You Are In:  Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > TV Programmes > The Family - C4 Documentary
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TV Programmes Discuss TV shows past, present and future.

Old 03-09-2008, 19:19   #1
*Eva*
Forum Member

The Family - C4 Documentary

I see C4 have a new documentary coming soon called 'The Family'. The camera crew film one family for 24 hours a day over a 4 month period. However some of the figures are really interesting: eg 17% of people say that being a parent is not what they expected it to be. Is that lower than you thought it would be or higher? 98% of teenagers say they love their parents !!!! That's surprising...
If you get the chance have a look at the sit - it's quite uplifting to see what people really think.

http://www.channel4.com/health/micro...ry2/page7.html.
*Eva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 20:22   #2
Babelicious
Forum Member

Thanks for that. I am actually really looking forward to this when it starts.
Babelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 20:40   #3
*suzie*
Forum Member

Just looked at the link.I love this statistic..6% say their appearance is the biggest source of stress in their lives. I wish that was all there was to worry about! Does look good though. Nice to see a programe that has carried out a detailed survey first.
*suzie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 20:50   #4
will2348
Forum Member

Services: HD TV, PS3, Sky+, Wifi, Broadband, Nokia N97, Radio, Freeview
I find the statistics in the promotions for the show very interesting so i really cannot wait until it starts!

Does anyone actually know when it starts??

Because all the promotion says is "coming soon to 4"
will2348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 20:53   #5
*Eva*
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will2348 View Post
I find the statistics in the promotions for the show very interesting so i really cannot wait until it starts!

Does anyone actually know when it starts??

Because all the promotion says is "coming soon to 4"
I haven't seen a date as yet - a bit like you - the only info I can find is that it starts in the Autumn. It would be good to know exactly when.
Old 03-09-2008, 21:13   #6
amysmum
Forum Member

Services: Providing finance to Amy, Amysdad and Amyssister!
There was a similar documentry in the 70's. It was also called "The Family". It centred around one family from Reading , I think their name was Wilkins, over a period of about 3 months for 18 hours a day and was one of the first "fly on the wall" shows. They all lived in a cramped flat.

If I remember rightly, it was a working class family and filmed leading up to the time of a daughter's wedding. I think there were at least 3 other children in the family as well and there was a lodger called Tom who was engaged or living with Marion, one of the daughters. I think it may have been thier wedding that the film showed.

It made compelling viewing.
amysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 21:23   #7
Ava189
Forum Member

There was an article in the Sunday Telegraph seven magazine, it starts Wed 17th Sep
Ava189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 21:36   #8
amysmum
Forum Member

Services: Providing finance to Amy, Amysdad and Amyssister!
In fact, Margaret Wilkins, the mother in the original family died last month aged 73. She would have been 39 at the time of the documentary, in 1974, I though she was much older.

A year after the series was screened the Wilkins split up and divorced in 1978 after 26 years of marriage.
amysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:32   #9
*suzie*
Forum Member

that is sad news! looks like they have spent a long time looking for this family ..on the c4 website there is information about the search for a family and a bit of background of them
*suzie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 16:02   #10
*Eva*
Forum Member

I wanted to have another look on the site and see the background of the family they chose - I can't seem to get back on to C4 website though. Does anyone know if they've moved the page?
Old 15-09-2008, 19:54   #11
*Eva*
Forum Member

Is anyone watching this Wednesday? It should be good as C4 seem to have some great documentarys lately. The trailers look pretty interesting.

I'm looking forward to the debate after.
Old 15-09-2008, 20:13   #12
linnylou
Forum Member

Services: Adam Lambert: Planet Fierce
I'm going to watch it, though I haven't read up on any of the statistics yet.

I find that Ch4 provide me with 90% of my TV viewing, and I don't watch a lot of TV. They tend to show the most interesting and real programmes, which is a complete turnaround for me, from a few years ago, when I virtually 'lived' in comedy and soap land!
linnylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 20:30   #13
*Eva*
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnylou View Post
I'm going to watch it, though I haven't read up on any of the statistics yet.

I find that Ch4 provide me with 90% of my TV viewing, and I don't watch a lot of TV. They tend to show the most interesting and real programmes, which is a complete turnaround for me, from a few years ago, when I virtually 'lived' in comedy and soap land!
Absolutely. I agree entirely. I used to be a real neighbours and home and away freak but like you, I seem to be glued to channel 4 at the moment. Maybe it's an age thing .
Anyway it always makes for an interesting debate on here after.
Old 15-09-2008, 21:17   #14
Ruth77
Forum Member

The statistics can never be a true representation of the public.

One of them says a percentage of parents who say they regret having children. Whilst many parents may feel that their lives may have been better without children (something you never know until you have them) I'm not sure that they would want to publicise that thought for fear of their children actually seeing it.

Simply because you regret doing something doesn't mean that you don't appreciate the consequences. (if that makes sense?)
Ruth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 21:29   #15
Madam
Forum Member

Services: "I don't think so Sonny Jim" Freddie To WIN!!!
I'm looking forward to when it starts too

OP, link didn't work for me
Madam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 23:01   #16
Prince Monalulu
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth77 View Post
The statistics can never be a true representation of the public.

One of them says a percentage of parents who say they regret having children. Whilst many parents may feel that their lives may have been better without children (something you never know until you have them) I'm not sure that they would want to publicise that thought for fear of their children actually seeing it.

Simply because you regret doing something doesn't mean that you don't appreciate the consequences. (if that makes sense?)
Much like any other survey, you have to take it on trust that people are been truthful.

Assuming it's an anonymous survey why would someone worry about their kids finding out what they'd answered.
Prince Monalulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 23:08   #17
Prince Monalulu
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Eva* View Post
Is anyone watching this Wednesday? It should be good as C4 seem to have some great documentarys lately. The trailers look pretty interesting.

I'm looking forward to the debate after.
I find the family's in the trailers quite interesting too.
I'd be interested to see a bit more of that or at least find out how they found and filmed them.

Given the reviews I've seen the critics seem to be hailing it as a return to proper documentary making, turn on camera, film what happens and don't try and 'create' interesting TV by stirring.

Channel 4 can produce some really good stuff at times,then ruin it by producing tosh like BB.
Old 16-09-2008, 11:03   #18
*Eva*
Forum Member

Apparently C4 were given a time limit of a year to find a suitable family to film. They did a lot of research but never quite found the 'right' family. From what I understand they were a bit panicky at this stage but a few weeks before the deadline they came across the 'Hughes'. I'm sure they are probably not your average family as no doubt they could have found these anywhere!!
Old 16-09-2008, 11:23   #19
Bid-tv
Inactive Member

What were their criteria for finding the 'right' family?
Bid-tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 11:37   #20
*Eva*
Forum Member

I can't help you on that one I'm afraid. I think they have 4 children all teenagers and upwards. I get the impression the kids are very well behaved.
Maybe that's why it took them so long!!!
Old 16-09-2008, 12:34   #21
spoty
Forum Member

I will be giving it a try.

Not wanting to go off topic but does anyone remember 'The Wedding'? it was the same sort of thing but followed a young couple who were tying the knot, It must have been on over 20 years ago, and the girl's family had a swimming pool that took up all of their back garden.
I can not google anything up and just wondered what had happened to them or if I have just dremt it.
spoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 23:06   #22
DavetheScot
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysmum View Post

A year after the series was screened the Wilkins split up and divorced in 1978 after 26 years of marriage.
An ominous thought for the Hughes family!
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 23:39   #23
Prince Monalulu
Forum Member

Quote:
I can't help you on that one I'm afraid. I think they have 4 children all teenagers and upwards. I get the impression the kids are very well behaved.
Maybe that's why it took them so long!!!
As well as finding family's that all sit down and watch TV together or have their meals together.

Probably not a lot worth filming in a family that have dinner on their laps at different times then disappear off to their bedrooms to watch TV, mess about on the computer or listen to music.
Old 16-09-2008, 23:55   #24
SlashNX
Forum Member

Services: Ntl family pack, ntl 128kb broadband, ps2
Quote:
98% of teenagers say they love their parents !!!! That's surprising...
Not really, if you look at the wording. it says "love".

Now, i cant stand living with my mum or spending a lot of time with her, she drives me absolutely crazy.
But I still love her because shes my mum. If i was asked if I loved my mum of course I would say yes, but it wouldnt stop me from complaining about her to my friends all the time and arguing with her.
SlashNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 00:03   #25
Roxysiren
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoty View Post
I will be giving it a try.

Not wanting to go off topic but does anyone remember 'The Wedding'? it was the same sort of thing but followed a young couple who were tying the knot, It must have been on over 20 years ago, and the girl's family had a swimming pool that took up all of their back garden.
I can not google anything up and just wondered what had happened to them or if I have just dremt it.
Sounds like it might be the BBC series "The Marriage" that you are remembering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0kvQknCDZc

Roxysiren is offline   Reply With Quote