Reply with quote

voodoo341 wrote:
lmimmfn wrote:

I thought you didn't go online with you PS3 as it is.

rarely do because the wifi is crap on it( not an issue with my router as 2 laptops and 2 PCs never have an issue with it ), and theres no exclusive on it that id like to play online, GT5 might change that, its not the point though as i will never pay subs for that and the potential of not being able ot play online at all makes it pretty useless.
Anyway its been clarified so no worries.
Mark240473

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:54 pm Reply with quote

The sound of coughing and feet (with the word BAM! underneath) shuffling off into the distance, tails tucked firmly between legs......

Wink
voodoo341

PostPosted: 19 Nov 09 3:59 pm Reply with quote

lmimmfn wrote:

rarely do because the wifi is crap on it( not an issue with my router as 2 laptops and 2 PCs never have an issue with it ), and theres no exclusive on it that id like to play online, GT5 might change that, its not the point though as i will never pay subs for that and the potential of not being able ot play online at all makes it pretty useless.
Anyway its been clarified so no worries.

There you go, you wont have to pay for a service you never use anyway. Happy days.

Anyone else look at the slides and see the one about 3D games coming next year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Article Comments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: