You Are In:  Home > Forums > Media and Digital TV Forums > Radio > Karen Carpenter radio interview: who's the interviewer ?
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Radio For discussion of radio stations, programming, and digital radio technologies.

Old 06-11-2009, 23:39   #1
Occ Vis
Forum Member

Karen Carpenter radio interview: who's the interviewer ?

Can anyone identify the interviewer and radio station for this radio interview with Karen Carpenter from the late 1970s ?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6QLJfS...eature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SNKlxq...eature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Otm6...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJFNsxxKte8&fmt=18

Can anybody also explain the ringing doorbell ?

Thanks in advance
Occ Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:26   #2
Tabbythecat
Forum Member

Services: Virgin Media Broadband 4MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occ Vis View Post
Can anyone identify the interviewer and radio station for this radio interview with Karen Carpenter from the late 1970s ?

Thanks in advance
It sounds a bit like Johnny Walker
Tabbythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:47   #3
Enjayveebe
Forum Member

It sounds to me like Steve Jones. If so, I suppose the station would be Radio Clyde. Perhaps the lack of identification was for syndication purposes.
Enjayveebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 13:49   #4
Arthur Pringle
Forum Member

To me it sounds a bit like Rob Jones, then of Radio City, Ray Moore interviewed her around the same time as well, though these clips are not Ray
Arthur Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 14:25   #5
amstereofan
Forum Member

Yes it has to be a young sounding Steve Jones who sure can waffle ! Heard him on LBC a few years ago
amstereofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 14:28   #6
tomvoxx
Forum Member

Services: Sky+HD; Sky BB Unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjayveebe View Post
It sounds to me like Steve Jones. If so, I suppose the station would be Radio Clyde. Perhaps the lack of identification was for syndication purposes.
I agree that it sounds like Steve Jones and the time scale would be right for Radio Clyde BUT the "Karen Carpenter In England" opening title would give the lie to this although as Steve Jones worked a lot on ITV shows from London in that time then it's feasible. The tape sounds a little fast to my ears. Listen especially to the vocals on "Solitaire" in Part 3 - pure chipmunks!! The Mickey's 50th anniversary celebration referred to was in 1978 as was the Bruce Forsyth show so 1978 sounds good to me for the interview date. I'm also inclined towards the editing sounding as if it was designed for syndication (no station idents). It's certainly interesting to hear and I wouldn't mind getting hold of a first generation copy of this one.
tomvoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 15:24   #7
Occ Vis
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstereofan View Post
Yes it has to be a young sounding Steve Jones who sure can waffle ! Heard him on LBC a few years ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvoxx View Post
I agree that it sounds like Steve Jones and the time scale would be right for Radio Clyde BUT the "Karen Carpenter In England" opening title would give the lie to this although as Steve Jones worked a lot on ITV shows from London in that time then it's feasible. The tape sounds a little fast to my ears. Listen especially to the vocals on "Solitaire" in Part 3 - pure chipmunks!! The Mickey's 50th anniversary celebration referred to was in 1978 as was the Bruce Forsyth show so 1978 sounds good to me for the interview date. I'm also inclined towards the editing sounding as if it was designed for syndication (no station idents). It's certainly interesting to hear and I wouldn't mind getting hold of a first generation copy of this one.
Thanks that is interesting to know

Do you happen to know why what sounds like a doorbell rings at the end of one of the segments ?

On another forum someone thought it might be someone called David Wigg.
Old 07-11-2009, 17:45   #8
Enjayveebe
Forum Member

They are probably reading the newsletter at http://www.karencarpenter.com/newsletters79.html saying that David Wigg did a press interview with Karen when visiting England in December 1978.

David Wigg wrote for the Daily Express and London Evening News, so I presume his interview appeared in one of these. He also did interviews for the BBC, but the interview on YouTube has commericial breaks.
Enjayveebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 23:42   #9
Occ Vis
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjayveebe View Post
They are probably reading the newsletter at http://www.karencarpenter.com/newsletters79.html saying that David Wigg did a press interview with Karen when visiting England in December 1978.

David Wigg wrote for the Daily Express and London Evening News, so I presume his interview appeared in one of these. He also did interviews for the BBC, but the interview on YouTube has commericial breaks.
Assuming then that it was Steve Jones that did the interview, do you happen to know what he is doing now ?
Old 08-11-2009, 00:52   #10
Ennerjee
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occ Vis View Post
Assuming then that it was Steve Jones that did the interview, do you happen to know what he is doing now ?
It definitely sounds like a young Steve Jones from Radio Clyde. He went on to compere "Search for a Star" on ITV in the mid-'80s. Then he turned up on LBC in London before doing overnights on TalkSPORT for a short time until Mike Mendoza took over.

He used to do weekend breakfast on LBC in the late '90s and spent the week days at his home in France, so I guess he spends a lot of time over there.
Ennerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 14:55   #11
Golden Brown
Forum Member

And who could forget Steve Jones presenting the original version of 'The Pyramid Game' on ITV!
Golden Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 16:55   #12
PhilH
Forum Member

Services: Sky Digital, Freeview, BT Openworld ADSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Brown View Post
And who could forget Steve Jones presenting the original version of 'The Pyramid Game' on ITV!
More to the point, who could forget those ma-hoo-sive specs he used to wear?

Great voice, though.

Last edited by PhilH : 08-11-2009 at 16:57. Reason: Punctuation!
PhilH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:41   #13
Occ Vis
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH View Post
More to the point, who could forget those ma-hoo-sive specs he used to wear?

Great voice, though.
What's even stranger about the specs is that we watched programmes like that thinking such things as perfectly normal.

Thanks for the input on the mystery interviewer guys, much appreciated